RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,585
Posts: 5,403,658
Members: 24,866
Currently online: 627
Newest member: Enterprise Capt

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 21 2014, 02:27 AM   #391
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Nice.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:39 AM   #392
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

No Stan Lee cameo.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:51 AM   #393
Mr. Adventure
Admiral
 
Mr. Adventure's Avatar
 
Location: Mr. Adventure
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Yeesh, check out all the Stan hate in those comments.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:54 AM   #394
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Norfolk, VA
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

I had no idea the cameos were because he helped create the character whose movie he's in. I just assumed it's because he's the most famous person at Marvel right now.

The interview doesn't make it clear whose decision it was not to appear. The article seems to imply it was the studios, but I could see Stan Lee making the decision himself because he doesn't view them as his characters. Or it was hard to fit him as a human in the movie.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:56 AM   #395
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Stan didn't create Captain America, either.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 03:30 PM   #396
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral
 
The Dead Mixer's Avatar
 
Location: Connecticut
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

But he has a long association with the character...I think writing Cap was his first job in comics, and he wrote Cap's reintroduction into the Silver Age and many subsequent stories featuring him. The original GotG came along after his time as an active writer/editor at Marvel.
__________________
The Old Mixer, celebrating 50 years under our Fab Overlords.
The Dead Mixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 05:34 PM   #397
I Am The Walrus
Rear Admiral
 
I Am The Walrus's Avatar
 
Location: Saga
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to I Am The Walrus Send a message via Yahoo to I Am The Walrus
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

he didn't have a cameo in the Blade films either. like Guardians, he had little to nothing to do with Blade.
I Am The Walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 07:11 PM   #398
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Yeah, Stan is the one who brought Captain America into the modern Marvel 616 world. It was he who created the "man out of time" angle. The frozen in ice and revived mythos. Without those concepts that Stan added to the character we might not have the Cap we have today. So his cameo is relevant.

Stan does seem only to appear where he created them or in Caps case heavily influenced.
He's not in Elektra, Blade trilogy, Ghost Rider films or the Punisher films. Didn't create them nor do anything to make them into the characters they are.

I did just read that Disney is apparently adding a GotG 30 sec Super Bowl spot.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 10:24 AM   #399
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

The Old Mixer wrote: View Post
The original GotG came along after his time as an active writer/editor at Marvel.
Actually, they came along in 1969, when Stan was still in the thick of things-- but they were created by Arnold Drake. Or at least written by Arnold Drake. I have no idea how they came about behind the scenes. Very likely at that point Roy Thomas had something to do with it.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 11:29 AM   #400
Takeru
Fleet Captain
 
Takeru's Avatar
 
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Good and I hope he isn't seen seen in any future Marvel movie either, because I find his cameos usually annoying. I think it's because they are too obvious and in your face. A good cameo is easy to miss, that is not possible with Stan Lee being front and center and usually getting a line.

I honestly don't give a crap if he co-created a bunch of characters, Joanne K. Rowling created Harry Potter all by herself and they didn't put a witch hat on her head and had her mug for the camera in every Harry Potter movie. Just because someone's the creator doesn't mean he or she should appear all the time.

The only one who pulled off a bunch of cameos was Hitchcock and that only worked because they really were blink and you'll miss it cameos and not "Look at me, I'm right here!" scenes.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 11:51 AM   #401
Atticus
Lieutenant Commander
 
Location: UK
Send a message via AIM to Atticus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Atticus Send a message via Yahoo to Atticus
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Takeru wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Good and I hope he isn't seen seen in any future Marvel movie either, because I find his cameos usually annoying. I think it's because they are too obvious and in your face. A good cameo is easy to miss, that is not possible with Stan Lee being front and center and usually getting a line.

I honestly don't give a crap if he co-created a bunch of characters, Joanne K. Rowling created Harry Potter all by herself and they didn't put a witch hat on her head and had her mug for the camera in every Harry Potter movie. Just because someone's the creator doesn't mean he or she should appear all the time.

The only one who pulled off a bunch of cameos was Hitchcock and that only worked because they really were blink and you'll miss it cameos and not "Look at me, I'm right here!" scenes.
You've not seen the one from Marnie have you? Or North by Northwest. I would count his cameos as in exactly the same spirit as the Stan Lees ones, a bit of a fun nod and a wink to the audience, and they are certainly often less-than-subtle.

Besides, Stan Lee being front and centre is the whole point! The Marvel films are meant to be fun. They're not, ultimately, meant to be taken remotely seriously. Stan Lee's inclusion just underlines this. They always make me smile and I can't think of a single one where his inclusion hasn't made the film a little bit extra special.
Atticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 04:11 PM   #402
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

There are cameos where he says nothing. This one comes to mind.

X-Men: he's the hotdog vendor on the beach as the now transformed Senator Kelly comes out of the surf.

Now they could've cast anyone for "hotdog vendor", heck it could've just been beach goers gathered, no hotdog vendor. Stan being in that scene is not distracting.

Has he been a bit more upfront in some, sure but I'd argue they don't distract. Some even are pivotal.

Daredevil: A young Matt Murdock pushes a person to safety to avoid being hit by a truck. Why not be Stan Lee? No lines there either.

Incredible Hulk: Someone has to get Gamma Poisoning from the Banner contaminated fruit drink to tip off Ross. Why not be Stan Lee? His simple line: Oh, my! *faints*
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:02 PM   #403
Avalon
Captain
 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Location: Avalon
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

I think my favorite Stan Lee cameo is the one in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Spidey and the Lizard are duking it out in the background while music teacher Stan is listening to music on headphones in the foreground, utterly oblivious to the battle (and several close calls) going on behind him.
__________________
Ancient Reed Rager
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 06:57 PM   #404
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker
 
Savage Dragon's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Takeru wrote: View Post
Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Good and I hope he isn't seen seen in any future Marvel movie either, because I find his cameos usually annoying. I think it's because they are too obvious and in your face. A good cameo is easy to miss, that is not possible with Stan Lee being front and center and usually getting a line.

I honestly don't give a crap if he co-created a bunch of characters, Joanne K. Rowling created Harry Potter all by herself and they didn't put a witch hat on her head and had her mug for the camera in every Harry Potter movie. Just because someone's the creator doesn't mean he or she should appear all the time.

The only one who pulled off a bunch of cameos was Hitchcock and that only worked because they really were blink and you'll miss it cameos and not "Look at me, I'm right here!" scenes.
Dude, why so bitter? Stan is the man!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 11:42 PM   #405
Aldo
Admiral
 
Aldo's Avatar
 
Location: Somewhere Out there beneath the pale moonlight.
Re: Marvel planning Guardians of the Galaxy movie!

Avalon wrote: View Post
I think my favorite Stan Lee cameo is the one in THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: Spidey and the Lizard are duking it out in the background while music teacher Stan is listening to music on headphones in the foreground, utterly oblivious to the battle (and several close calls) going on behind him.
My favorite Stan Lee cameo was from Captain America, and he got a line in that movie and it was hilarious: "I thought he was taller"
__________________
Don't believe everything I say.
Aldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
guardians of the galaxy, marvel, marvel cinematic universe, mcu phase 2

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.