Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old November 7 2013, 04:53 AM   #31
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Re: Voyager Books

Lynx wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind to see Kirsten Beyer as the author for a new series. My only objection is that I don't want it to take place in the Abramsverse.
It won't. Due to somethingorother (reports are contradictory), there aren't any novels set in the new movie continuity coming any time soon.
Old November 7 2013, 09:02 AM   #32
jazamul
Vice Admiral

I hadn't picked up any of the latest voyager books by Kirsten Beyer, but this thread inspired me to give them a go. I'm half way through Full Circle (I think) now.

I much prefer the writing to what we got from Christie Golden in homecoming, which was the last Voyager book I read. That book convinced me to give up on Voyager books entirely.

My problem is that half way through the story stopped entirely and moved to something else. I gather at this point events in another Star Trek book took place. I found it very distracting and it completely broke my enjoyment of the book as I tried to work out what I had missed. Once I did, things got better but I feel like I have to stop and go read a TNG or DS9 book to really appreciate the story. Is this normal for star trek novels or is it just this book?

I don't mind referencing to events in other books, but the break in the plot when it happens is annoying.
Old November 7 2013, 09:43 AM   #33
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Lynx wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind to see Kirsten Beyer as the author for a new series. My only objection is that I don't want it to take place in the Abramsverse.
It won't. Due to somethingorother (reports are contradictory), there aren't any novels set in the new movie continuity coming any time soon.
My biggest Trek disappointment

jazamul wrote: View Post
I hadn't picked up any of the latest voyager books by Kirsten Beyer, but this thread inspired me to give them a go. I'm half way through Full Circle (I think) now.

I much prefer the writing to what we got from Christie Golden in homecoming, which was the last Voyager book I read. That book convinced me to give up on Voyager books entirely.

My problem is that half way through the story stopped entirely and moved to something else. I gather at this point events in another Star Trek book took place. I found it very distracting and it completely broke my enjoyment of the book as I tried to work out what I had missed. Once I did, things got better but I feel like I have to stop and go read a TNG or DS9 book to really appreciate the story. Is this normal for star trek novels or is it just this book?

I don't mind referencing to events in other books, but the break in the plot when it happens is annoying.
All the relaunch books suddenly CONVERGED and were smushed together and you were against your will reading all about Will Riker (gag) and his stupid Titan and all kinds of other people who you would have never heard of unless you had been following every bit of treklit for the last 7 or so years. It sucked.

I haven't got the patience for that. I read DS9 and VOY but against my will I was forced to read TNG and who knows what else while reading the latest VOY books.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 01:51 AM   #34
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

Yeah I agree I dislike that they are all intertwined now. I prefer them as standalones.

I'm reading Jeri Taylor's VOY book "Pathways" now. I'm only about halfway through. I like that it takes place in the original timeline with the whole crew, but there are way too many chapters about Chakotay for my liking.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2013, 02:14 AM   #35
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I thought you were a J/C fan?

I enjoyed Pathways, even the characters I'm not that fond of had good stories. I particularly liked 7's which as I recall went
something like..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old November 8 2013, 04:03 AM   #36
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

I am a J/C fan. But I prefer when they are together. Not as interested on rehashing Chakotay's backstory. Eh, maybe that section seemed longer than it actually was? But that has nothing to do with my shipping of him with Janeway. I was incredibly happy with how their relationship evolved in FC and The Eternal Tide.

I am enjoying the book though! I didn't mean anything negative about it.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Old January 20 2014, 12:25 AM   #37
Galekarens
Commander

Excerpt for forthcoming (1/28/14) Voyager novel Protectors now posted on Simon/Schuster site fyi: http://books.simonandschuster.com/St...738543/excerpt

Last edited by Galekarens; January 20 2014 at 12:47 AM.
Galekarens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 12:40 AM   #38
Sophronisba
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm reading Jeri Taylor's VOY book "Pathways" now. I'm only about halfway through. I like that it takes place in the original timeline with the whole crew, but there are way too many chapters about Chakotay for my liking.
I liked Pathways, although I really preferred Mosaic (Taylor's book about Janeway's backstory). But the framing story in Pathways is better.
Sophronisba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 06:59 PM   #39
black_dranzer
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to black_dranzer

