RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,515
Posts: 5,511,806
Members: 25,137
Currently online: 593
Newest member: VonDingle

TrekToday headlines

Captain Kirk’s Boldest Missions
By: T'Bonz on Dec 25

Trek Paper Clips
By: T'Bonz on Dec 24

Sargent Passes
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

QMx Trek Insignia Badges
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

And The New Director Of Star Trek 3 Is…
By: T'Bonz on Dec 23

TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 29 2013, 08:45 PM   #2056
Makarov
Commander
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

So far I think this season has the best special features. It's so cool to see the reading rainbow segment, I must have seen that on TV when I was 5 or 6 years old!
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 12:58 AM   #2057
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Makarov wrote: View Post
So far I think this season has the best special features. It's so cool to see the reading rainbow segment, I must have seen that on TV when I was 5 or 6 years old!
But you don't have to take my word for it.

(Da-da Dun!)
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2013, 03:09 AM   #2058
FelizNavidad
Admiral
 
FelizNavidad's Avatar
 
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
View FelizNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Makarov wrote: View Post
So far I think this season has the best special features. It's so cool to see the reading rainbow segment, I must have seen that on TV when I was 5 or 6 years old!
Yep. That's the type of stuff I wanted to see as the series progressed. To only have special features with just the writing staff and the feature feeling like it would have worked the best on the DVD sets is really disappointing.
__________________
Twitter

sjsharksfan39
FelizNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 04:52 AM   #2059
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Well, this is all very depressing, though it explains why the radiator glow in Heart of glory was changed, even though I'm almost certain it was intentional, though I'd have to find that particular Andrew Probert painting to be sure.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2013, 09:43 PM   #2060
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Well, this is all very depressing, though it explains why the radiator glow in Heart of glory was changed, even though I'm almost certain it was intentional, though I'd have to find that particular Andrew Probert painting to be sure.
Did you intend to respond to a post in the Season 1 thread?
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2013, 05:48 PM   #2061
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral
 
USS Mariner's Avatar
 
Location: Homestate of Matt Jefferies
View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Well, this is all very depressing, though it explains why the radiator glow in Heart of glory was changed, even though I'm almost certain it was intentional, though I'd have to find that particular Andrew Probert painting to be sure.
Did you intend to respond to a post in the Season 1 thread?
My bad. I honestly thought Heart of Glory was a Season 2 episode.
__________________
Ignorance is forgivable,
Arrogance is reprehensible,
Narcissism is intolerable.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2013, 05:53 PM   #2062
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain
 
Doug Otte's Avatar
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Doug Otte wrote: View Post
USS Mariner wrote: View Post
Well, this is all very depressing, though it explains why the radiator glow in Heart of glory was changed, even though I'm almost certain it was intentional, though I'd have to find that particular Andrew Probert painting to be sure.
Did you intend to respond to a post in the Season 1 thread?
My bad. I honestly thought Heart of Glory was a Season 2 episode.
No worries. I just wanted to let you know in case you were expecting a discussion about Season 1. Thanks.
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2013, 04:23 PM   #2063
jlpsquared
Cadet
 
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Gotta throw something out there. Now that I am re-watching the series through these blu-rays, I wonder if Season 2 was Picards strongest season? Anyone agree with me? I think Stewart (as in the actor) was wonderful every season and is the heart of the show, but I think by Season 4-5 he was "Lightening up" or something, that I guess a lot of people like, but I never really did. But season 7, he was a smiling idiot in many episodes. I feel he "became" Stewart and less Picard.

Obviously, he was light years ahead of A-hole Picard from season 1, but when I think of his best speeches, they are invarialbly from Season 2. He seemed somewhat mean, but shouldn't a starship captian be a little mean to maintain discipline on a starship? I really love Season 2 Picard!!!
jlpsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2013, 08:00 AM   #2064
MakeshiftPython
Captain
 
