Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 22 2014, 10:55 PM   #136
teacock
Fleet Admiral

Re: Question to those most disappointed with the SW prequels

It's a tad wonky unless you think she has a a psychic bond and brainwashing and Force reconstruction of her neural pathways over time all of which are shattered by the builder of these things trying to kill her. Killing the very structures of "love" he has built.

As to how it worked on the screen without all these interpretations, it didn't IMO. I think the birth scene is terrible, embarrassingly bad. It looks like some clunky 70's sci fi, awkward and disconnected from real people. I went from adoring Padme in TPM to hardly being able to watch her death because it was so cheesy. Even the camera angles are weirdly amateur looking, like a bunch of school kids who had no understanding of birth and death were doing the "okay, and now she dies and ROBOTS!" scene. I remember thinking, I should be crying now but this is fucking awful.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 11:12 PM   #137
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The Halloween System in the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View Ghouleddie74's Twitter Profile

And, of course, the birth of Luke and Leia is not only a clunky scene in and of itself, but it's overshadowed by the construction and birth of Darth Vader in the black armor - the moment that fans had waited through three films to witness after another wait of almost twenty years. When you juxtapose the two "birth" scenes it's clear which one had the stronger dramatic pull and weight and the one that is more fondly remembered.
Old January 22 2014, 11:23 PM   #138
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

I didn't care much for Padmé's death either. I can understand that her heart was too broken to live on but why did she not want to live for her kids? The funeral scene made my heart sink when they closed in on that charm he gave her.

....Ramble on!!
Lindemann's Catch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 11:30 PM   #139
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

The Naboo state funeral was so much more effective and emotional than her passing on the delivery table. And I did really like the little, subtle touch of having a fake pregnancy "bump" on her body so that her family and others believed she died before giving birth, helping cover up the existence of the twins.
Old January 22 2014, 11:31 PM   #140
teacock
Fleet Admiral

It makes no sense that this woman who had devoted her short life to civic duty, her people, the good of the republic would just up and die from a broken heart when she had babies to care for. You have to make it make sense, but really these explanations we've been discussing could have been included in the film with one line about her psychic connection to Anakin. Broken heart, pfft.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 22 2014, 11:35 PM   #141
teacock
Fleet Admiral

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
The Naboo state funeral was so much more effective and emotional than her passing on the delivery table. And I did really like the little, subtle touch of having a fake pregnancy "bump" on her body so that her family and others believed she died before giving birth, helping cover up the existence of the twins.
Lucas does death better than birth. Yes that was a good scene in itself.

I guess really a lot falls on the character of Anakin being so uncharismatic and the romance dialog being so atrocious. It's not that I can't see Padme with a bad boy, it's just this bad boy is lacking any appeal at all to the viewer. So even setting aside that it is totally out of character for a woman of Padme's strength and life of selfless devotion to duty to die of a broken heart it is just plain hard to choke down that it was for Anakin in the first place!

Just imagine she was in love with Obi Wan and Obi Wan died.. she would be all "Obi Wan would want me to raise our children and I will honor his memory and raise them to know how wonderful and strong their father was.." You can't even imagine her giving up if the father was Obi Wan and he was dead.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 22 2014, 11:40 PM   #142
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Whatever we might think of Hayden's Anakin, it's pretty clear where Leia got her smartass temper. To me, Luke seems more like his mother and Leia comes off in the OT as being more like Anakin in terms of how she snaps at people, her headstrong stubbornness and general "will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way" attitude about things going on around her.
Old January 22 2014, 11:45 PM   #143
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

cooleddie74 wrote: View Post
Whatever we might think of Hayden's Anakin, it's pretty clear where Leia got her smartass temper. To me, Luke seems more like his mother and Leia comes off in the OT as being more like Anakin in terms of how she snaps at people, her headstrong stubbornness and general "will somebody get this big walking carpet out of my way"attitude about things going on around her.
I love that line.

However, I never thought of it that way, the twins personalities...like each of their parents.

....Ramble on!!
Old January 22 2014, 11:46 PM   #144
teacock
Fleet Admiral

From a looks perspective it was good casting, both Anakin and Padme are very easily seen as Luke and Leia's parents. Luke in ESB and ROTJ particularly looks like Anakin.

I've been fantasizing about a SW reboot someday, with Anakin rewritten to be more like Spike from Buffy or something.. SOMETHING.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 22 2014, 11:49 PM   #145
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Although we don't have to ask from which parent Luke got his whiny side, do we?
Old January 22 2014, 11:52 PM   #146
teacock
Fleet Admiral

Noooo... we don't. Sigh.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 22 2014, 11:53 PM   #147
Lindemann's Catch
Commodore

and impatience, inability to let go .....

....Ramble on!!
Old January 22 2014, 11:55 PM   #148
Ancient Mariner
Rear Admiral

View Ancient Mariner's Twitter Profile

teacake wrote: View Post
It makes no sense that this woman who had devoted her short life to civic duty, her people, the good of the republic would just up and die from a broken heart when she had babies to care for. You have to make it make sense, but really these explanations we've been discussing could have been included in the film with one line about her psychic connection to Anakin. Broken heart, pfft.
This was the reason why I had trouble reconciling that scene. There isn't quite enough in the film to justify the "force-connection" theory - but now that I've thought about it, the line, "For reasons we can't explain, we are losing her," certainly points to an irrational, super-natural reason. The fact that Padme hangs on long enough to actually name her children and tell Obi-Wan that there is still good left in Anakin, indicates that, despite the medical droids saying, "she has lost the will to live," she is, in fact, fighting - and that it's something else that is causing her unexplained death. The force-connection idea certainly makes the best sense (dramatically speaking).

Problem is, as has been stated, it's just a bit too convoluted to really work without any further "evidence" in the film.
Old January 22 2014, 11:57 PM   #149
Ghouleddie74
Fleet Admiral

Does anybody remember what the official film novelization of ROTS had to say on the matter of Padmé's death? I sure don't and I haven't touched a copy of the Episode III novelization in years.
Old January 23 2014, 12:03 AM   #150
teacock
Fleet Admiral

I think the only one I read was TPM, but good question.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne