Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 21 2014, 02:34 PM   #46
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Tablet games that aren't awful?

Unfortunately, it is unlikely to ever be available for Android. There's an iOS version because the game runs on the Unreal engine, which has an iOS (but no Android) port.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 03:51 PM   #47
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Unfortunately, it is unlikely to ever be available for Android. There's an iOS version because the game runs on the Unreal engine, which has an iOS (but no Android) port.
That's a shame. I played the crap out of XCOM on my iPad for a solid month.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 07:23 AM   #48
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Watched a video of Kingdom Rush. Looks fun, but for some unknown reason it tells me its not compatible with my device. The hell? All I can figure is that my tablets 1.2 ghz dual core cpu isn't powerful enough to run it.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 03:52 AM   #49
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

I'm kind of addicted to Game Dev Story right now. For tower defense myself and the kids tend to play Bloons Tower Defense 5, they've actually added more (free!) content.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2014, 04:39 AM   #50
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'm really digging Radiant Defense right now. It's a fun little tower defense with a nice simple story and attractive artwork. Challenging and addictive like a good game should be.

The basic game is free, but offers several add on weapon packs, for a grand total of $4. I had no problem buying them to support the devs.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hexage.defense
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old February 4 2014, 02:48 PM   #51
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

I'm surprised nobody mentioned it yet (I might have just missed it mind you), but The Room is a brilliant puzzle game that takes great advantage of touch-based controls.

One of the very few tablet experiences I would actually describe as worthy of one's gaming time.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tudios.TheRoom

Other great suggestions I'd like to echo are XCOM (turn-based strategy being suited perfectly for tablets) and The Walking Dead S1. Also, Infinity Blade is quite entertaining.

Too bad some if not most of the great tablet games (the few of them that exist) are iOS exclusives.
Old February 7 2014, 01:14 AM   #52
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the "Exclusive on iOS" bugs the hell out of me. Screw Apple and the devs who do this.

I'd also like to take this opportunity to invite EA to once again go fuck themselves for screwing up yet another beloved IP.

http://tabtimes.com/review/ipad-game...aid-iosandroid

Last edited by Cutter John; February 7 2014 at 02:41 AM.
Old February 7 2014, 01:29 AM   #53
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

XCOM only being on iOS is due to the Unreal Engine not having an Android port. That's Epic's fault, not Apple's.

The Dungeon Keeper thing is a disgrace, though. I almost downloaded it until I saw the reviews complaining about the microtransaction model. No thank you.
My blog
Old February 7 2014, 03:23 AM   #54
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, EA seems to really like microtransactions and go overboard with them as a result. It's like they take the concept of mobile games and microtransactions and overplay it to the extreme. And then they wonder why people hate them. Better to develop a game first and worry about microtransactions later, otherwise you probably end up with your game being built around microtransactions and only feeling like it exists because of it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 04:02 AM   #55
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I'd rather just pay for the damn game up front than be slowly bled by a stupid microtransaction system. I just won't play a game that works that way, period.
My blog
Old February 7 2014, 06:25 AM   #56
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

That'll be the way to move forward with MTs - offering a pay-upfront as well as a free-to-pay (haha) option.

Even if the paywall is designed very well - and there have been quite a few games that got it pretty right already - I'll still always prefer to pay a premium upfront for a game I know I'm going to like.
Old February 7 2014, 09:29 AM   #57
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I miss the old concept of Demos. Download the first fifteen minutes or so for free, then pay to unlock the rest of the game.
Old February 7 2014, 08:38 PM   #58
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

With the way things are moving forward, I wouldn't be surprised to see something like needing to pay for skills in a mobile RPG. "Oh, what's that? You want this skill? Hand over the cash, buddy! Yes, we know.... even if the skill is a basic skill needed to proceed." Knowing EA, they'd probably make talking to NPCs a skill that is needed to be bought.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote