Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 20 2014, 08:11 PM   #31
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

Re: Obvious plot hole at the beginning

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
The start of the film is filled with massive plot holes and problems.

The gross violation of the PD is a biggy though.
It really isn't. It happened all the time, in every iteration. The TNG cast were the only ones to do more than pay lip service, and even they ignored it pretty routinely.

This notion of the prime directive as an inviolable rule, not just of the fictional institution of Starfleet, but of real people who intend to write a story set in the Star Trek universe, is a fan made notion that I don't recall ever existing before Into Darkness.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 08:39 PM   #32
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
The start of the film is filled with massive plot holes and problems.

The gross violation of the PD is a biggy though.
It really isn't. It happened all the time, in every iteration. The TNG cast were the only ones to do more than pay lip service, and even they ignored it pretty routinely.

This notion of the prime directive as an inviolable rule, not just of the fictional institution of Starfleet, but of real people who intend to write a story set in the Star Trek universe, is a fan made notion that I don't recall ever existing before Into Darkness.
Yea, my interpretation of the Prime Directive has always been "Don't interfere or you will be required to defend yourself". So, a Captain, can violate The Prime Directive, if he thinks it's appropriate, and he will be judged after the fact if he made the right decision.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 10:46 AM   #33
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
They know exactly what their actions will result in. Those people who were going to die, are now going to live. Obviously, the better option in every way.
And in a couple centuries time when they've become the greatest scrouge the galaxy has known, having obliterated Federation and enslaved the Klingon Empire, then the survivors will know who to blame. Yes, I’m aware this is a very extreme case, but there is always the possibility it could happen.

In “Dear Doctor”, Phlox says essentially that he can’t play god, that it was the Valakians fate to die out even though he had found a cure for them. Just because they can intervene doesn’t mean that they should. That may sound callous, but fate/destiny (whatever you want to call it) happens for a reason and to make changes won’t always make things better. Why is it that Starfleet doesn’t travel back in time to kill Hitler, stop Khan, etc? There would be no way of knowing what would happen things would be drastically altered forever. I know its all very hypothetical, but non-interference makes sense to me.

Add to that the need for a starship to be underwater, even though every other cultural study undertaken by a Trek crew has been done safely from orbit.
If their actions were legal and sanctioned by Starfleet why would they need to hide? It makes what they're doing even more under handed. When they got back to Earth the entire command staff should have been demoted and reassigned as soon as the ship docked, with a more experienced crew being assigned to the ship.
Old January 22 2014, 10:56 AM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

"Dear Doctor" was disgusting. The future is just possibilities, that's just a BS excuse for inaction. If they become Space Nazis, deal with them THEN not now.

And of course, stopping the Volcano was not part of their mission. They were sent to survey they planet, not alter it's destiny. Kirk and Spock have morals and could not allow innocents to die, dumb regulations be damned. If "an experienced Starfleet crew" would have stood by and watched lives end for no good reason, then the universe is far better off in the hands of these young 'uns.
Old January 22 2014, 11:14 AM   #35
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

The notion that fate/destiny happens for a reason is a religious notion, and it's not surprising that individuals who value science would reject it, in favor of a notion such as that fate/destiny is what you make of it.
Old January 22 2014, 11:27 PM   #36
drt
Lieutenant Commander

Add to that the need for a starship to be underwater, even though every other cultural study undertaken by a Trek crew has been done safely from orbit.
To keep their activities from Starfleet's long-range sensor arrays?
There was some mumbo-jumbo referring to "magnetic fields" which lead me to believe they couldn't use transporters except at very short range. Instead of conducting the mission entirely by shuttle and leaving Enterprise in orbit, my assumption was that Kirk wanted Enterprise close by as a contingency if there was a shuttle failure of some kind.
drt is offline   Reply With Quote