Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 21 2014, 02:11 AM   #16
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

Re: What is NBC thinking????

Talosian wrote: View Post
JirinPanthosa wrote: View Post
All these years and Fallon still can't control himself from laughing at the camera.

I'll never understand his appeal, he always sounds to me like he's forcing a childlike charm.
Fallon represents the new male. He's an adult who acts like a child, an awkward adolescent in a middle aged man's body.

He doesn't seem like it, but Fallon is almost 40 years old. He's about the same age as Leno when he took over.
I am a man-child, but I'm only 28. Man child isn't my problem with him, it's the fucking laughing. I like when the people can't stay in character on SNL, when it's rare and really funny skit. He would go "How, it's Saturday!" and would start laughing. So fucking stupid.
Old January 21 2014, 06:38 AM   #17
Talosian
Lieutenant Commander

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
All these years and Fallon still can't control himself from laughing at the camera.

I'll never understand his appeal, he always sounds to me like he's forcing a childlike charm.
Fallon represents the new male. He's an adult who acts like a child, an awkward adolescent in a middle aged man's body.

He doesn't seem like it, but Fallon is almost 40 years old. He's about the same age as Leno when he took over.
I am a man-child, but I'm only 28. Man child isn't my problem with him, it's the fucking laughing. I like when the people can't stay in character on SNL, when it's rare and really funny skit. He would go "How, it's Saturday!" and would start laughing. So fucking stupid.
Yeah, it's odd.

Fallon will throw back his head, clap his hands, and laugh maniacally at almost anything.

My impression is that he's sucking up to his guests. Leno and Letterman are more reserved. When Leno doesn't care for what a guest is saying he'll remark quietly in his nasal voice "okay, okay...".

It may be that he'll grow out of this as he enters his forties.
Talosian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 11:10 AM   #18
Data Holmes
Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
bigdaddy is correct, re: the Olympics.

NBC, rightly or (in my mind) wrongly assumes that Fallon will do significantly better than Leno in "the coveted 18-49 demographic."

In addition, Fallon has (unlike Conan at the time he took over TTS) the backing of Lorne Michaels, one of the most powerful people at the network.
Conan was very much supported by Lorne Michaels during the tonight show debacle. Problem was that the core executives in charge at the time, who were very much fired when NBC got bought by a new company, we're not fans of Lorne and had the support of the parent company executives. The new parent company, after firing the executives behind that situation, basically gave Lorne total controls over NBC late night programing.
Old January 21 2014, 03:51 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

bigdaddy wrote: View Post
Hell, I'll call myself a "man-child" and I'm 35!

There's plenty of great examples in SNL where one of the performers would break character and giggle, or stumble over line or something. (See the infamous first "Motivational Speaker" skit during Farley's antics and when he falls onto the breakaway coffee table. Spade and Christina Applegate. are clearly giggling over things. But those moments were rare and in pretty extreme skits with very good, solid, performers (like Farley.)

Fallon did it ALL OF THE TIME! Every single skit he'd do no matter what the skit was about or who he was co-staring with he'd stat giggling to himself like a school girl and very often flub his lines like he hasn't been practicing this skit all week. He, for me, was part of the decline for SNL.
Old January 21 2014, 04:47 PM   #20
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

While that behavior is nauseating on a sketch comedy show, it's perfectly appropriate during a late-night talk show. Letterman, Conan, Ferguson and Kimmel all do the same thing.

Also, Fallon owns. Haters vacate.

Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 05:04 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Hell, Leno giggles at his own jokes all of the time. Which I suppose you're right it goes okay in these types of shows as opposed to skit-shows like SNL. But SNL didn't endear me much to him so, yeah, I'm not willing to give him too much respect.
Old January 21 2014, 05:49 PM   #22
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

I've always liked Fallon, but his talents are much more on display when he's doing singing impressions of Jim Morrison or Neil Young. Granted, that's a tough thing to build a whole show around.

