Star Trek Fan Film Re-Edits

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by KennyMadison, Jan 4, 2014.

1. dcsmokey

dcsmokey Commander Red Shirt

Re-Edits of the official films are fun and a good exercise for the burgeoning editor.

I don't appreciate re-editing of fan films as those are the unique vision of the creators, good or bad, and deserve to stand as they are - with the exception of Directors cuts, which I've done of my early episodes. The difference here is that in one case, I tightened up an edit and in another, edited it to my original vision of the piece in question.

I did this as an example of how far you could take a re-edit about, oh, 12 years ago? Been editing my own stuff ever since. But this was a fantastic way of learning how it all worked.

https://vimeo.com/26000983

2. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why the difference between "official" films and "fan" films?

3. dcsmokey

The official films, made by Paramount, usually have tons of things fans can't get past and are often frustrated by. Take for example the 70+ deck turbolift in Star Trek V. Things like that are just slaps in the face to fans. Other examples include the death of Data, Kirk, Spock's half brother, Valaris instead of Saavik (that one really chaps my ass). And don't get me started on the JJ bastardizations. In the end, these films are not made as "gifts" to the fans. They're made to make money.

A fan film is created with love and a personal understanding of Star Trek, which is frankly different for everyone. Fan films are the personal vision of the group involved and whether you like them or not, and since they are provided to you free to watch, I feel re-editing a fan film is off the table. I can't bash or critique any fan film. I can only applaud the fact that someone got off their ass and made their own version of Star Trek. I respect that. I don't respect the studio system.

4. dcsmokey

I couldn't agree with this more. Star Trek 3 could use a proper chronological cut. The Grissom appearance was supposed to the a "Teaser" of sorts to the film, followed by the threat of Klingon intervention, then beginning with Act 1, the rescue of McCoy and the retrieval of Spock.

Maybe someday I'll do this when I don't have 3 fan films waiting on my computer to get edited :)

5. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

I've always loved your In Thy Image Jack, it really feels like a new classic episode - literally as if NBC commissioned a new pilot. It really gives viewers a fresh view of the story

A friend of mine, and I hope he doesn't mind me mentioning this if so I apologize, was planning to re-edit the Trek movie franchise, inspired by you Jack, into a TV series called Star Trek: Phase II. I think this was when the Cawley show was still called New Voyages.

Roughly speaking, he would have used TMP as a 'pilot', then movies 2-6 which would have been divided into 7 episodes, with an 8th using the 'Starfleet/Klingon Academy' games plus 9th Generations Prologue; 10th Of Gods and Men (yes a fan film but the stars are Koenig and Nichols); and at least 2 more showing Spock, McCoy and Scotty in the TNG era (I don't think we got into the details - the post-Generations stuff was pretty much my idea; but I have an idea for Trek09/Unification as an episode, basically Trek09 from Spock Prime's point of view with Unification as flashbacks; NO IDEA if it would work!)

The great thing about the TOS movie series is that there are kind of character arcs running right through from the 2nd movie onwards that thread it together as a series - that would format quite well as a TV Series.

Another fan editor has taken a similar approach editing the six Trek films into a series of Telemovies, they are the six films but reformatted if you like with TVesque title sequences and commercial breaks.

Yes we do have TWO fanfilm series now giving Trek a 4th and 5th season, but this would be Season 6, the ongoing journey of Kirk and crew. The guy is now working on other projects, so I'm not sure if he's planning to revisit the idea but I guess there's an OCD inside me wanting to see the whole adventures of Kirk and crew in a series of TV boxsets!

6. dcsmokey

I have to say that idea intrigues me. Also, I'd like to cut the TNG episode that frames the ENT finale into one piece and the TOS tribbles episode and DS9 episode into a whole piece.

There's many cool things one can do with the franchise.

But don't recut fan films - which was the point of this thread :)

But first on the list, if I ever get the time is to do an HD version of my Trek V re-edit. When I originally did it 12+ years ago, DVD was the miracle format :lol:

7. Danlav05

I've seen them both done quite well on fanedit[dot]org and YouTube.

I also had a go at cutting Emissary together with Relics (after the Enterprise leaves - it was the only one I could think of that fitted!) to basically create a full-blown TNG/DS9 crossover film, inspired by the Malibu comic. I knew Picard was in Emissary but when I watched it I was surprised how much. It basically showed the Enterprise doing something else while the DS9 crew were dealing with orbs etc. I guess it should have been a more Cardassian/Bajoran based story? Relics was chosen mainly because of timing, it was a relatively straight-forward 'life in a day' episode.

At the end, we see Picard, Geordi, Worf etc on DS9 from Birthright I, the Bashir/Data thing is also there, Worf refuses to go hunt his father then we cut to Emissary with the office scene with Picard & Sisko.

It is a bit rough around the edges but kind of works - my main quibble (tribble!) is Worf goes from shoulder-length to ponytail hair!

I did make this - based on other YT stuff - what was the TNG crew up to during the Dominion War? https://vimeo.com/82462590

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  8. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

This clearly falls under the rubric of my self-appointed job as file-clerk-in-chief for fan films.

On the subject of intercutting the original Tribbles episode with the DS9 episode, Star Trek: Tribulation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sekS6OpFDig (1:12:38) has attempted just this.

Although very different than you vision, this is a recut of only the Ent part of the Enterprise final episode. It also eliminates Tripp's death, if I recall correctly (it's been many years since I viewed it)

A remix of Enterprise shots and sound to make a different ending for the series.

Editor: Surak75's Channel

Star Trek: Alliance Born (part one)(9:13)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part two)(9:33)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part three)(9:49)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part four)(8:53)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part five)(9:35)
    Star trek: Alliance Born (part six)(8:56)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part seven)(9:55)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part eight)(9:46) NOT WORKING AT TIME OF NOTATION. The creator has not signed into his account since 2006, so it seems likely he will not fix this.
    Star Trek Alliance (part nine)(9:54)
    Star Trek: Alliance Born (part ten)(9:53)

These are taken directly from Star Trek Review's Fan Recuts and Mash-ups page, vis http://startrekreviewed.blogspot.com/2009/06/214.html .

9. Danlav05

The Pegasus/'These Are The Voyages' thing has been done, but I think it was deleted. I may check out 'Alliance Born.'

For more of this sort of thing:

http://fanedit.org/ifdb/component/jreviews/tag/franchise/star-trek/

http://digital-fanedits.com/database/70-star-trek

Bionicbob's The Khitomer Conspiracy is particularly fun as he adds bits of continuity from DS9 (Auberjonois' character is a changeling!), Voyager (Omega Particles) and Enterprise (Future Guy talks with Chang) to add depth to the story, like a novelist adds scenes into a book of a film

10. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Wow, Dan, great finds! I added those links to my Recuts and Mashups page!!

I'll probably add them to some other page, too... haven't decided which yet...

GREAT FIND!!!