MakeshiftPython's Avatar
 
Location: Ladies love Riker's beard.
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

jlpsquared wrote: View Post
shouldn't a starship captian be a little mean to maintain discipline on a starship?
It would be a bit backwards after showing how Kirk commanded. I think it was Shatner that made the decision to have Kirk have a friendly demeanor after the reception Christopher Pike got. His idea is that in the future a commander could easily be friendly and maintain discipline on a starship. However, he would become harsh only when it was necessary such as his treatment of Stiles in "Balance of Terror". I feel A-Hole Picard was simply done just to make him different enough from Kirk, but they obviously backed away from that decision over time and I think for the better. There are a few touches I liked on Picard during the early season, such as in "Encounter at Farpoint" the red alert klaxon is going on and Picard shouts "shut off that damn noise!".
MakeshiftPython is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17 2013, 11:24 PM   #2065
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

For anyone in Europe, or even in the States, who hasn't got season 2 yet and wants a copy, Amazon.co.uk have a few Italian copies (identical packaging but with Italian on the front and reverse) for £18. All the usual audio languages present on the episodes.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27 2013, 11:57 PM   #2066
Admiral Bear
Captain
 
Admiral Bear's Avatar
 
Location: Permanent away mission with the fairies
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Slowly wading my way through season 2. God, some of the footage is appalling quality. Mainly dark scenes, but certainly not confined to them.

Regards the extended Measure of a Man, I have a question. If the extended footage really was gained from an old VHS tape (let's be kind and assume it was super duper quality studio master grade), why can't the same HD quality that was obtained from the SD tape through restoration, be obtained from the CBS video tapes for all the missing scenes from various other episodes in future seasons.

I can't believe that when the original filmed episodes were transferred to video for post production, editing etc that it gave a lower quality than what was on Snodgrass' Measure of a Man VHS.

There's two minutes of SD footage across season 5. OK, it's only two minutes, but if that's two minutes of the same upscaled quality I saw in BOBW, then I'd like to see some HD restoration from the video used to make the DVDs. Or will CBS do this in the future just to milk the fans for even more cash?
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28 2013, 12:05 AM   #2067
Sho
Fleet Captain
 
Sho's Avatar
 
Location: Berlin, Germany
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

^ The extended cut wasn't transferred from an SD tape. What the SD tape gave them is a cut they could reassemble in HD from the film negatives, just like they reassemble the final cuts.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:12 AM   #2068
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander
 
Beta-Z's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Obviously HTV has done quite a good (better) job on the x-files than on TNG.

Some of the remastered HD episodes had been shown on german pay-tv already yesterday, some examples of the pilot:

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-210bkfk.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-21fyjl2.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-21nhj1d.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-21e4jb9.png

http://i1.someimage.com/qTWfstz.png

http://i1.someimage.com/ZBTgP1c.png


Good job so far, seems they've learned.
Please keep in mind that's cable-TV with quite extensive compression level!
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 05:04 AM   #2069
Maxwell Everett
Commodore
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Beta-Z wrote: View Post
Obviously HTV has done quite a good (better) job on the x-files than on TNG.

Some of the remastered HD episodes had been shown on german pay-tv already yesterday, some examples of the pilot:

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-210bkfk.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-21fyjl2.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-21nhj1d.png

http://abload.de/img/vlcsnap-2014-01-20-21e4jb9.png

http://i1.someimage.com/qTWfstz.png

http://i1.someimage.com/ZBTgP1c.png


Good job so far, seems they've learned.
Please keep in mind that's cable-TV with quite extensive compression level!
That looks pretty great! I was eagerly anticipating images of this debut broadcast. I assume it was aired with a German dub, correct? No original English audio? And what was the frame rate, 60i with 2:3 pulldown or 50i?
__________________
"Shake off all the fears & servile prejudices, under which weak minds are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion." -Thomas Jefferson
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 05:18 AM   #2070
Beta-Z
Lieutenant Commander
 
Beta-Z's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
Re: Season TWO OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

That looks pretty great! I was eagerly anticipating images of this debut broadcast. I assume it was aired with a German dub, correct? No original English audio? And what was the frame rate, 60i with 2:3 pulldown or 50i?
Dubbed, yes. No english audio.
It was shown at PAL speed, similar to the RC2 DVD.
So, a little bit faster than US-speed.
But that's the normal thingy with TV here in Europe, I guess.

But anyway, this was only the pilot and that's already a GREAT recommendation to get the Xfiles BD-sets imho. I will.
Beta-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.