TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 23 2014, 12:10 AM   #151
Poinsettia
Commodore

Re: Question to those most disappointed with the SW prequels

Wookiepedia might have an explanation.

...Close my eyes, it's three in the afternoon...
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:10 AM   #152
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

Here are the relevant passages:

"All organic damage has been repaired." The droid checked another readout. "This systemic failure cannot be explained."
Not physically, Obi-Wan thought. He squeezed her hand as though he could keep life within her body by simple pressure. "Padme, you have to hold on."
Padme reached across with her free hand, with the hand she had laid upon the brow of her firstborn son, and pressed something into Obi-Wan's palm.
He stood in the hall outside, looking down at what she had pressed into his hand. It was a pendant of some kind, an amulet, unfamiliar sigils carved into some sort of organic material, strung on a loop of leather. In the Force, he could feel traces of the touch of her skin.
Obi-Wan looked down at the simple, child-like symbols carved into it, and felt from it in the Force soaring echoes of transcendent love, and the bleak, black despair of unendurable heartbreak.
So the element of heartbreak is there, but so are elements of Padme's connection to Anakin, possibly through the Force.
Old January 23 2014, 12:15 AM   #153
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I think it is such a wank the idea that a strong woman can give up her own children because, LURVE. There are times when I feel like Lucas is just kind of stunted and this is one of them.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:23 AM   #154
2takesfrakes
Commodore

It's very obvious to me that George Lucas, quite simply, does not understand women (he may even be gay). This is completely laid bare in the prequels. In A NEW HOPE, it was masked by the fact that the boys were fighting eachother over her ... anything more is a waste of time, in this movie. When we get to RETURN of the JEDI, Han and Leia have this relationship that aspires to reach the maturity of couples in highschool. By the time we get to ATTACK of the CLONES, there's noplace to hide ... the romance is the the centerpiece of this movie. George doesn't understand how to express Star Crossed Lovers. I mean ... the damning proof is there. It's onscreen.

Now, in REVENGE of the SITH, a woman is giving birth and this just couldn't be more alien to George, trying to express this. He knows he wants to kill her off, but he doesn't want to give her a subplot of her own. She has to die in this storyline he's committed to, where there's no mechanism for it, anymore. She gave up politics, so she's off the radar. She's out of the loop, so no hitmen are going to kill her. George needs her to really, just ... drop dead ... so he does so. And he really believes it's crucial for the drama. It's very hard to excuse and justify, the scene that's inserted into this ... uh ... this movie.
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:55 AM   #155
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
It's very obvious to me that George Lucas, quite simply, does not understand women (he may even be gay).
Dude. There are more things wrong with that sentence than with the entire pod race sequence from TPM. And that's saying something.
Old January 23 2014, 12:56 AM   #156
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

Damn.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:02 AM   #157
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

One big difference is I liked the pod race.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:04 AM   #158
Poinsettia
Commodore

I did too.

...Close my eyes, it's three in the afternoon...
Poinsettia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:06 AM   #159
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

I did too - for the most part. It was a CGI tour de force that was actually thrilling and delivered more or less what it was designed to: display Anakin's incredible piloting skills and show off the then-new and recent CGI imaging technology by creating a slew of cool and interesting aliens who were also in the race.

TPM has some major flaws but the Boonta Eve Podrace isn't one of them.

And 2takes, you realize George is a married, heterosexual guy, right? As per his writing problems, well you don't have to be any specific orientation to suck at penning love and female-focused scenes in films. Plenty of screenwriters couldn't create a textured, believable male-female relationship if their Hollywood careers depended on it.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:08 AM   #160
The Old Building & Loan
Vice Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
From a looks perspective it was good casting, both Anakin and Padme are very easily seen as Luke and Leia's parents. Luke in ESB and ROTJ particularly looks like Anakin.
Hamill and Fisher didn't think so. I remember reading an article from around when AOTC was coming out, where one of them was quoted as having discussed the matter with the other, saying something along the lines of, "Can you imagine the two of us coming from a couple of models like that?"
Old January 23 2014, 01:13 AM   #161
2takesfrakes
Commodore

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
And 2takes, you realize George is a married, heterosexual guy, right?
Lots of gay men are married to women, for any one - or combination of - reasons. Lucas would, by no means, be the first - if that, in fact, is what's going on ...
Old January 23 2014, 01:19 AM   #162
Yuletide Caroler
Rear Admiral

View Yuletide Caroler's Twitter Profile

It's very obvious to me that George Lucas, quite simply, does not understand women (he may even be gay).
&
cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
And 2takes, you realize George is a married, heterosexual guy, right?
Lots of gay men are married to women, for any one - or combination of - reasons. Lucas would, by no means, be the first - if that, in fact, is what's going on ...
Your evidence that Lucas might be secretly gay is that he doesn't understand women? Do you mean to say this lack of understanding is defining trait of gay men? Because that's a fundamental implication of your statement.

Better to simply say: Based on how he's written the prequels, Lucas doesn't seem to understand women. There's still an inherent generalization to it, but it's a more valid point of view - one that I completely understand. The way you've phrased it, though ... it's a bit inflammatory and devalues what had been, to that point, a relatively thoughtful, interesting discussion and debate.
Old January 23 2014, 01:27 AM   #163
BigKrampus
Rear Admiral

Well, I will join battle about the podrace sequence another day. But for 2takes, just to break it down for you:

1. Sexual orientation has nothing to do with understanding women.
2. Writing ability has nothing to do with understanding life (any more than that someone who can't draw is necessarily blind).
3. Insofar as sexual orientation might affect the potential of understanding women, gay men are generally better-placed to understand women than straight men are in many ways (on account of sharing certain shortfalls of privilege with many women).
4. Speculating about Lucas' sexuality is a ridiculous distraction from what would otherwise have been a decent post.
5. The frame you are probably looking for is that Lucas writes relationships poorly.
Old January 23 2014, 01:28 AM   #164
2takesfrakes
Commodore

As I have no direct evidence - to say nothing of proof - that George Lucas is a homosexual, I retract the statement, unreservedly.
Old January 23 2014, 01:29 AM   #165
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I'm not homophobic, but...
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote