To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 22 2014, 04:46 AM   #1
CTGuyton
Lieutenant Commander

I've picked the guy I'd like to see bring Trek back to TV

Aaron Sorkin.

I was a huge fan of West Wing. I've actually watched it on netflix and the DVDs from start to finish probably 6 or 7 times. American President, Social Network were huge successes.

He's got a great ability at character building, and I think would be able to bring a new crew to life. Sorkin has his own following that would help bring viewers to Trek. He's got a very unique style, and we'll see a lot more of the ship with his walk and talk scenes!

I don't know how big of a Trek fan he is, I know he mentioned Trek once in a WW episode, but I don't think it's a negative. He can hire a writer or two who know the Cannon to keep him straight if he strays too far, but with the JJ-verse basically hitting the reset button for all potential story lines, it gives him a lot of freedom to be creative and original.

I'd like to hear what you guys think, or maybe other ideas. Not so much what we want to see out of a new TV show or a Prime/JJVerse flame war, but who we think would be best to bring Trek new life on the small screen.
CTGuyton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 12:27 PM   #2
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: I've picked the guy I'd like to see bring Trek back to TV

CTGuyton wrote: View Post
Aaron Sorkin.
I could see that being good.

My choice would be David E. Kelley. He showed me with Boston Legal and Harry's Law that he can tackle serious issues, throw in the ludicrous, and still make you care about the characters.
Old January 22 2014, 12:52 PM   #3
2takesfrakes
Commodore

Let's take a chance on The Bieb as the new Captain! He's got the look and the appeal to get the ratings and put STAR TREK's return to television into interstellar orbit! Gomez can be his estranged lover, from some Planet Erotica, or another and recently assigned to ENTERPRISE. Their renewed love affair ignites the small screen as they kick ass and take names in a pulse-pounding, adrenalin-pumping, high-octane series like STAR TREK has never seen before!
Old January 22 2014, 08:15 PM   #4
CTGuyton
Lieutenant Commander

David E Kelly would be good also. I've only watched Boston Public/Legal and his new one The Crazy Ones but he's got a long list of hit shows he would bring a lot of credibility and creativity to the table.

I'd like to see Trek in today's television market. I'm watching TNG on netflix now, already watched DS9, TOS, Ent, i'll do Voy next. These shows wouldn't cut it on today's television. Probably part of the reason Ent never connected. JJ made Trek relevant again, and I'd like to see someone bring it back to the small screen with the same results.

I'm not saying Trek has to be fundamentally changed or anything like that. I just think the previous shows were very cheesy and campy. I'd like to see what Sorkin would be able to do with it. Very character driven. We'd see main or at least recurring characters leave the show by being killed off or Riker finally taking a promotion. Stuff like that. West Wing never had to go to battle but still went 7 seasons with adversaries and continuing story arcs and such.

It won't ever happen. TV Execs and myself never seem to agree. But it's fun to imagine.
Old January 22 2014, 08:51 PM   #5
Wereghost
Commodore

Aaron Sorkin.

I was a huge fan of West Wing.
In my opinion, The West Wing kind of was Aaron Sorkin's take on Trek, but one whose unique selling point was that it could tackle social issues with directness rather than obliquely through allegory. Though it might be nice to see him bring a West Wing sensibility to the show proper; it would be a show about ethical and extremely competent people working towards the common good, perhaps just what genre TV (and drama TV in general) needs about now.
Old January 22 2014, 09:34 PM   #6
CTGuyton
Lieutenant Commander

Wereghost wrote: View Post
it would be a show about ethical and extremely competent people working towards the common good
Exactly. Personally, I'm a right wing conservative. I've been to a few Tea Party rallies, and I'm a big supporter of Ted Cruz, Mike Lee, Rand Paul, and other similar politicians. Anyone who has seen the West Wing or Newsroom knows that Aaron Sorkin and I don't agree on anything politically. But WW was bigger than that. These characters were genuinely good people fighting for the greater good. Despite my disagreeing with their politics, I feel in love with the characters and supported them.
Old January 22 2014, 09:38 PM   #7
urbandefault
Captain

Can Sorkin write action? Because Trek without action is like a day without ... action.
urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:28 AM   #8
BigJake
Rear Admiral

He collaborated on Enemy of the State. I'm not sure if that qualifies as action...