Sophronisba wrote: View Post
I liked Pathways, although I really preferred Mosaic (Taylor's book about Janeway's backstory). But the framing story in Pathways is better.
Yeah I also preferred Mosaic (especially the audiobook since it had Kate Mulgrew reading it!) - although I did enjoy Pathways as well, some of Janeway's back-story was just heartbreaking!
Old January 20 2014, 10:19 PM   #40
roseake
Lieutenant Junior Grade

View roseake's Twitter Profile

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I am a J/C fan. But I prefer when they are together. Not as interested on rehashing Chakotay's backstory. Eh, maybe that section seemed longer than it actually was? But that has nothing to do with my shipping of him with Janeway. I was incredibly happy with how their relationship evolved in FC and The Eternal Tide.
I was extremely happy with Ms Beyer's development of J/C in her novels! I was initially worried about it all becoming rather OOC but she doesn't seem to have done that with any of the characters (at least none that has been glaringly obvious).
I hope we get some more of Tuvok in the new books, we only saw him for a short while in FC.

Galekarens wrote: View Post
Excerpt for forthcoming (1/28/14) Voyager novel Protectors now posted on Simon/Schuster site fyi: http://books.simonandschuster.com/St...738543/excerpt
Has anyone else read the excerpt? What do you think of how this book seems to be set up?
roseake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 11:15 PM   #41
Galekarens
Commander

I read if, of course, lol. Looks like the story gets right into the angsty times promised in the book summary, and the somewhat good feelings at the end of The Eternal Tide are pretty much gone, it seems. IMO J/C fans be prepared to getting back to some maybe hard times for our favorite couple, oh well!
Old January 20 2014, 11:37 PM   #42
teacake
Fleet Admiral

wth, seriously?!! Enough with the angst, we're Starfleet officers!

I'm sad, why does Treklit think emotion = angst?

Still of course I will read it. I'll preorder it from bookdepository today. 11.47, huh..

Though if Janeway dies again I will commit bookicide.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; January 20 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Old January 20 2014, 11:45 PM   #43
Galekarens
Commander

teacake wrote: View Post

I'm sad, why does Treklit thing emotion = angst?

Still of course I will read it. I'll preorder it from bookdepository today. 11.47, huh..

I can't even IMAGINE in my worst nightmares someone w/be dumb enough to consider killing KJ again, yikes (so it better not happen, lol, and also not any other original Voyager characters, either)! PS author KB has revealed that the NEXT Voyager book will be called Acts of Contrition (well for now at least), so there ya go, maybe a year from now we'll be waiting anxiously for that one.
Old January 20 2014, 11:50 PM   #44
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post

I'm sad, why does Treklit thing emotion = angst?

Ok, she isn't allowed to die again. I'll cry.

I pre-ordered the e-book for about 8.99 here.

The J/C part of me is especially excited since this will be the first full novel where they are actually together. Even if there is angst, that's okay...just don't break them up please!! It took Janeway dying and four books for them to finally get together properly!

Either way, I'm happy for a new Voyager book!

black_dranzer wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
Yeah I also preferred Mosaic (especially the audiobook since it had Kate Mulgrew reading it!) - although I did enjoy Pathways as well, some of Janeway's back-story was just heartbreaking!
BTW, I finally finished "Pathways" and it was pretty good. I must have written that post while I was reading the Chakotay backstory.

Dead Lazlo's Place

Last edited by Kathy Kringle; January 21 2014 at 12:01 AM.
Old January 21 2014, 12:07 AM   #45
Lynx
Rear Admiral

I have to disagree here. I find the framing story in "Mosaic" much better and more exciting. The one in "Pathways" was a bit thin and too predictable.

As for the background stories of the crew members in both "Mosaic" and "Pathways", I like them but sometimes I find Mrs. Taylor's way of sugar-coating everything a bit annoying. B'Elanna's and Tom's attitude problems are never fully explained. B'Elanna's problems at the Academy is waived away with hints that it had something to do with missing her father and Tom's bad relationship to his father was never explained. All that just doesn't fit with how they were in the series. The same for Janeway who were a bit wimpy in "Mosaic". There must have been a radical change there during the time between her post at the Bonestell and her time on Voyager.

Still, I like all the background stories, especially Chakotay's, Neelix's, Kes's and Paris's stories.

Welcome to visit the Kes Website at:http://www.lynx677.tk/
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote