Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 13 2014, 04:28 PM   #1
Lucky
Commander

Bitten - Season One Discussion (spoilers)

Bitten, the new werewolf drama starring Laura Vandervoort, premiered Saturday in Canada on Space. It premieres tonight (January 13) on SyFy at 10/9c.

Vandervoort plays Elena Michaels, the world's only female werewolf. The series is based on the novel "Bitten" by Kelley Armstrong.
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:18 PM   #2
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Bitten - Season One Discussion (spoilers)

The books are awesome and I love laura vandervroot she was awesome on smallville and v

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:59 AM   #3
JD
Admiral

Looking forward to it. Although I'm kicking myself for not getting a chance to read the books before it started.
Old January 14 2014, 05:10 AM   #4
Christopher
Writer

I found it entirely meh, aside from the naked bits. They did show a surprising amount of skin; even Lost Girl rarely shows that much anymore, if it ever did. And the transformation/wolf effects were pretty good. Otherwise, though, it totally failed to engage me. I've always found Laura Vandervoort bland, and listening to her one-note delivery was getting grating toward the end. Nobody else appealed to me much either, except maybe the boyfriend's sister, who was kind of fun. I like Genelle Williams, but she was hardly in it.

What is it with modern werewolves, though? It used to be, even as recently as Buffy, that they only changed during a full moon. But these days they're usually portrayed as being able to change at will, or sometimes when they get angry a la the Hulk. Is that just a symptom of our instant-gratification culture?

Although, wait a minute, I think Being Human still obeys the full-moon rule. At least the UK version did, with George only changing once every few episodes, so it was a big deal when it did happen.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 05:29 AM   #5
JD
Admiral

I'm not sure where the change came from, but it's been the case for a while. I'm not sure how long ago it started, but it was the case in the early Dresden Files and Sookie Stackhouse novels back in the early '00s.
Old January 14 2014, 06:01 AM   #6
Christopher
Writer

One moment where the show would've lost me if it had ever had me at all: The scene with the college discussion about Jung's anima and animus. First, the wolf/professor said animus was male and anima was female; actually, Jung said anima is the feminine side within the male unconscious and animus is the masculine side within the female unconscious. But the really stupid bit was when the student asked if it meant we had creatures inside us and the professor replied "We're all animals." Research your Latin, you lazy writers! Animus/a is the Latin word for breath, spirit, or life force. It's the same root that "animal" is derived from (i.e. something with breath/life), but it doesn't mean our animal side. Really sloppy work there.

Old January 14 2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I found it entirely meh, aside from the naked bits. They did show a surprising amount of skin; even Lost Girl rarely shows that much anymore, if it ever did.
hmmm, let me guess, Canadian production? It seems to have the whiff of that from the first minutes at least. (EDIT:nvm, says so in the original post...)

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; January 14 2014 at 08:41 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 08:28 AM   #8
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

That was dull.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:15 PM   #9
Admiral2
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I found it entirely meh, aside from the naked bits.
On this, we are in total agreement.

-Tom Clancy
Admiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 03:40 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
hmmm, let me guess, Canadian production?
Yep, and it even blatantly acknowledges that it's set in Toronto, with the city mentioned by name and the skyline clearly shown and everything. Although then the action moved to a small town in upstate New York, and I'm not sure whether the bulk of the series will be set there or in Toronto.

Old January 14 2014, 05:52 PM   #11
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Kind of a slow opening, I agree. They spent a lot of time introducing a small army of supporting characters, which may be exciting to fans of the books ("ooh, it's so-and-so!") but fell flat if you weren't already invested in the characters. And the episode ended just as the plot seemed to be finally kicking into gear. (Maybe they should've considered a two-hour premiere or, better yet, edited the first two eps into one tighter episode?)

Still, I'm a sucker for werewolves so I'll check it out again next week.
Old January 15 2014, 03:52 AM   #12
JD
Admiral

It was OK, mostly. It definitely wasn't anywhere near as good as The Originals, Sleepy Hollow, or Dracula but it interested me enough that I'm going to stick with it for now.
Old January 22 2014, 06:38 AM   #13
JD
Admiral

Episode 2 still wasn't great, but I thought it was at least an improvement over the first one.
Old February 17 2014, 07:17 AM   #14
Aragorn
Admiral

Anyone still watching this? I found the pilot underwhelming and let a few episodes back up on the DVR, but after seeing the second episode, I deleted the rest of them. So boring. And the random voiceover exposition in the second episode made me laugh.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2014, 01:28 AM   #15
JD
Admiral

I've stuck with it. IMO it's actually gotten better as it's gone on. It's still not up to Being Human, Lost Girl, or Teen Wolf's level, but I've been enjoying it.