My pick: David Milch, baby. I can picture it now...

Kirk: It looks like this planet's got a working dilithium claim.
Yeoman Rand: Well, sir, is that a fact?
Kirk: A hell of a working dilithium claim, and if we knew each other better I'd throw "fucking" in there.
Rand: I can't say I'd mind if you did, sir.
Kirk: A working fucking dilithium claim, Miss Rand, and thank you for allowing me my full range of expression.

It would be glorious...
Old January 23 2014, 03:35 AM   #9
Maestro
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Let's take a chance on The Bieb as the new Captain! He's got the look and the appeal to get the ratings and put STAR TREK's return to television into interstellar orbit! Gomez can be his estranged lover, from some Planet Erotica, or another and recently assigned to ENTERPRISE. Their renewed love affair ignites the small screen as they kick ass and take names in a pulse-pounding, adrenalin-pumping, high-octane series like STAR TREK has never seen before!
It's pronounced, "The Gomez."
Old January 23 2014, 10:20 PM   #10
David.Blue
Lieutenant Commander

Aaron Sorkin is good, yeah.
Old January 23 2014, 10:41 PM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I guess this is where there is a bit of a disconnect in fandom. I want Star Trek to be big, brash science-fiction not political drama. Sorkin has no grounding in sci-fi. Why would I want him running a Star Trek series?

Probably why I'm not a huge fan of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.
Old January 23 2014, 10:48 PM   #12
Kirby
Rear Admiral

View Kirby's Twitter Profile

Aaron Sorkin.
I can't argue with that; but I'm still pissed at Sorkin for letting Sports Night die in favor of West Wing.
Old January 23 2014, 11:04 PM   #13
BigJake
Rear Admiral

Why would one have wanted Heath Ledger playing the Joker -- wasn't he known for lightweight heart-throb roles before that? Sometimes the most unexpected choices are the best ones.

(OTOH, sometimes they're not.)

Still no fellow-travellers on the David Milch train? Maybe another Deadwood-Trek mashup will change some hearts and minds:

Kirk: Now if anyone from the Enterprise comes down to the planet and turns a playing card or downs a drink or takes up with a woman, you get the trading rights and keep the f----n' dilithium.
Kang: What makes you talk to me in that tone of voice?
Kirk: I'm makin' a counter offer.
Kang: You come into this system, park in my orbit, within six hours you vaporize a guy with Cyrano Jones backin' your play. Next day I'm supposed to sit down and do business without askin' who the f--- you are or what the f--- you're doin' here?
Kirk: As far as what happened on the concourse, with Jones bein' involved, that was a turn of events.
Kang: A what?
Kirk: It was a turn. Of events.
Kang: Oh, a turn of events. Your XO calls it a coincidence. So, what with this coincidence and turn of events starin' me in the f----n' face and five other f----n' things I'm supposed to be payin' attention to, I still make you a sensible proposal and you answer by insulting me in my own ready room.
Spock: The Captain meant no insult, Commander Kang.
Kang: You stay out of this! You don't know nothin' about this! You weren't down here, so why don't you do whatever you pointy-eared c---s----ers do when you're not running your mouths off or actin' superior!
Kirk: You don't want to be talkin' that way.
Kang: Don't tell me how to talk in my own f----n' place! Now, here's my counter offer to your counter offer - go *f---* yourself!
Spock: Captain...
Kang: Get him... away from me!

Old January 24 2014, 02:51 AM   #14
Australis
Writer

Love Sorkin's work, but I think he'd be too wordy, and the 'romance' stuff in his last 2 series (Studio 60 & Newsrom) has been weak IMO.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 04:43 AM   #15
shivkala
Rear Admiral

^
Plus, are there enough corridor sets for the crew members to walk and talk through?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote