Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 11 2014, 09:37 PM   #61
Sran
Fleet Captain

Re: Captain of the next Trek series

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
They could... but then the question becomes why? Why try to get the audience to care about new characters when there are already characters people care about in the public consciousness?
My point is that I think creativity and originality are important. Recycling characters that already exist doesn't always have desired effect- on the contrary, it can cause audiences to devalue the characters they once cared about if they're portrayed poorly.

And why continue Berman-Trek, which was simply one variant vision of Star Trek, largely created by other people? Is the point to tell an interesting story in the Star Trek setting, or is simply about maintaining the illusion -- or delusion -- of a larger continuity among all the different Star Trek series and movies -- that Star Trek is somehow real? If the point is the latter, then it quickly becomes, IMO, a geeky-ass waste of time.
It seems to me that anyone who puts Star Trek back on the small-screen would be creating a unique variant of the show. But I don't necessarily think a new series has to fall in line with Rick Berman's idea of what Trek should be. My reason for wanting to see a series that follows up on the events of TNG and DS9 has to do with me wanting to see how events I've already witnessed have impacted the fictional galaxy the people of the twenty fourth century live in.

Do I believe these events and people are real? Of course not. But I like the idea of seeing a process through to conclusion, as there are many loose threads that could be explored in the context of a new series. And as I've said before, I'd also be okay with a series set between 2265-70 if it focused on characters we've met before but don't know as much about. What else was happening in the Federation while Kirk was commanding the five-year mission?

--Sran
Old January 12 2014, 02:01 AM   #62
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Sran wrote: View Post
They could... but then the question becomes why? Why try to get the audience to care about new characters when there are already characters people care about in the public consciousness?
My point is that I think creativity and originality are important.
Well, if what you want is originality, then why would you want Star Trek? Why wouldn't you want an original production.

Recycling characters that already exist doesn't always have desired effect- on the contrary, it can cause audiences to devalue the characters they once cared about if they're portrayed poorly.
Wouldn't that be equally true of any poorly-portrayed characters, whether original or existing?

My reason for wanting to see a series that follows up on the events of TNG and DS9 has to do with me wanting to see how events I've already witnessed have impacted the fictional galaxy the people of the twenty fourth century live in.
Fair enough, and like I said, I think most people around here probably agree with you. But I don't think the general audience gives a shit about it. Berman-Trek had its day, but that day is over. Just as the Basil Rathbone Sherlock Holmes movies had their day, and they eventually had to end and make way for new versions of Conan Doyle's character.

Do I believe these events and people are real? Of course not. But I like the idea of seeing a process through to conclusion, as there are many loose threads that could be explored in the context of a new series. And as I've said before, I'd also be okay with a series set between 2265-70 if it focused on characters we've met before but don't know as much about. What else was happening in the Federation while Kirk was commanding the five-year mission?
Personally, I'd like the producer of the next Trek reboot to go back to the source material and realize a lot of what modern Trek fans take for granted had nothing to do with the original series. There's no evidence from TOS that Trek took place in the 23rd Century, so the 2265 setting date can be safely tossed out the airlock. Ron Moore's Klingons didn't yet exist; we could get a totally different kind of Klingon from the ones that developed in the later movies and in TNG. There's plenty of room for an interpretation of Trek vastly different from what we got in the Berman-produced years. The source material should be respected -- the Enterprise and her crew on a mission of exploration -- but all of the details that came in later movies and spinoff series may be dropped.
Old January 17 2014, 06:24 PM   #63
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

My point is that I think creativity and originality are important.
Well, if what you want is originality, then why would you want Star Trek? Why wouldn't you want an original production.
This is exactly how I feel. If people truly want something new then they don't want "Star Trek". Any Trek series with "new" characters is going to be playing by the same rules in the same universe as the last fifty-years of Trek productions.

It will end up being a "check-box" series.
Old January 21 2014, 02:08 AM   #64
Sran
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
This is exactly how I feel. If people truly want something new then they don't want "Star Trek". Any Trek series with "new" characters is going to be playing by the same rules in the same universe as the last fifty-years of Trek productions.
I've yet to hear anyone explain what's wrong with that. As to why I'd like to see a series that follows TNG-DS9-VOY, it's because I like the idea of following up on story threads and ideas that were briefly introduced or explored during the earlier series. In order to provide an element of freshness, the series could be set in the 2390s or early 2400s in order to allow for enough time passage that nothing aired contradicts existing canon or the novels currently available.

It will end up being a "check-box" series.
Not if it's put together properly and features interesting characters and plotlines. Most fans will accept a series driven by entertaining writing. Might there be problems attracting non-fans who think Star Trek is only Kirk and Spock? Perhaps, but the same thing was said about TNG when it was released.