Leno is just a stiff. I have never found him funny. I am completely at a loss as to why he appeals to people. For my money, Craig Ferguson is the one currently hitting the late-night talk show ball out of the park.
And the second penguin said "Maybe I am..."
AgentCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 06:00 PM   #23
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

AgentCoop wrote: View Post
Craig Ferguson is the one currently hitting the late-night talk show ball out of the park.
That's because he doesn't follow any lame scripts, he talks like he is friends with them because he is friends with a lot of them. Last night's show with Denis Leary was awesome.
Old January 21 2014, 06:06 PM   #24
the G-man
Commodore

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
the G-man wrote: View Post
bigdaddy is correct, re: the Olympics.

NBC, rightly or (in my mind) wrongly assumes that Fallon will do significantly better than Leno in "the coveted 18-49 demographic."

In addition, Fallon has (unlike Conan at the time he took over TTS) the backing of Lorne Michaels, one of the most powerful people at the network.
Conan was very much supported by Lorne Michaels during the tonight show debacle…..
Not the way I recall it from reading "the War for Late Night."

IIRC, Conan had the option of bringing Lorne (who produced Late Night) with him as producer of the Tonight Show but went in a different direction. As a result, when the shit hit the fan over the ratings and Leno, he didn't have Lorne backing him up.

Fallon didn't make the same mistake.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 06:33 PM   #25
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

The man you are describing is not Jimmy Fallon, it's Andy Dwyer from Parks & Recreation. It's Troy Barnes from Community. Jimmy Fallon attempts to be that, and comes off as forced, obnoxious and completely unnatural. He has this weird thing where he holds his head rigidly and then moves it spastically which he does for every character he plays while mugging awkwardly to the camera.

And did you see him on SNL? Justin Timberlake's impression of him was a better version of Fallon than Fallon, and then Fallon on the other side of the stage lost it so badly he had to duck behind the game show podium for about a ten second count.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 07:56 PM   #26
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Hell, Leno giggles at his own jokes all of the time. Which I suppose you're right it goes okay in these types of shows as opposed to skit-shows like SNL. But SNL didn't endear me much to him so, yeah, I'm not willing to give him too much respect.
I fucking hated Fallon on SNL, and his first eight months or so on Late Night were really painful, because he was clearly having a very difficult time adjusting to the format, even worse than Kimmel (who was fucking terrible for a while). But for the last 18 months or so, he has been just killing it on Late Night. His material is solid, he's comfortable with it and the gimmicks he does have been great. Having the fucking Roots as his backing band helps, of course, but the complete turnaround Fallon has had is incredible.

Give him another shot. His show is a ton of fun, and a large part of it is because he's having fun on it, instead of having to play a character.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2014, 05:53 AM   #27
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Timby wrote: View Post
While that behavior is nauseating on a sketch comedy show, it's perfectly appropriate during a late-night talk show. Letterman, Conan, Ferguson and Kimmel all do the same thing.

Also, Fallon owns. Haters vacate.

Funny, I was going to post that clip. Though it may be the only time I've laughed at Fallon's show ever. (I thought his Breaking Bad skit was a total waste of time, for example)

Anyway, I'll check out an ep or two when Fallon transitions into the Tonight Show. The sad thing is if Conan had swallowed his pride and done a 12:05 Tonight Show, he'd probably be getting his timeslot back in September.

Though who knows, maybe he'd just get screwed in favor of Fallon.
Old January 23 2014, 11:23 AM   #28
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

We talked about this at work yesterday. and It's always all about the money. NBC must think that Jimmy will bring in better money than Jay is currently doing.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2014, 12:14 PM   #29
Yoda
Rear Admiral

Well, I think the biggest factor there is Jimmy is going to be cheaper than Leno. He's not going to beat Jay's overall number, not a chance. The younger 'demo' where all the ad money is generated maybe they hope he beats Leno's numbers, maybe they don't. So I guess maybe there is potential there for him to run a more profitable show. But mostly I think they just don't see Jay as having any more mileage left to him. He's old. If Fallon really works out the problem is solved for a couple of decades potentially. Assuming network TV lasts that long.
Old January 24 2014, 01:26 AM   #30
Lance
Fleet Captain

Yeah, in the past they've been frightened of what might happen if Leno channel hopped to the opposition, but at this stage I think they just want to try and trim the fat and refresh things.

It does show how things have changed from 4 years ago though. When the idea of losing Leno was completely out-of-the-question for the NBC suits.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote