RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,182
Posts: 5,435,761
Members: 24,947
Currently online: 603
Newest member: CaptainJaymez

TrekToday headlines

Trek Screenwriter Washington D.C. Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Oct 23

Two Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Oct 22

Pine In New Skit
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

Stewart In Holiday Film
By: T'Bonz on Oct 21

The Red Shirt Diaries #8
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 12 2014, 03:07 PM   #16
USS Intrepid
Commodore
 
USS Intrepid's Avatar
 
Location: Dundee, Scotland, UK
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

Recutting someone else's work against their wishes is just rude. It's simply a matter of common courtesy. If they don't care, or if they give permission, then fine. But if someone asks you not to, then it's just plain obnoxious.
__________________
Star Trek: Intrepid
USS Intrepid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 06:45 PM   #17
Maestro
Vice Admiral
 
Maestro's Avatar
 
Location: Maestro
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

There's a big difference between doing a fan edit of corporate produced work (Star Trek) and a fan produced work (Phase II). One is a labour of love, the other a labour of money. Feel free to edit either, but the labour of love? Don't talk about it, don't share it. It's just... rude... and almost mean.

And yeah, I didn't engage in parallel structure for a reason.
__________________
"When Christians use Jesus for hate-mongering, they ruin Jesus for the rest of us." -Me.
Maestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 06:11 PM   #18
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

As a burgeoning editor, I've taken one or two professional productions - Star Trek Insurrection, for one - and recut it as an exercise for myself. But I've never shared that work nor do I intend to.

Recutting fan films is a whole other ball of wax. These productions are done in the spirit of fun and for the people making them to learn and enjoy the craft. Recutting their efforts for your own purposes strikes me as needlessly selfish and skates into douchebag territory, and is a slap to the face of the hardworking fans who produce this material for us.

So, in other words, don't do it.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 07:36 PM   #19
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

The Search for Spock would need a slight re-edit.

At first, Kirk only wants to get McCoy to Vulcan to save his mind. But then the Grissom reports Spock's torpedo tube being found. So he decides he wants to get Spock's body for a proper Vulcan funeral as well.

But then they find Spock alive and well on Genesis, and then Sarek comes up with the idea that perhaps they could re-integrate his katra in the body.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 08:09 PM   #20
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral
 
Location: Hollywood, CA
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

Part of that is because Star Trek III was heavily edited after it's first cut. The film was supposed to open with the first scenes on Grissom -- this is why we have a big fanfare there and the chyron telling us where they are, even though Kirk mentions it in his first scene at the beginning of the film.

I do agree, it would be interesting to re-cut III though, to see what it would look like as originally done.
__________________
"You are the product. You feeling something. That's what sells. Not them. Not sex. They can't do what we do and they hate us for it."
--Don Draper
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 07:16 AM   #21
dcsmokey
Commander
 
dcsmokey's Avatar
 
Location: Burbank, CA
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

Re-Edits of the official films are fun and a good exercise for the burgeoning editor.

I don't appreciate re-editing of fan films as those are the unique vision of the creators, good or bad, and deserve to stand as they are - with the exception of Directors cuts, which I've done of my early episodes. The difference here is that in one case, I tightened up an edit and in another, edited it to my original vision of the piece in question.

I did this as an example of how far you could take a re-edit about, oh, 12 years ago? Been editing my own stuff ever since. But this was a fantastic way of learning how it all worked.

https://vimeo.com/26000983
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 08:34 PM   #22
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

dcsmokey wrote: View Post
Re-Edits of the official films are fun and a good exercise for the burgeoning editor.

I don't appreciate re-editing of fan films as those are the unique vision of the creators, good or bad, and deserve to stand as they are - with the exception of Directors cuts, which I've done of my early episodes. The difference here is that in one case, I tightened up an edit and in another, edited it to my original vision of the piece in question.

I did this as an example of how far you could take a re-edit about, oh, 12 years ago? Been editing my own stuff ever since. But this was a fantastic way of learning how it all worked.

https://vimeo.com/26000983
Why the difference between "official" films and "fan" films?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 09:27 PM   #23
dcsmokey
Commander
 
dcsmokey's Avatar
 
Location: Burbank, CA
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
dcsmokey wrote: View Post
Re-Edits of the official films are fun and a good exercise for the burgeoning editor.