I don't know. Maybe I see Trek differently because for me, it's a window into a hypothetical future viewed the through the eyes of several groups of people over several decades of time. I don't see it as a story about a single ship and crew, nor have I ever.

--Sran
Old February 3 2014, 12:40 PM   #65
I am not Spock
Commodore

I'd be happy with a television reboot of the original series. I'd also be fine with a show with a new crew. For me, Star Trek is bigger than just TOS. It encompasses all the other shows, too.

I grew up mainly with Berman era Trek. But I recognise TOS as the best series, with DS9 following closely behind.

I can't deny that for the general public, though, not the hardcore fans; Trek IS the original (and TNG as well, to a slightly lesser extent).
Old February 3 2014, 07:06 PM   #66
jgvinha
Ensign

If I was responsible for the rebirth of Star Trek on TV (fortunately for the franchise i'm not) I would do one short 10 episode season or mini-series with a story arc and see how it would go from there.

I believe a serialized story rather than a procedural format would have a better effect on viewers and new audiences, as for the theme I really liked the vanguard novels but I could live with ST2009's Captain Robeau or something set during the Romulan wars that followed Enterprise's ending.

Of course, as you probably guessed by now, I will basically watch anything with Star Trek on the title, so my opinion is what it is, I imagine
jgvinha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 04:21 PM   #67
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Count wrote: View Post
so why is it that we've never seen an officer who can simply outwit his opponents or negotiate an agreement with nothing but guile and personality alone? No weapons, no equipment, no plan and still come out on top?
That's a description of Kirk.

Exactly. Kirk is the guy who can talk evil, power mad computers into self destructing.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 07:15 PM   #68
FreedPhotons
Ensign

I'd love a Vulcan captain, or at least a Janeway/Picard type of captain. One of the problems I had with ENT, DS9 and TOS is the overly emotional anthropocentrist captain. I'd really like a non-human captain (maybe a hologram? an android?)

I wouldn't mind if he was gay, too, though I'm obviously not holding my breath... (And no it wouldn't mean it would be "all about his sexuality", no more than previous series were all about Sisko's or Archer's heterosexuality...).
FreedPhotons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:14 PM   #69
AirCommodore
Lieutenant Commander

I'd prefer a female captain. Late 30's to early 40's. Probably human. She could be LGBT. A trans woman would be an interesting take. I would prefer that it was not in any existing timeline. Not Nutrek but not JJTrek either.
AirCommodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 03:49 AM   #70
BigJake
Rear Admiral

I don't see it as a story about a single ship and crew, nor have I ever.
Yeah, me neither. That's precisely its virtue.

I don't see what's wrong with some originality or creativity either. Trek without either isn't Trek, or at least doesn't have the qualities that made the franchise iconic in the first place.
Old February 13 2014, 04:34 AM   #71
Lord Manitou
Commander

I believe most of the trek captains are gay. Unless your actually considering going all the way with this sucker.
No, seriously, I don't think the gay factor should be increased.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 07:45 AM   #72
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

The central character of a new series will pretty much have to be human. That character doesn't necessarily have to be the captain, but given that most action takes the form of ship-to-ship, making the main character and the captain separate would be a tricky approach.

As for the main character/captain's demographics, I say open casting, and pick the best actor/actress on a purely meritocratic basis.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2014, 08:18 AM   #73
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Lord Manitou wrote: View Post
I believe most of the trek captains are gay. Unless your actually considering going all the way with this sucker.
No, seriously, I don't think the gay factor should be increased.
Aye sir, ahead Gay Factor 5.
Old February 13 2014, 07:01 PM   #74
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Lord Manitou wrote: View Post
Hey, if they're a gay sucker then ... never mind.

Old February 13 2014, 08:43 PM   #75
CRM-114
Lieutenant Junior Grade

For me, the Berman-era series have aged poorly. I'm not everyone nor do I profess to be. But we already have six-hundred hours of "other Trek" and less than a hundred of Kirk and Spock. I'm one that thinks the core of Trek needs to be explored again. YMMV.
TOS was my first love in Star Trek, so I can understand where you're coming from in terms of wanting to get back to the ideas and values of that era. I would like to see more of how the rest of the Federation functioned during the twenty third century, as TOS offered only brief glimpses of other ships and crews- both during the TV series and the films.

I wouldn't mind seeing a series set during the five-year mission but would be interested in seeing another crew chronicled in parallel to the adventures the Enterprise was having. Further exploration of the careers of people like Willard Decker, Clark Terrell, Thelin th'Valrass, Morgan Bateson (pre-TNG), and others would interest me. I don't advocate having them all on the same ship (it's not practical), but a series that features a few of them could work.

--Sran
Totally agree with this statement. Trek fans seem to think that the franchise has to push further into the future as if that makes a new series intrinsically better.

When it comes to creativity, what's the crime in making a lateral move?
CRM-114 is offline   Reply With Quote