Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 21 2014, 04:34 AM   #91
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.
Re: Question to those most disappointed with the SW prequels

I've wondered this for a long time.. did Anakin use the Force to emotionally manipulate Padme into loving him and overlooking his flaws?

"You don't need to see his identification" could just as easily be "You don't need to see a reason for this behavior". He could have started out with just a bit of handwaving to smooth things out so she wasn't shitty about something one day and just gotten more and more into it until she was addicted to him, bound to him, and blind to him. Total emotional abuse.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:47 AM   #92
RoJoHen
Awesome

^If so, that's something I would have liked to actually see. It would certainly make a lot more sense.
Old January 21 2014, 04:54 AM   #93
teacake
Fleet Admiral

She's no dummy, he would have to hide it from her. I'm sure he didn't need to actually hand wave all the time. Probably had it down to just rubbing his fingers together "nervously".

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 21 2014, 05:15 AM   #94
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

Location: The North Pole of the Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View SantaEddie74's Twitter Profile

With Anakin's huge midichlorian count he probably didn't even need to wave or rub any hand or fingers to implant suggestions in somebody's mind. I don't know if he ever did such with Padmé because I'm in the camp of "she was just too in love with his dysfunctional ass to pay closer attention to some of his worst faults," but it's certainly possible.

And maybe that's part of why romantic relationships were discouraged and forbidden in the Order. It would be too easy to use one's Jedi mind trick powers to control the relationship and that would be seen as profoundly dishonest and ultimately destructive to both parties.

"Don't forget to have a Patrick Swayze Christmas!"
SantaEddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 05:20 AM   #95
M.A.C.O.
Fleet Captain

Wasn't there a scene in AOTC where Padme asks about Jedi mind tricks and Anakin tells her they only work on the weak minded?

I'm searching for it now but I don't remember when it was said.
M.A.C.O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 05:20 AM   #96
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Good point there cooleddie with them being forbidden.

I can't imagine Anakin, a manipulator who really wants his own way in everything not tweaking Padme's perceptions to get it. It is too much temptation for a man who thinks he will one day be able to stop people from dying to not stop the woman he loves from seeing him badly.

And then I think it would snowball.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 21 2014, 05:22 AM   #97
teacake
Fleet Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post
Wasn't there a scene in AOTC where Padme asks about Jedi mind tricks and Anakin tells her they only work on the weak minded?

HE probably told her that to keep her from ever suspecting he was using them on her. And since he is so powerful he may have been able to influence people with stronger minds anyway. Also she's in love, she's open and receptive to him unlike someone he is in a potentially antagonistic relationship with.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 21 2014, 05:25 AM   #98
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

The scene he's talking about might be from AOTC where Anakin and Padmé are rollicking on the plains and in the tall grass and they sit down to joke and have the conversation about whether or not democracy or one strong person would be the better government for the Republic.

Anakin (after proposing that one man should have the say): "Well. If it works."

Then he gives that sinister smile right before they laugh and play it off.

Old January 21 2014, 03:26 PM   #99
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I don't hate the prequels but I don't love them either. I think I was disappointed by two things in them:

1. Losing Darth Maul at the end of the first film without any real insight into the character.

2. We didn't get a complete film with Vader being a bad ass. One movie of whiny-ass Anakin was more than enough. The second was just overkill.

Episode I should've been us learning who Anakin was, Episode II should've been his rise and fall as a Jedi, Episode III should've been focused on Vader kicking ass and taking names.
Old January 21 2014, 04:22 PM   #100
2takesfrakes
Commodore

teacake's suggestion that Annie's been using his Jedi Magic on Padme is an interesting one. But I doubt that happenned very much, in the beginning. Certainly not in Attack of the Clones, where she's playing "hard to get." As Queen (I know I keep saying "of the galaxy" but I'm just exaggerating), she can be many things: Idealistic, Corrupt ... whathaveyou ... but not weakminded. Not as an effective leader whose citizenry demanded she stay on (though she refused). And besides ...

It's so much better - for you - when the one you want is "there" with you because it's their choice. If they're there out of guilt, or manipulation, the very quality of the relationship suffers and what's left is mainly appearances. No. Annie wasn't playing with her mind, at least throughout most of their relationship. She's there to put a practical slant on everything to make what he wants possible, like demanding their relationship be kept secret. She doesn't blindly follow his lead, but she definitely sees herself as having married "up" ... someone who's almost godlike. She's in awe.

If he did want to control her, he didn't do a good job of it. She even let herself get pregnant, something he definitely wasn't thinking about and didn't want, but he puts a good face on it, for her sake. And finally, I suspect that he did not control her emotions as much as he controlled what information she was privy to. He didn't tell her everything. Indeed, he came and went as he wanted and she simply accepted it as part of his job - like being married to a doctor. Besides, all this stuff about Annie being so powerful - I never saw it. He seemed about on par with everyone else, really.
Old January 21 2014, 04:38 PM   #101
DWF
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
Episode III should've been focused on Vader kicking ass and taking names.
Which is pretty much what happened, once he became Darth Vader is took out the other Jedi at the temple and the Seperatist leaders.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 04:41 PM   #102
DWF
Vice Admiral

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Besides, all this stuff about Annie being so powerful - I never saw it. He seemed about on par with everyone else, really.
He could podrace which according to TPM no other human could do, he took out the Jedi at the temple, killed Dooku and took out the Seperatist leaders, not to bad for a 20 year old.
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 05:10 PM   #103
SantaEddie74
Fleet Admiral

He was one of the most powerful Jedi and Sith in recorded history. He just happened to be an emotionally wracked and disjointed, unconfident and power-hungry young man trapped in an expert pilot and warrior's body which made things so much more complicated and dangerous.

Anakin was the Chosen One. He also happened to be a complete and total mess.

Old January 21 2014, 05:18 PM   #104
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
She's no dummy, he would have to hide it from her. I'm sure he didn't need to actually hand wave all the time. Probably had it down to just rubbing his fingers together "nervously".
If he actually Force-manipulated her, it would explain sooooo much, for instance how she went from being independent and no-nonsense to sentimental and completely oblivious to Anakin's emo-ness and downward spiral.

She started off as being good at observing things. She ended up as a doofus...well, to be fair, shortly before he Force-choked her, she sort of snapped out of it, but Episode 1 Padme would never simply give up on life because her marriage fell apart, especially with 2 babies needing her. I might be less ragey about this if I imagine Anakin manipulating her in my head canon. Good call.
Old January 21 2014, 05:19 PM   #105
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

AllStarEntprise wrote: View Post

This is how the scene should have played out:

"Are you going to use one of your Jedi mind tricks on me?"

"They only work on the weak-minded. So, yes."

cooleddie74 wrote:
With Anakin's huge midichlorian count he probably didn't even need to wave or rub any hand or fingers to implant suggestions in somebody's mind.
Luke certainly didn't need to stick his hand out to levitate Threepio.

DWF wrote:
and took out the Seperatist leaders
^ This one is probably the least noteworthy as a reflection of his skill; the Separatists were total scrubs and were very poorly defended. There wasn't even a droideka! About the coolest thing Anakin does in that scene is his behind-the-back deflection of a blaster bolt from a battle droid ( which was reproduced as his deflection animation in the video game ).

CommanderRaytas wrote:
Episode 1 Padme would never simply give up on life because her marriage fell apart
There's no reason to believe things were really that simple; after all, a droid can have no understanding of the Force, so if confronted by a Force-related phenomenon it would have to find a different way to express the situation.