New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old December 14 2013, 11:43 PM   #31
shipfisher
Commander

Re: Would a real life transporter technically be 'murder' ?

No Sanity Clause wrote: View Post
The Making of Star Trek does discuss the dramatic and storytelling reasons for creating the transporter, though the Cleopatra's barge analogy is nowhere mentioned. Perhaps you got it from some other source? In any case, TMOST was written by Stephen E. Whitfield. Bill Theiss was Star Trek's costume designer.
Quite right. I've strung some memories together on that one. Hey, how 'bout that? All that stuff I smoked in the 70's did some damage after all.
shipfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19 2013, 12:25 AM   #32
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

This may answer your question on the moralities of matter transportation:

Yay for my country's National Film Board!

Mind you, this teleporter is more about creating a copy of the original and LITERALLY destroying the original, but the concept is essentially the same.

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21 2013, 03:54 PM   #33
YARN
Fleet Captain

Suppose you had a precious family heirloom. Let's say it's a beautiful painting of your grandfather which was painted by your grandmother.

Now suppose a magician asks to use your painting in a local magic show. You agree.

In the show, the magician douses the painting with kerosine and sets it ablaze, leaving nothing but ashes. At the end of the show, what appears to be your painting is returned to you, no harm done.

After the show, you ask the magician how he did it. After further cajoling, he gleefully shares his secret. He has an expert painter in his employ who can create indistinguishable copies of paintings. The original painting was, in fact, consumed in the flames, but what matters was that at the end of the trick, an indistinguishable copy was returned to you.

Would you feel that you were wronged in this exchange?
YARN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 01:02 AM   #34
Pippin209
Ensign

I seam to remember a episode on TNG where scotty from TOS was found still alive in the transporter buffer on a shuttle or other spaceship for like 40 years and he did not remember or realise that he had been in there for that long. so i dont think that you are directly transferred from one place to another. again i remember once hearing about a hisenburg filter that allowed for the scanning and recontitution of the person from a spesific moment.
Old January 20 2014, 01:27 AM   #35
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Well, Scotty rigged up the transporter in a way that it didn't normally operate in. Any issues in squaring the behavior of the transporter in "Relics" with the transporter behavior in episodes like "Realm of Fear" can, I think, be attributed to Scotty's jury-rigging.

The first time anything like storing people inside the transporter was done was "Day of the Dove". There it was called "suspended in transit." Naturally, they didn't elaborate on what that means, and Scotty's characterization of it as "non-existence" is sufficiently vague to allow for different answers to the question of how much time Kang and his party perceived to have passed.

Of course, if you go back to "Obsession", there are multiple attempts made to rematerialize Kirk and Garrovick, so arguably their patterns were kept in a similar place. Also, the rejoining process in "The Enemy Within" could have had the Kirk(s) in the same place, as well. Is it what was later called the "pattern buffer"? Oh, most likely!
Old January 20 2014, 07:37 PM   #36
Lord Manitou
Commander

Think of the DMA function in a computer. With Direct Memory Access one can stream movies and use the computer to play solitaire all simultaneously.

I would, too, feel a little squeamish if all of me is to be transformed into an electromagnetic transmission which would not , or I seriously doubt, would involve micro-particles(atoms and molecules). Either that or they made a carrier beam where atoms and molecules ride piggyback at the speed of light. I think this latter is closest to Star Trek Tech.
Janeway #1: Think, people we need options.
Janeway #2: I agree captain.

http://voyagr-ep-memorys.com/
Lord Manitou is offline   Reply With Quote