Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old January 24 2014, 11:35 PM   #4651
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: PICTURE POST II!

There are things about Collies and miniature collies that make them so cute and lovable.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 11:38 PM   #4652
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

I've been helping my mom clear out the basement, and we've been finding interesting things. Some old luggage, including this piece that she first had as a teenager...it lasted a long time. My sister took it with her to college, but it was too beaten up by the time I went off to school.

How old is it? The last time it was used, Eastern Airlines was still in business.

I don't know why it's been kept all these years, but it's toast now.

Also, this odd version of Scrabble.

It was called RSVP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSVP_(board_game)
Old January 25 2014, 01:20 AM   #4653
RoJoHen
Awesome

Making plans is hard.

Old January 25 2014, 03:12 AM   #4654
Pondwater
Commodore

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
I've been helping my mom clear out the basement, and we've been finding interesting things. Some old luggage, including this piece that she first had as a teenager...it lasted a long time. My sister took it with her to college, but it was too beaten up by the time I went off to school.

How old is it? The last time it was used, Eastern Airlines was still in business.

I don't know why it's been kept all these years, but it's toast now.

Also, this odd version of Scrabble.

It was called RSVP. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSVP_(board_game)

And TWA is now defunct too.

That game is like the Connect Four of Scrabble.
Old January 25 2014, 03:20 AM   #4655
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^Cool game. Never heard of that before.

I love old luggage like that; it always makes me think of how many miles it has traveled and how many places it has been. Too bad it can't be salvaged.
auntiehill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 05:18 AM   #4656
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Making plans is hard.

I want to know this person and split a plate of burgers with him.

Old January 25 2014, 05:21 AM   #4657
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile

Pondwater wrote: View Post

Well, the TWA name is gone, but they're now part of American Airlines. Which really sucks. TWA and Eastern should have merged when they had a chance back in the 80's.

And yeah, I thought of Connect Four, too.

auntiehill wrote: View Post
I love old luggage like that; it always makes me think of how many miles it has traveled and how many places it has been. Too bad it can't be salvaged.
I tried to at least pull off the Eastern sticker (my mom wanted it), but it was pretty much fused to the luggage. Funny thing is, I actually have some old TWA, Northwest, and Continental boarding passes in my scrapbooks! And somewhere in one of my mom's old boxes that never got unpacked, I have little TWA and Eastern junior wing pins. Do airlines even give stuff like that to kids anymore? Just another added expense they won't bother with now, I guess.
Old January 25 2014, 11:14 AM   #4658
RoJoHen
Awesome

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Making plans is hard.

That person would be me, and I don't share burgers.
Old January 25 2014, 12:20 PM   #4659
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Well, the TWA name is gone, but they're now part of American Airlines. Which really sucks. TWA and Eastern should have merged when they had a chance back in the 80's.

I tried to at least pull off the Eastern sticker (my mom wanted it), but it was pretty much fused to the luggage. Funny thing is, I actually have some old TWA, Northwest, and Continental boarding passes in my scrapbooks! And somewhere in one of my mom's old boxes that never got unpacked, I have little TWA and Eastern junior wing pins. Do airlines even give stuff like that to kids anymore? Just another added expense they won't bother with now, I guess.
Yes, JetBlue gives out wings. They even let my son Ian go into the cockpit before they closed the door. This happen on our most recent flight to DisneyWorld.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 01:36 PM   #4660
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt

That game looks very cool, and still in perfect condition to play. Put the kettle on, because we're all coming over.

I love old luggage like that, too. It's certainly from an era when stuff was made to last.

My late father did a lot of business travelling and he always brought a book to read. When he died my brothers and I spent an entire afternoon flipping through all his books (there were hundreds) looking for anything of interest. My parents were in the habit of putting small sentimental items such as birthday cards and such in random books, a habit I've picked up, which was the main reason we were doing this. Also, however, our dad always used an empty sugar packet, stir stick or a paper coaster from the airline as a bookmark. By the end of the afternoon we'd amassed an impressive pile of these items from a myriad of defunct airlines including Wardair, Pan Am, Eastern, Canadian, and a now defunct Caribbean airline whose name escapes me. It was actually quite fun.

By the way, my "miniature collie" is a Shetland Sheepdog. Though it looks exactly like a miniature rough collie it's an unrelated breed. They're hyperspastic bundles of fluff, and I love them. Our Golden Retriever is very gentle and patient with his little brother.
Old January 25 2014, 04:38 PM   #4661
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I just posted this in the "latest purchase" thread but I'm so happy to have it I had to post it here too.

Limited edition, hand-painted statue of Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon, as sculpted by Clayburn Moore. #282/500

Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 09:07 PM   #4662
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Cool!
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 03:08 AM   #4663
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Getting ready to take a couple of pics of some new Star Wars items I scored earlier this evening. I'd post them in the Toy Thread but that'd be a double or even triple post so I'll wait and might just post them in here first. Found the excellent 6" Greedo from the premium Black Series line, which is the best mass-market toy of the character ever released (not including the expensive, premium collector statues and busts).

Old January 26 2014, 04:27 PM   #4664
mari
Captain

Making plans is hard.

This is my husband also. Try to take his burgers and you might end up with a gnawed hand. (I showed him this and he fully agreed, so it's not just me making fun of him.)

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post

Yes, JetBlue gives out wings. They even let my son Ian go into the cockpit before they closed the door. This happen on our most recent flight to DisneyWorld.
I probably have Delta wings from 1985 (flight to Disney World, of course) somewhere in the boxes of my stuff in my parents' attic. I don't think I got to go to the cockpit, but seeing as I was 5 my memories of that trip are mostly the Dumbo ride and the pool at our motel. I'll have to keep JetBlue in mind when my kid is old enough to get excited about wings. We usually fly Southwest now and I'm reasonably certain they don't do that.
mari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26 2014, 04:44 PM   #4665
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

mari wrote: View Post

This is my husband also. Try to take his burgers and you might end up with a gnawed hand. (I showed him this and he fully agreed, so it's not just me making fun of him.)

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post

I probably have Delta wings from 1985 (flight to Disney World, of course) somewhere in the boxes of my stuff in my parents' attic. I don't think I got to go to the cockpit, but seeing as I was 5 my memories of that trip are mostly the Dumbo ride and the pool at our motel. I'll have to keep JetBlue in mind when my kid is old enough to get excited about wings. We usually fly Southwest now and I'm reasonably certain they don't do that.
At one time JetBlue was the best airlines to fly. They have come way down from then, but still the better of most airlines. We like to fly JetBlue, so thats our default airlines. They make traveling the east coast real easy, plus the best leg room of any airlines. Being 6' 6" that is really important, on most trips we try and get the More Legroom which is great.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote