Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 19 2014, 01:45 AM   #1
Tribble27
Cadet

Which future is it?

Unlike a lot of Trekkers, I really enjoy the JJ Trek, but I do have one problem that I've never seen anyone else mention. That doesn't mean no one else hasn't mentioned it, I just haven't seen it anywhere...

One thing I like about Star Trek as opposed to Star Wars is that Trek portrays our future, not only that, but it is a future we would love to see, a better future than other sci-fi envisions. When Orci and company wrote the new Trek, they created an alternate reality so they could have the freedom to write without contradicting canon. I compleetly understand that choice, it makes sence from a writers point of view. It is true that Star Trek has never been shy of parallel realities, but the main timeline was always supposed to be our direct future. This Abramsverse kills that.

We live in a liner timeline. There will be a real 23rd century. The splitting of the timeline makes it unclear whether JJ trek is our future or the original is. The fantasy that this will be our future isn't there anymore, and I miss it.
Tribble27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 01:54 AM   #2
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Which future is it?

Wasn't it already established (probably more than once) that there were lots of timelines anyway ?
Old January 19 2014, 01:59 AM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

The idea is that the timeline splits in 2233 - in one version of history, Nero appears, attacks the USS Kelvin and eventually destroys Vulcan. In the other, he doesn't appear and history unfolds as seen in TOS/TNG/DS9 and VOY.

So really they're both possible futures. That being said, Trek's world may be similar to ours, but like the Earth in the Marvel movies, it isn't quite. We never had the kind of technology that created Khan in the 70's, a war between Augment supermen in the 90's, cryopods and ships with artificial gravity in 1996, a computer tycoon named Henry Starling who made a fortune from a crashed 29th century Starfleet ship etc.

It doesn't mean we can't make our world a better place, where there's no hunger and everyone knows how to read.
Old January 19 2014, 02:23 AM   #4
Tribble27
Cadet

I get the split in two timelines. And as for Khan never having really existed, or there never having been a Voyager 6 launch, and other things that have come and gone, that is just a testament to the fact that Star Trek keeps outliving expectations. The 1990s seemed like a million years in the future in the 1960s. But when real history unfolded different, we can sort of set that aside and move on and still keep the fantasy of this being "The" future. It's harder to do that with active main timelines. Just a minor nitpick, but we fans love our nitpicks.

Maybe we all live in the evil mirror universe? I should grow a goatee...
Tribble27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 03:54 AM   #5
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Our future will not be anything like that represented in Trek, because Trek is fiction and reality tends not to follow the same script. That being said, Trek shows us an idealized, fantasized, and romanticized version of the future that we should try to work towards, but that's really the extent of it no matter how many times it's rewritten, reimagined, or rebooted.
Old January 19 2014, 11:34 AM   #6
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

They're both our future.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big... area rug.
Old January 19 2014, 01:45 PM   #7
urbandefault
Captain

"The future hasn't been written yet." - Emmett L. Brown, Ph.D.

urbandefault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 06:51 PM   #8
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Tribble27 wrote: View Post
Unlike a lot of Trekkers, I really enjoy the JJ Trek
What constitutes 'a lot?'

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 06:56 PM   #9
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

One million seven hundred seventy one thousand five hundred sixty one.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 09:19 PM   #10
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Our future will not be anything like that represented in Trek, because Trek is fiction and reality tends not to follow the same script. That being said, Trek shows us an idealized, fantasized, and romanticized version of the future that we should try to work towards, but that's really the extent of it no matter how many times it's rewritten, reimagined, or rebooted.
I disagree. Our own future has been shaped by the Trek TV shows already. Cell phones, medical scanners. We seem to love to make that future a reality.
Old January 21 2014, 12:19 AM   #11
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

P0sitr0nic wrote: View Post
I disagree. Our own future has been shaped by the Trek TV shows already. Cell phones, medical scanners. We seem to love to make that future a reality.
Seems odd to give Star Trek credit for technology that would've been invented any way.
Old January 21 2014, 12:51 AM   #12
AgentCoop
Fleet Captain

View AgentCoop's Twitter Profile

This "issue" has been with us since TOS, hasn't it? Mirror Universe?
AgentCoop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 12:59 AM   #13
Hythlodeus
Commander

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
They're both our future.

People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big... area rug.
in other words...wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff?
Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 06:28 AM   #14
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Seems odd to give Star Trek credit for technology that would've been invented any way.
Would it have been, though? The developers of today's medical scanners and bedside monitors in hospitals have repeatedly stated that they were inspired by the bio-beds in Star Trek, and wanted to develop that technology.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 03:41 PM   #15
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
"That future" is a fantasy, created by studio execs first and foremost for entertainment and money-making purposes (and not necessarily in that order). Trek's inspired some things like you mentioned in our world, but it isn't going to be an accurate depiction of how things will truly be. "The real" future will be different--more advanced than Trek in some areas, but substantially far behind in others.