MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 20 2014, 12:45 AM   #7756
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

If #45 is good, and it's the first one I've read, I will be COMPELLED to buy the first 44 and all cross overs... However, why the frakk would I put myself in such a ridiculous situation? Why put myself in the the predicament of possibly chosing wrong between more comics or paying my rent?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 01:10 AM   #7757
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Word of mouth is overrated.

More people will buy #1s.

Creative team changes are things that only comic book nerds (people like us) care about.
There was a time when issues like #50, #75 and #100 actually meant something. Publicity around those issues was important. Now comics don't even reach 30 or 40 issues.

I am sure there are other ways to get hype a book rather than just starting at 1 again. Why does Justice League United need to restart JLA at #1 for example? Why not just change the title of the book?
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 01:43 AM   #7758
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Because if you change it to Justice League United #14, then the uninitiated will be wondering what happened to issues #1-13.
Old January 20 2014, 04:19 AM   #7759
shivkala
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Because if you change it to Justice League United #14, then the uninitiated will be wondering what happened to issues #1-13.
I never understood this argument, especially in the age of the internet.

Were people confused in the 80's when The Fury of Firestorm The Nuclear Man changed to Firestorm the Nuclear Man, and then to just simply Firestorm during it's 100 issue run?

Did people back then go rummaging through their comic store's bins looking for Adventures of Superman #'s 1-423 and then become even more confused when they couldn't find them, but Superman, which had a new #1 issue, also had up to issue 423, which had been published recently?

What about fans of Justice League, which became Justice League International with issue #7 and then Justice League America with issue #26, just as Justice League Europe launched?

Hell, nowadays, the change from Flash to The Flash between issues #100 and #101 back in '95 would be cause to relaunch the title at #1.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 04:41 AM   #7760
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

On the other hand, there's nothing actually wrong with renumbering besides the fact that it makes nerds get all pissy.
Old January 20 2014, 04:46 AM   #7761
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

While I don't think it should be done all the time, I really do see the argument for frequent #1s. Say I'm Joe Normal, never read a comic, but want to get started. I go to pick up a Superman comic. What's more appealing? Superman #632 or Superman #1? Seeing the #1 tells me that this is a good place to jump in. Seeing some triple digit number makes me think I would be coming in the middle of a story, and I would be less likely to bother. I think that perhaps renumbering when there's a change in creative teams is a good idea that could help grow the number of comic readers out there. Picking up a comic seems like a less daunting task.
Old January 20 2014, 05:19 AM   #7762
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I guess it's hard for me to understand that mentality. I started reading super-hero comics with Superman #50, which not only was the 50th issue, but also the 4th part of a 4 part storyline, which crossed over with the other Superman titles. Granted, it was the engagement issue, but being issue #50 didn't stop me.

I branched out from there and grabbed Flash #50 and Green Lantern #9.

I just don't buy the argument that the only thing preventing people from picking up a title is that it isn't a #1 issue. There have been plenty of series that I picked up in the midst of their runs. Again, the internet makes it easy to figure out which issues you need and which you can ignore.

And, as Guy said, picking up comics after the 1st issue makes people want to go back and buy the previous issues, which drives up back issue sales (good for the comic store), as well as the trades (good for bookstores, Amazon, the comic store, etc.).

Which isn't to say that I'm against restarting series, mind you. I do agree that a major change in the title is a valid reason to restart it. However, I think comic companies have been too liberal with restarting a series. If the protagonist or the very essence of the series changes, then I can see restarting it. For example, my previously used example of Superman and Justice League restarting after Crisis on Infinite Earths and more recently, Green Lantern restarting with Hal as the main character, instead of Kyle after Rebirth, represent times when I think it was worthwhile to restart.

Over at Marvel, restarting and re-titling Spider-Man, when Octavious took over made sense. Same with their restarting Daredevil, when Waid came onboard to move Matt from being a dark and serious character back to a troubled, but more carefree character.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old January 20 2014, 05:54 AM   #7763
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post

Creative team changes are things that only comic book nerds (people like us) care about.
Comics are things that only comic book nerds care about. No one else cares about comics, let alone creative team changes. There is no casual reader of comic books. Maybe graphic novels, but monthlies are, I believe, the territory of the comic book nerd.
Old January 20 2014, 06:38 AM   #7764
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Well if issue one is the ticket, then why not get rid of ongoing series?

What if everything was a mini series focussing on who ever the hell from the entire DCU?

It is sort of ridiculous that any single story doesn't bleed over into every other story each month... I always remember that issue of Alan Moore's Swamp thing where the Justice league is sitting in their satellite, and they are looking at how the Floronic Man killed a small town and almost wiped out the rest of the planet in the same fashion, and Kal has this big speech about "Where were we? Why didn't we stop this? What was so important in Metropolis or Central City or Gotham that we couldn't have saved that little shanty town?"

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 02:04 PM   #7765
shivkala
Rear Admiral

That's Marvel's plan in the 90's for Venom. He just had mini-series after mini-series.
Old January 20 2014, 02:41 PM   #7766
Mike Farley
Commodore

It's basically what Hellboy (and the larger Mignola-verse) has done for the last 2 decades.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 03:28 PM   #7767
Mr Light
Admiral

I can't stand the constant stream of mini series because then it becomes a bitch figuring out the order the stories take place in. That always really bugged me about Hellboy and BRPD. Fortunately BRPD finally started a singular numbering.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 03:47 PM   #7768
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Read Superman/Wonder Woman #4. Charles Soule has done some interesting character work on this book as he continues to explore the relationship between Wonder Woman and Superman along with it's ramifications and consequences now that it has been made public. There is a great panel where it shows Batman seeing coverage on a jumbo screen in Gotham Square and he Batarang's the screen much to the disappointment of the public lol. Bruce clearly doesn't like this relationship. Also General Zod releases Faora from the Phantom Zone.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 09:15 PM   #7769
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I can't stand the constant stream of mini series because then it becomes a bitch figuring out the order the stories take place in. That always really bugged me about Hellboy and BRPD. Fortunately BRPD finally started a singular numbering.
I agree. And with non-creator owned material, it often means a change in direction either of the character, the creative team, or both.
Old January 21 2014, 02:00 AM   #7770
JD
Admiral

Smallville Season 11 went from ongoing numbering to restarting at #1 for each new storyline earlier this year.
Honestly, as long as the story lines are continuing, I don't really care how a series is numbered.