I don't appreciate re-editing of fan films as those are the unique vision of the creators, good or bad, and deserve to stand as they are - with the exception of Directors cuts, which I've done of my early episodes. The difference here is that in one case, I tightened up an edit and in another, edited it to my original vision of the piece in question.

I did this as an example of how far you could take a re-edit about, oh, 12 years ago? Been editing my own stuff ever since. But this was a fantastic way of learning how it all worked.

https://vimeo.com/26000983
Why the difference between "official" films and "fan" films?
The official films, made by Paramount, usually have tons of things fans can't get past and are often frustrated by. Take for example the 70+ deck turbolift in Star Trek V. Things like that are just slaps in the face to fans. Other examples include the death of Data, Kirk, Spock's half brother, Valaris instead of Saavik (that one really chaps my ass). And don't get me started on the JJ bastardizations. In the end, these films are not made as "gifts" to the fans. They're made to make money.

A fan film is created with love and a personal understanding of Star Trek, which is frankly different for everyone. Fan films are the personal vision of the group involved and whether you like them or not, and since they are provided to you free to watch, I feel re-editing a fan film is off the table. I can't bash or critique any fan film. I can only applaud the fact that someone got off their ass and made their own version of Star Trek. I respect that. I don't respect the studio system.
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 09:31 PM   #24
dcsmokey
Commander
 
dcsmokey's Avatar
 
Location: Burbank, CA
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The Search for Spock would need a slight re-edit.

At first, Kirk only wants to get McCoy to Vulcan to save his mind. But then the Grissom reports Spock's torpedo tube being found. So he decides he wants to get Spock's body for a proper Vulcan funeral as well.

But then they find Spock alive and well on Genesis, and then Sarek comes up with the idea that perhaps they could re-integrate his katra in the body.
I couldn't agree with this more. Star Trek 3 could use a proper chronological cut. The Grissom appearance was supposed to the a "Teaser" of sorts to the film, followed by the threat of Klingon intervention, then beginning with Act 1, the rescue of McCoy and the retrieval of Spock.

Maybe someday I'll do this when I don't have 3 fan films waiting on my computer to get edited
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 01:45 AM   #25
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

I've always loved your In Thy Image Jack, it really feels like a new classic episode - literally as if NBC commissioned a new pilot. It really gives viewers a fresh view of the story

A friend of mine, and I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this if so I apologize, was planning to re-edit the Trek movie franchise, inspired by you Jack, into a TV series called Star Trek: Phase II. I think this was when the Cawley show was still called New Voyages.

Roughly speaking, he would have used TMP as a 'pilot', then movies 2-6 which would have been divided into 7 episodes, with an 8th using the 'Starfleet/Klingon Academy' games plus 9th Generations Prologue; 10th Of Gods and Men (yes a fan film but the stars are Koenig and Nichols); and at least 2 more showing Spock, McCoy and Scotty in the TNG era (I don't think we got into the details - the post-Generations stuff was pretty much my idea; but I have an idea for Trek09/Unification as an episode, basically Trek09 from Spock Prime's point of view with Unification as flashbacks; NO IDEA if it would work!)

The great thing about the TOS movie series is that there are kind of character arcs running right through from the 2nd movie onwards that thread it together as a series - that would format quite well as a TV Series.

Another fan editor has taken a similar approach editing the six Trek films into a series of Telemovies, they are the six films but reformatted if you like with TVesque title sequences and commercial breaks.

Yes we do have TWO fanfilm series now giving Trek a 4th and 5th season, but this would be Season 6, the ongoing journey of Kirk and crew. The guy is now working on other projects, so I'm not sure if he's planning to revisit the idea but I guess there's an OCD inside me wanting to see the whole adventures of Kirk and crew in a series of TV boxsets!
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 04:51 AM   #26
dcsmokey
Commander
 
dcsmokey's Avatar
 
Location: Burbank, CA
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

I have to say that idea intrigues me. Also, I'd like to cut the TNG episode that frames the ENT finale into one piece and the TOS tribbles episode and DS9 episode into a whole piece.

There's many cool things one can do with the franchise.

But don't recut fan films - which was the point of this thread

But first on the list, if I ever get the time is to do an HD version of my Trek V re-edit. When I originally did it 12+ years ago, DVD was the miracle format
dcsmokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 02:20 PM   #27
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

dcsmokey wrote: View Post
I have to say that idea intrigues me. Also, I'd like to cut the TNG episode that frames the ENT finale into one piece and the TOS tribbles episode and DS9 episode into a whole piece.

