New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 18 2014, 04:12 AM   #151
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: How powerful is a Galaxy class starship?

It's not that I'm discounting the theory (believe me, I'm not), but I also think it's a valid theory that some improvements of the Galaxy-class were not dictated by the Dominion War and just were already in place.

But I do believe that the Galaxy-class ships we saw in the Dominion War didn't carry any families members but carried more tactical & medical personnel...but as far as them being transformed into essentially "Battlestar Galacticas" each with dozens of starfighters, I don't quite see that (shuttles would still be needed, even just as evacuation vehicles). As deep-space vessels, they'd still need science equipment, although it would be for tactical analysis & research and long-range intelligence-gathering purposes. And while we saw Galaxy-class ships deployed like capital ships in mixed fleet operations, individually, they'd probably serve as troop transports like the alternate Enterprise did in "Yesterday's Enterprise."
Old January 18 2014, 07:46 AM   #152
Xerxes1979
Captain

The Enterprise-D was well short of the historical age of second line status. Which was probably something like twenty plus years if we go by Star Trek III or lines from Conspiracy and Yesterday's Enterprise. Also previous ships were not obsoleted solely by technology but to a large degree by ship displacement. The Galaxy is still the largest combatant by size.

In relative power it probably still better than a vast majority of Star Fleet save the brand new Sovereign class. I don't believe the Akiras to be all that recent(Nebula and Akira registry number comparison) and would have been plagued by the same peacetime design considerations all pre-Borg ships were built to.
Old January 18 2014, 10:32 AM   #153
EmperorTiberius
Captain

Not as powerful as Starfleet could build ships, but most powerful in the fleet composed of cruisers and lesser vessels at the time. Perhaps ships like Sovereign could match her or were slightly inferior or superior, but not by much.

I don't believe in fanwanking and huge gaps in power between these ships, as the time span between them is just too short for there to be much of a difference.
EmperorTiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 05:56 AM   #154
RunawayStarShip
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Agreed, it doesn't really make sense for the Sovereign to be so advanced that it makes a Galaxy obsolete (especially if upgrades are taken into account).

In terms of volume, relative to a Constitution-class starship (volume = 1), the Galaxy is almost two and a half times the size of a Sovereign.

D'deridex = 123.1 (!!!)
Scimitar = 94.4

Galaxy = 27.5
Nebula = 21.0

Valdore-type = 22.8

Ambassador = 13.6
Sovereign = 11.5
Galaxy stardrive = 9.4

Vor'cha = 5.7
Galor = 5.5

Akira = 6.7
Excelsior = 4.1/4.7
Intrepid = 3.0
Nebula stardrive = 2.7
Constitution refit = 1.1
Miranda = 1.0
Defiant = 0.3

Out of Starfleet's innumerable vessels, only the Sovereign and Ambassador are larger than a Galaxy's stardrive... and not by much. Even if we assume a Galaxy's saucer is completely deadweight, there's no reason to assume an upgraded Galaxy would be less than a match for a Sovereign.

Also, for whatever reason, the Romulans must punch below their own weight (although I would bet that a D'deridex would still be top dog in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants). Perhaps much of their starships' volumes are used by equipment for their quantum singularities?
RunawayStarShip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 08:25 AM   #155
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

RunawayStarShip wrote: View Post
Agreed, it doesn't really make sense for the Sovereign to be so advanced that it makes a Galaxy obsolete
And then we'd have to consider what "obsolete" would really mean, too. If the Miranda, Oberth, Excelsior, etc. have shown, Starfleet will probably squeeze as much as it can from models that are clearly dependable, despite being decades old. Those ships function primarily as some kind of support or front line duty, and they served side-by-side with vessels much more advanced than them. Even if an Excelsior served alongside a Sovereign (which was almost the case with Nemesis, along with other Starfleet ships), that Excelsior ship can't and won't be written off so quickly. So the Galaxy being obsolete and thus unusable when there are Oberths still in action seems to be an exaggeration.

Last edited by Cyke101; January 19 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:26 PM   #156
jmampilly
Lieutenant Commander

It is highly unlikely that the Galaxy could be outdated so quickly. Regardless, Galaxies naturally evolve, further prolonging their relevance.
jmampilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:02 PM   #157
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

The Galaxy Class Starship, is possibly one of the most powerful ships we have ever seen in Star Trek. The only Federation ship, I think, that is more powerful it is the Sovereign class.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 02:57 PM   #158
Viper78
Lieutenant Commander

The Galaxy class is supposed to have a 100 year lifespan, so you would assume that it was designed with significant upgrades in mind. I also doubt there would be a big difference if any between the Galaxy & Sovereign classes as they were only launched several years apart & upgrades would be compatible with either ship.

I have always thought of the Sovereign as a replacement for the Excelsior class rather than the Galaxy. To me it would make more sense for Starfleet to have designed it to replace a much older class ship rather than a relatively new class.

Also it is likely the Sovereign would have been in the design phase when the Galaxy was launched.