Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: Do you want to see a reboot of TOS for the next show?
Yes, I'd like to see Kirk & Spock (or other next gen crew) again on TV. 17 19.54%
Maybe... it depends on _____. 5 5.75%
No, I'd like to see a new crew. 65 74.71%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 21 2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Re: TV: A reboot or a new crew?

Dukhat wrote: View Post
It worked for the movies, and it will work for television.
I don't know if that's a given. Although there are examples of TV reboots working out, there are a lot more of them failing. The ones that succeed are made relevant for today, and are very fundamentally changed. Even though the new movies are obviously visually updated, I don't think there's enough to carry a series with the same old crew (especially since TV isn't geared towards VFX and one-liners). So if a reboot happened, you'd almost have to expect there to be some more drastic changes. While you may get Kirk and Spock, they probably wouldn't be like the ones we remember. Otherwise it would be really stale.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 12:55 AM   #17
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

It really has to be edgier to succeed IMO. I want to see 13 ep seasons of quality tv, like a lot of shows are today.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 01:24 AM   #18
Dukhat
Commodore

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
Dukhat wrote: View Post
It worked for the movies, and it will work for television.
I don't know if that's a given. Although there are examples of TV reboots working out, there are a lot more of them failing. The ones that succeed are made relevant for today, and are very fundamentally changed. Even though the new movies are obviously visually updated, I don't think there's enough to carry a series with the same old crew (especially since TV isn't geared towards VFX and one-liners). So if a reboot happened, you'd almost have to expect there to be some more drastic changes. While you may get Kirk and Spock, they probably wouldn't be like the ones we remember. Otherwise it would be really stale.
I wasn't implying that a new Trek series with Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise should be a carbon-copy of '60's TOS. nuBSG had many of the "same" characters and the "same" ship, but it was obviously a reboot, as EJO's Adama is clearly not the same person as Lorne Greene's Adama, etc. But as long as the spirit of those characters and that ship are the same, then all you need is the name recognition to go along with it and it will have a better chance of success than trying to sell new characters and a new ship to an audience.
Old January 22 2014, 01:25 AM   #19
2takesfrakes
Commodore

STAR TREK definitely has to become edgier. I don't think that would mean "losing" anything, in terms of the show's optomism, or that the series can't have "heart" or that some really big questions can't be raised. But it's got to be fun to watch. You've got to get caught up in it ...
Old January 22 2014, 05:21 PM   #20
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Star Treks XI and XII are really as edgy as Trek should be (medium profanity and mild sexuality). Trek should span and appeal to a fairly wide age group.
Old January 23 2014, 07:16 AM   #21
Rory1080p
Lieutenant Junior Grade

no series reboot, I am not overly keen on the new films tbh, any new Trek should be a new crew in a new setting or time frame (post TNG/DS9/VOY ideally) with a new more modern Sci-Fi take on things, maybe have the Federation decimated by war or something and have a much more diverse crew sent out to rescue survivors on various worlds and deal with threats, that would be kinda cool I think.

now just to pitch my idea to Paramount and hope for the best?
Rory1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 09:37 AM   #22
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

I'd like to see something new set in the 25th century. I wouldn't have Earth destroyed, but the planet has a lot of damage from a new race that attacked the Federation and Earth. Over 50% of the population is killed.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 02:01 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

More war and death? Ugh. Count me out.
Old January 23 2014, 02:38 PM   #24
anh165
Commander

Every time someone asks the question whether there should be yet another spin-off with a "new crew" - another question needs to be answered first.

The concept of the "TOS crew" have been there and done that for 50 years, what could an unknown set of new characters possibly have to offer?

A TOS/nu-trek script can easily mandate that Kirk and the Enterprise enters different galaxies, universes, time travel, get into war and conflicts, resolve them, and discover new life and perspectives and better themselves week in week out.

This is the scope of Kirk and co in Star Trek, there is no limit to what adventures the original crew can get into.

It is a winning formula, why anyone would think another Tom Paris, Harry Kim or Quark emulating what the TOS crew did would work I will never know.
Old January 23 2014, 04:06 PM   #25
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

anh165 wrote: View Post
Every time someone asks the question whether there should be yet another spin-off with a "new crew" - another question needs to be answered first.

The concept of the "TOS crew" have been there and done that for 50 years, what could an unknown set of new characters possibly have to offer?
Something we haven't seen before, new characters and situations for a new generation like TNG was (the same question was asked of them, but it's also asked of every new TV series with new characters).

A case could really be made that there was overkill after TNG with too many Trek shows coming out on the heels of one another (if not stepping on one another's toes). Had it not been UPN, VOY and ENT wouldn't have been made and there might have been a good long while without a Trek series after DS9 (it's even conceivable that we'd only now would be in a very different Series IV in such a case).
Old January 23 2014, 04:11 PM   #26
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

New crew, new ship, new adventures.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 04:44 PM   #27
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

If created and developed properly, the focus and "hook" for a new Trek series should be the characters--who they are as individuals, how they interact with one another, and how they react to whatever situations they encounter.

With an all new crew you can do whatever you want with them (within reason of course).
Old January 23 2014, 04:55 PM   #28
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
If created and developed properly, the focus and "hook" for a new Trek series should be the characters--who they are as individuals, how they interact with one another, and how they react to whatever situations they encounter.

With an all new crew you can do whatever you want with them (within reason of course).
My thoughts exactly.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:01 PM   #29
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Drew decreasing ratings with every attempt after TNG.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 05:16 PM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Drew decreasing ratings with every attempt after TNG.
And yet TNG (a series with a new crew, new ship, and new adventures) was a ratings success.