Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 21 2014, 04:16 AM   #1
desfem79
Lieutenant Commander

Actors' personalities vs. their character's personalities

Of course, it's called acting for a reason, and a character cannot be the same as an actor lol..

But then regarding Sir Patrick and Picard, well from his interviews anyhow Sir Patrick seems like an intelligent and humble fellow like Picard, and of course both have a love of Shakespeare. Though I'd imagine Sir Patrick is not as serious as Picard is lol..

It's just a weird thought I had, especially since seeing Sir Patrick interviewed on BBC Hardtalk a year ago or so.

And of course Michael Dorn is NOTHING like Worf
desfem79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:20 AM   #2
The Dead Mixer
Vice Admiral

Re: Actors' personalities vs. their character's personalities

Michael Dorn owns a Sabre jet...that's pretty badass.
Old January 21 2014, 11:04 AM   #3
F. King Daniel
Admiral

i don't think I've ever seen Patrick Stewart play a part differently. He's Picard in Star Trek, he's telepathic wheelchair Picard in X-Men, he's youthful swashbuckling Picard in Dune... he Picard's well but maybe I've just missed all his more varied roles?
Old January 21 2014, 11:35 AM   #4
2takesfrakes
Commodore

2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 11:47 AM   #5
iguana_tonante
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
i don't think I've ever seen Patrick Stewart play a part differently. He's Picard in Star Trek, he's telepathic wheelchair Picard in X-Men, he's youthful swashbuckling Picard in Dune... he Picard's well but maybe I've just missed all his more varied roles?
You'll find that his role as Sterling in Jeffrey to be definitively not-Picard (but great nonetheless).
Old January 21 2014, 11:57 AM   #6
2takesfrakes
Commodore

And Sir Patrick Stewart's contributions in LIFE FORCE were significant and memorable ...
2takesfrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 02:26 PM   #7
Mister Spock
Lieutenant

Patrick Stewart is a lot less reserved and inhibited than Jean-Luc Picard.

Just look at his Twitter profile photo.

Mister Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:57 PM   #8
BeatleJWOL
Captain

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL

Yes, Picard would have sent Riker to be in that ball pit...
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

BeatleJWOL wrote: View Post
Yes, Picard would have sent Riker to be in that ball pit...
And then Riker gets dragged into the ball pit by some invisible force. "Data something'sGOTME----!!!"
Old January 21 2014, 06:27 PM   #10
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Cue the only-slightly-dramatic musical wallpaper.
Old January 22 2014, 02:09 AM   #11
Mojochi
Commodore

It's pretty apparent that Sirtis isn't as reserved as her character either. In fact, they're all a fairly fun bunch of folks. It's no secret that they're the most amiable Trek cast & after the early warming up period, became the most fun working experience of any of the series
Mojochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 02:20 AM   #12
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

It's kinda ironic that they had fantastic on set chemistry that rarely translated to the screen.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 02:36 AM   #13
ISP Zombie
Commodore

View ISP Zombie's Twitter Profile

Have to disagree. I really liked TNG, for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was still good to watch.

One of the really different ones, Brent Spiner. Love Data. Don't really like him that well as a person. He seems rather arrogant and snobby. Saw a Star Trek documentary awhile back that really put his personality into perspective. It really made me not like him that much. Respect him on his gun views, but not on his SOPA views. Pass. The latter just went too far.

Data on the other hand, win. Love how he tried to be human through the series. Respected him for that, it's not easy.
Old January 23 2014, 03:39 AM   #14
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Maybe it's because we all compare Stewart's performance as Picard to Shatner's sometimes hammy over-the-top performances that Stewart seems subtle and refined, but the truth is Stewart can be over-the-top as all hell. Seeing Stewart and David Suchet compare their respective versions of Shylock from "The Merchant of Venice" in an old BBC series called PLAYING SHAKESPEARE was an eye-opener for me the first time I saw it about two years ago. I'm a huge Stewart fan, but I have to admit Suchet's performance is superior, far more subtle and layered than Stewart's performance, which has all the subtlety of a heart attack.

The whole thing is online and worth checkout out here.
Old January 24 2014, 04:16 AM   #15
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Random_Spock wrote: View Post
Have to disagree. I really liked TNG, for the most part. It wasn't perfect, but it was still good to watch.

One of the really different ones, Brent Spiner. Love Data. Don't really like him that well as a person. He seems rather arrogant and snobby. Saw a Star Trek documentary awhile back that really put his personality into perspective. It really made me not like him that much. Respect him on his gun views, but not on his SOPA views. Pass. The latter just went too far.

Data on the other hand, win. Love how he tried to be human through the series. Respected him for that, it's not easy.
Politics aside, I find it really hard to read Spiner based on his interviews and convention appearances. I tend to think that the "arrogance" that he portrays is kind of an act, a form of him trying to be funny.

Comments like acting beside his "favorite actor" when he was playing both Data and Lore/Soong, often come off as arrogant, but I definitely think they're meant to be comedic.

When TNG was on the air, Spiner refused to do interviews at first, while all the other actors were happy to. (I recently read this in an interview with one of the writers for a few of the sci-fi magazines at the time). I could also see this as him being arrogant or full of himself, but it could also very well be that he's simply uncomfortable around the press, as many other actors are. He's also been much more reachable for interviews and press since TNG has ended (and even after they had done a few seasons)

That said, sunglasses inside, especially during interviews or talks, always leave me with a bad taste...

Edit: This got me to searching and I found that Brent Spiner did an AMA on Reddit a while ago and think it supports the idea that he's really not arrogant, that's just his public persona/act.

Last edited by trekker670; January 24 2014 at 04:28 AM.
trekker670 is online now   Reply With Quote