TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 1 2014, 09:09 PM   #16
MakeshiftPython
Captain

Re: Kirk's Health in XII

For a moment I read the title with "XIII", because I'm actually more interested in seeing the consequences of Kirk being brought back to life via Khan's blood. Seeing the side effects that no one anticipated and showing that the blood is way too complicated to work with thus the Abramsverse has no cure for death.
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 12:35 AM   #17
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

MakeshiftPython wrote: View Post
For a moment I read the title with "XIII", because I'm actually more interested in seeing the consequences of Kirk being brought back to life via Khan's blood. Seeing the side effects that no one anticipated and showing that the blood is way too complicated to work with thus the Abramsverse has no cure for death.
Neither case was cured of death. They were cured of fatal invasions of the blood/body, before they actually passed beyond (Radiation for Kirk and whatever Cancer or Cancer-like Fatal condition the little girl had)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 02:02 AM   #18
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

Do you think Spock and McCoy where right?
Spockkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 07:35 PM   #19
trevanian
Rear Admiral

HoHoHocutus wrote: View Post
There could have also been some more direct physical trauma from the attack as well (Kirk being directly in the line of fire when that massive window exploded in front of him, for instance). Not enough to stop him from doing his job during a crisis, but enough to have the very cautious doctor concerned for his friend.
If we were to buy into the physical trauma notion, they could have treated it in a way that lent itself to filmmaking via lens tricks and sound effects, portraying how he might be seeing the world a bit 'off.' It would even hearken back to Shatner getting tinnitus, because even just the ear-ringing can drive you crazy over time.

But by virtue of the fact that they didn't choose to treat it using cinematic tools, and the fact it doesn't integrate into the story, it just lays there like wordplay, at least getting MCCoy's dialog count up from near-nothing, but not in service to the film (as opposed to McCoy in TWOK where he is very clear about what Kirk needs to do when they talk in his apartment.)

Kinda think maybe they needed a rewrite done by somebody WAY outside of Bad Robot to bring some basic 'this is a movie' perspective back to things, who would have lopped off these dangling modifiers and such, and perhaps found a real core to hang all this on (which would be easier if you just drop the idea of it being Khan, too, and concentrated on the general s31 angle w/o embracing the 'a difference that makes no difference is no difference' that is KhanMinus2.0 in a nutshell for me.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 07:47 PM   #20
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Neither case was cured of death. They were cured of fatal invasions of the blood/body, before they actually passed beyond (Radiation for Kirk and whatever Cancer or Cancer-like Fatal condition the little girl had)
And (if I haven't already said it) the Federation and Starfleet would be foolish to give up that blood, but would synthesize it and turn it into a cure; this would serve (of sorts) as a way for what Khan/Harrison did to be redeemed (out of all of that death and destruction, came some good.)
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:08 PM   #21
Ln X
Fleet Captain

This! This hast to happen, they have to throw in some caveat in the third movie. But maybe it's a case of letting the genie out of the bottle.

Anyway we had two moments were Bones was worried about Kirk's health, but nothing came of it. Physically Kirk must be fine because Starfleet wouldn't send a captain who is not physically fit enough to complete such an urgent mission. Plus I don't see anything mentally wrong with Kirk, yeah he was pissed off but who wouldn't be after their mentor (and perhaps Pike was a close friend of Kirk's) died?

No those two moments were simply there to give Bones something to do, which for me is disappointing because I would like to see more of JJ (or AU) Bones. The group of scenes surrounding the two scenes where Bone's expresses concern about Kirk's health feel like the ball has been dropped on a lot of things. Act two is full of balls dropping but I guess that's a point of contention for another thread.

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2 2014, 09:12 PM   #22
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Kirk was a patsy, I doubt Marcus gave a damn about his health - he was supposed to die, after all!
Old January 2 2014, 11:09 PM   #23
Santa Claus
"Festive"

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Ln X wrote: View Post
This! This hast to happen, they have to throw in some caveat in the third movie. But maybe it's a case of letting the genie out of the bottle.
No, it doesn't, and they don't. In the world of Star Trek (TOS, TNG, DS9, etc), death has been cured a dozen times over, it's just no one acknowledges it.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 07:38 AM   #24
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

Will they explain about Kirk's health in another film?
Old January 16 2014, 08:00 AM   #25
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Spockkirk wrote: View Post
Will they explain about Kirk's health in another film?
That remains to be seen (we probably won't know much of anything about story until a couple of years from now) but some folks would like to see the question addressed in some way.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 01:16 AM   #26
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

As would I since I am curious about stuff like this. I wonder why they didn't say anything about Spock's health as well though cause Spock was the one who saw both Pike and Kirk die.

Seeing someone die would effect someone greatly wouldn't it and what about the shock of it all?