There's many cool things one can do with the franchise.

But don't recut fan films - which was the point of this thread

But first on the list, if I ever get the time is to do an HD version of my Trek V re-edit. When I originally did it 12+ years ago, DVD was the miracle format
I've seen them both done quite well on fanedit[dot]org and YouTube.

I also had a go at cutting Emissary together with Relics (after the Enterprise leaves - it was the only one I could think of that fitted!) to basically create a full-blown TNG/DS9 crossover film, inspired by the Malibu comic. I knew Picard was in Emissary but when I watched it I was surprised how much. It basically showed the Enterprise doing something else while the DS9 crew were dealing with orbs etc. I guess it should have been a more Cardassian/Bajoran based story? Relics was chosen mainly because of timing, it was a relatively straight-forward 'life in a day' episode.

At the end, we see Picard, Geordi, Worf etc on DS9 from Birthright I, the Bashir/Data thing is also there, Worf refuses to go hunt his father then we cut to Emissary with the office scene with Picard & Sisko.

It is a bit rough around the edges but kind of works - my main quibble (tribble!) is Worf goes from shoulder-length to ponytail hair!

I did make this - based on other YT stuff - what was the TNG crew up to during the Dominion War? https://vimeo.com/82462590

Last edited by Danlav05; January 22 2014 at 02:39 PM.
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 01:53 AM   #28
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

dcsmokey wrote: View Post
I have to say that idea intrigues me. Also, I'd like to cut the TNG episode that frames the ENT finale into one piece and the TOS tribbles episode and DS9 episode into a whole piece.

There's many cool things one can do with the franchise.

But don't recut fan films - which was the point of this thread

But first on the list, if I ever get the time is to do an HD version of my Trek V re-edit. When I originally did it 12+ years ago, DVD was the miracle format
This clearly falls under the rubric of my self-appointed job as file-clerk-in-chief for fan films.

On the subject of intercutting the original Tribbles episode with the DS9 episode, Star Trek: Tribulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekS6OpFDig (1:12:38) has attempted just this.

Although very different than you vision, this is a recut of only the Ent part of the Enterprise final episode. It also eliminates Tripp's death, if I recall correctly (it's been many years since I viewed it)

A remix of Enterprise shots and sound to make a different ending for the series.

Editor: Surak75's Channel

Star Trek: Alliance Born (part one)(9:13)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part two)(9:33)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part three)(9:49)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part four)(8:53)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part five)(9:35)
Star trek: Alliance Born (part six)(8:56)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part seven)(9:55)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part eight)(9:46) NOT WORKING AT TIME OF NOTATION. The creator has not signed into his account since 2006, so it seems likely he will not fix this.
Star Trek Alliance (part nine)(9:54)
Star Trek: Alliance Born (part ten)(9:53)

These are taken directly from Star Trek Review's Fan Recuts and Mash-ups page, vis http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/214.html .
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 02:54 AM   #29
Danlav05
Commander
 
Danlav05's Avatar
 
Location: Rutland UK
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

The Pegasus/'These Are The Voyages' thing has been done, but I think it was deleted. I may check out 'Alliance Born.'

For more of this sort of thing:

http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/jr...ise/star-trek/

http://digital-fanedits.com/database/70-star-trek

Bionicbob's The Khitomer Conspiracy is particularly fun as he adds bits of continuity from DS9 (Auberjonois' character is a changeling!), Voyager (Omega Particles) and Enterprise (Future Guy talks with Chang) to add depth to the story, like a novelist adds scenes into a book of a film
Danlav05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 06:44 PM   #30
Barbreader
Fleet Captain
 
Location: New York, New York
View Barbreader's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

Danlav05 wrote: View Post
The Pegasus/'These Are The Voyages' thing has been done, but I think it was deleted. I may check out 'Alliance Born.'

For more of this sort of thing:

http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/jr...ise/star-trek/

http://digital-fanedits.com/database/70-star-trek

Bionicbob's The Khitomer Conspiracy is particularly fun as he adds bits of continuity from DS9 (Auberjonois' character is a changeling!), Voyager (Omega Particles) and Enterprise (Future Guy talks with Chang) to add depth to the story, like a novelist adds scenes into a book of a film
Wow, Dan, great finds! I added those links to my Recuts and Mashups page!!

I'll probably add them to some other page, too... haven't decided which yet...

GREAT FIND!!!
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.