Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Closed Thread

Old January 21 2014, 03:52 PM   #751
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: NFL Discussion - 2013 Season

At this stage, I'm not sure I'm going to buy any of the stories until something comes directly from Sherman... that's the third different (and most extreme) version of the charity event incident I've read the last few days. I've also heard that he just said "something" to Sherman and that the issue was that he kept saying how he would beat Sherman on the field and he wouldn't let it drop.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 21 2014, 05:32 PM   #752
Neroon
Mod of balance

Anybody have any comments on what Goddell said about eliminating PATs?
- Proverbs 12:20
Old January 21 2014, 05:43 PM   #753
tighr
Commodore

Neroon wrote: View Post
Just that it's a change from all other levels of the sport. The basic "gameplay" of football is the same from high school to the pros; eliminating PATs changes it. An alternative that keeps the gameplay the same could be moving the try further back if you want to increase the difficulty of scoring on a kick.

But for competition purposes, I think the idea has merit. It will be met with resistance, but it would make the game more exciting.
Old January 21 2014, 06:54 PM   #754
Use of Time
Commodore

tighr wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
Just that it's a change from all other levels of the sport. The basic "gameplay" of football is the same from high school to the pros; eliminating PATs changes it. An alternative that keeps the gameplay the same could be moving the try further back if you want to increase the difficulty of scoring on a kick.

But for competition purposes, I think the idea has merit. It will be met with resistance, but it would make the game more exciting.
I wish they would just chill out for a little while and fix the obvious shit that needs fixing. Focus on the challenge system along with replay and once that gets ironed out then we can look at other things. At this point it feels like they are tinkering just for the sake of tinkering. The PAT is stupid but the proposed changes are huge and change the entire dynamic of the game, especially from the coaching perspective. So far I'm in favor of maybe spotting the ball on the 30 yard line for the extra point so the kicker doesn't have an absolute gimme. I'm not sure about the "two point conversion" method on every TD.
Old January 21 2014, 07:50 PM   #755
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Goal line stands are always exciting too, so it would definitely be a plus as far as entertainment value goes.

I'm not really comfortable with marginalising special teams and kickers specifically even further though, so the opposite idea of moving the extra point back a bit is more appealing to me.
Old January 21 2014, 09:34 PM   #756
tighr
Commodore

Wait, I heard somewhere that the idea was to go ahead and just award 7 for the TD, and if you want to go for two, you have to gamble a point? (i.e., if you miss the try, you get 6, if you make it you get 8, otherwise you get 7).

That sounds even dumber. No one would ever risk going for two in that scenario unless they absolutely needed the point at the end of the game. Make it 6 for the TD and 2 more for the try, eliminate the ability to get 7 or move the kick further back.

Would certainly mess up the scenario books, since you'd never see games in multiples of 7/14/21/28 etc anymore.
Old January 21 2014, 09:40 PM   #757
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Belichick is trying to rival the Sherman/Crabtree feud with his own swipes at Welker for that pick play. That same pick play that they run in NE without apology. Hell they ran it themselves yesterday for that matter. Mike Pereira said the no call was correct but the league is probably going to have to take a closer look at how they deal with these in the future. I think they are somewhat dangerous but I don't think Welker was playing the role of an assassin yesterday.

http://deadspin.com/bill-belichick-w...qib-1504982800
He's a poor sport and a crybaby.
Old January 21 2014, 09:53 PM   #758
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

To the points thing... I say leave it alone.
Old January 21 2014, 11:18 PM   #759
Scout101
Admiral

Wait, I heard somewhere that the idea was to go ahead and just award 7 for the TD, and if you want to go for two, you have to gamble a point? (i.e., if you miss the try, you get 6, if you make it you get 8, otherwise you get 7).

That sounds even dumber. No one would ever risk going for two in that scenario unless they absolutely needed the point at the end of the game. Make it 6 for the TD and 2 more for the try, eliminate the ability to get 7 or move the kick further back.

Would certainly mess up the scenario books, since you'd never see games in multiples of 7/14/21/28 etc anymore.
Why? That's exactly how it works NOW. Only difference is that they waste everyone's time with a 20 yard FG "try" first before awarding the 7th point. You get 6 automatically, and then can take the gimme point, or gamble the automatic one by trying for 2 instead. This proposal just saves everyone the effort on the kick, as the success rate is over 99%.

Wouldn't change anything for scoring, or scenario books, or anything, as it's exactly the way it is now. Just saves time by not forcing the automatic kick first. Your decision to go for 2 or not would be exactly the same, and for the same reasons.

Only thing that could possibly change is scenarios where your kicker or holder just got hurt, and you don't think it's automatic. Even then, though, usually someone that trains as the backup and could still get the gimme kick through.

It would be a few minutes faster this way, and you also avoid the occasional injury on these nonsense extra points. Gronkowski's broken arm (forget if it was the first one or the re-break) came on blocking for an extra point in a meaningless blowout game. Freak injury, sure, but you DO have starters playing in the extra point try on both sides of the ball, and losing a marquee player on that nonsense is just silly.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old January 22 2014, 01:21 AM   #760
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Scout101 wrote: View Post

Why? That's exactly how it works NOW. Only difference is that they waste everyone's time with a 20 yard FG "try" first before awarding the 7th point. You get 6 automatically, and then can take the gimme point, or gamble the automatic one by trying for 2 instead. This proposal just saves everyone the effort on the kick, as the success rate is over 99%.
Except in the Snow Bowl, where that is decidedly not how it worked. Only one PAT was attempted and it missed. I could see trying to mirror that fun by forcing them to move back significantly, but I can't see fundamentally altering how scoring works in football just because players are very good at it right now.
Old January 22 2014, 02:46 AM   #761
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

I'm kind of indifferent to the idea of killing the PAT, but the proposed idea just seems like it's over-complicating the issue.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Old January 22 2014, 03:25 AM   #762
Davros
Fleet Admiral

the PAT is fine as it is. The change suggested is stupid in my opinion.
Old January 22 2014, 06:03 AM   #763
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Right. Like the NFL is going to eliminate the PAT and the opportunity to sandwich it in between two sets of ads. Also, the idea where the 7 pt touchdown goes away entirely and you'd have to go for two every time is terrible.
Old January 22 2014, 03:25 PM   #764
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

How about this: Make the scoring player attempt the PAT. I want to see some totally gassed nose tackle try to kick it in after running a fumble back 50 yards.
Old January 22 2014, 03:49 PM   #765
Green Shirt
Commodore

I can see him swinging his 100 pound leg, missing badly and passing out while slamming onto the ground like the huge pig in the "Dawn of Man" sequence in 2001. Another injury timeout which the league and its advertisers love.