RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,695
Members: 24,830
Currently online: 533
Newest member: honeybadger

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 20 2014, 05:15 PM   #16
milojthatch
Lieutenant

Re: What do you LOVE about Star Trek?

Another thing I love about Star Trek is the attempt to have a franchise continuity over the films and shows. I realize that such things were not as big of a deal while TOS was on the air, or that after hundreds and hundreds of hours of Trek, that keeping events straight can be hard, but I think the powers that be did a good job all things considered.

I appropriate the attempt as it really helped establish that there is a whole mythology to this franchise, which I really love about Star Trek.
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 11:04 PM   #17
2takesfrakes
Commodore

I love that Human's shit don't stink in STAR TREK.

We ROCK the Galaxy and everybody wants to be US!!! Smile, Reginald Barclay ... you're HUMAN, boy and you know what? At least you're not an alien!!! That's right ...

And it makes you the envy of the whole known Universe. Do that HUMAN thing you do! Flaunt your Humanity ... investigate it ... celebrate it ... that's what it's FOR!!!
2takesfrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 11:10 PM   #18
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Pointed ears.
Old January 21 2014, 12:24 AM   #19
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I love the fact that in Trek, technological advancement is almost always portrayed as a good thing. Sci-fi has an unfortunate tendency to demonize technology and turn it into the boogeyman. Sure, they had the odd transporter malfunction or holodeck mishap, but Star Trek for the most part views the progress of technology positively.
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 12:44 AM   #20
Data girl
Ensign

I love the bad guys especially in DS9. They are charming and crazy at the same time.
Data girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 12:47 AM   #21
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
I love the fact that in Trek, technological advancement is almost always portrayed as a good thing.
Unless it's someone other than the Federation developing it.
Old January 21 2014, 12:58 AM   #22
BigJake
Rear Admiral

milojthatch wrote: View Post
Another thing I love about Star Trek is the attempt to have a franchise continuity over the films and shows.
It really is astonishing, and easy to forget how unusual it is, just how long a run Trek had for this.
Old January 21 2014, 01:01 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

People sometimes talk about the continuity like it's utter fail but it's been a very well done universe full of attention to detail, shout outs to other series and obvious effort put in to be faithful to what's been established as well as build on it.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 01:06 AM   #24
lurok
Commodore

Initially...Janeway, EMH, Kes, Seven.

Later, everyone. Yes, even TNG. And Bill Ware Theiss costume design (heaven!) and TOS production design and lighting (so much with so little).

Passion. Drama. Sex. Humour (lots of it). Even the technobabble can be occasionally sexy. The allegories/metaphors?...not so much...

I LOVE the way the movies made the TOS TV crew even larger-than-life. Kirk et al finally found their perfect medium (as JJ has proved).

T'Pol.

Last edited by lurok; January 21 2014 at 01:23 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 01:08 AM   #25
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Oh that is such a good way of putting it, the TOS movies really did make them larger than life! I think that's part of what attracts me to the TOS movies. They're clunky but they all about the Big Three in a Big Way!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 01:18 AM   #26
Delta Vega
Lieutenant Commander

T`Pol

Seven of Nine

Helen Noel
Delta Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 01:35 AM   #27
urbandefault
Captain

milojthatch wrote: View Post
A question not just about what drew you into being a fan of the Star Trek franchise, but what has sustained that fandom? What about Star Trek do you love?

I'll start with a few random things that come to mind:

-I love the adventure of the whole thing. Something that every version of Star Trek has maintained (even JJ-Trek) is a sense of adventure, and I love that about Star Trek.

-Great characters! It amazes me that with so many characters, the various powers that be have been able to populate this fictional world with not a few, but a great many wonderful, well written characters. I was lucky enough to work at Star Trek: The Experience for a short time and I remember one of the interview questions I was asked was "Who is your favorite character?" My answer was that it was a hard question to answer because it's like asking who your favorite child is? And it's so true, far to many great characters to put just one on top.

-I love that the same show that some have (maybe unfairly) labeled as "a Godless Atheistic program" could also come up with a line like this from Deep Space Nine:

“That's the thing about faith. If you don't have it you can't understand it. And if you do, no explanation is necessary.”

-Kira Nerys
That's the awesome thing about Star Trek, not just that it deals with social issues, but that it's not afraid to explore all sides of an issue and nearly ever possible point of view. A rare thing for a major Hollywood tv show to do, and it basically set the standard for it.

Those are but a few of the reasons I love Star Trek. I may list more, but what about the rest of you? Why do YOU love Star Trek?
All of the above, and add the NCC-1701, the refit, and the -A. The JJ Enterprise ain't no slouch, either.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 10:56 AM   #28
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
People sometimes talk about the continuity like it's utter fail but it's been a very well done universe full of attention to detail, shout outs to other series and obvious effort put in to be faithful to what's been established as well as build on it.
Since I'm the one who's been shitting on Trek's continuity recently, I should point out that they DO create a very good illusion of everything taking place in one big universe (so long as you don't look too closely) and spotting all the references and callbacks is one of my favourite things about Trek.
Old January 23 2014, 01:02 AM   #29
2takesfrakes
Commodore

The one thing I've always been aware of is what STAR TREK means to people. I'm not even sure what it means to me ... why I love it, so much. I suspect that it's because it's always been there, partly. But mostly, because of the optomism. Even when it's necessary that someone dies in STAR TREK - a star wants to leave the show, etc. - there's some uptick to it, to ensure that hope lives on.

For example, Yar gets killed in TNG, which sucks. We're not getting her back ... Denise Crosby's going onto other things. BUT ... Yar gets a funeral where her hologram message to her friends, not to be manipulating, but to restore a sense of hope to the proceedings.

And STAR TREK, in general, has given a lot of people not just entertainment but hope. Hope that these ideas that we're seeing of people who accept eachother and work together in peace for mutual advantage and understanding are shared by other people calling themselves fans of the show. And just the fact that STAR TREK genuinely wants to entertain, I think. That always speaks to me.
2takesfrakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:05 AM   #30
Pondwater
Commodore

A lot of things to love.