Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old January 17 2014, 10:01 AM   #121
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

Re: Mars One - Unethical?

A good chance to return to the thread's original topic: ESA published a video, made from hig resolution photos taken by Mars Express during the last 10 years that shows a flight through Mars' former river valley Kasei Valles.
http://www.esa.int/spaceinvideos/Vid...waters_of_Mars

I'd love to go there one day and dig a bit in the sand, hunting for traces of life.
Old January 19 2014, 11:45 PM   #122
publiusr
Commodore

Rhubarbodendron wrote: View Post

Publiusr, thank you for this excellent analysis. Could you please explain to me the role New Orleans played in WW2? Apart from it being a town mostly inhabited by people of French and African origin, having been a major Mississippi-harbour and cotton market in the 1800s and having excellent cuisine and music I've never heard anything of that town until that flood they suffered about a decade ago. It might be wiser, though, to take that to PM as it'd lead the thread very far off-topic.
Not at all, subsidence is caused by drilling for oil, but also for water. The plow is still far worse than the drill head, in that growing fuel needs large 2 dimensional surface impact, as opposed to drilling a hole the size of your fist. I even remember folks talking about turning oil into food, since we are all hydrocarbons after all.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 08:34 AM   #123
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I agree that drilling for oil (particularly fracking) and water can often lead to subsidence which can have catastrophic effects. Yet, oil is a very dangerous substance, biochemically. One drop of oil (0.01 ml approximately) can poison 1m³ of water to render it undrinkable. Or in other figures: at a dilution of 1:100,000,000 mineral oil is still poisonous to humans and other animals.
When drilling for oil, you can't always avoid a spill and the consequences can be terrible.

Still, could you please explein the importance of New Orleans in the last World war you mentioned? I was not aware of any importance of that city. (No offense meant to any inhabitants of New Orleans!)
Old January 20 2014, 09:46 AM   #124
gturner
Admiral

Don't fall for it Publiusr. There's only one reason an Austrian would want to know secrets about the importance of a seaboard American city in WW-2, and that's probably so she can redirect U-boats via some sort of time portal. Loose lips sink ships. I suspect that Ba'al has some handiwork in it, traveling back to our time to figure out how to defeat SG-1 and conquer Earth, similar to his attempt to rewrite history by intercepting the US merchantman that transported the Egyptian Stargate from Europe to America during the height of the U-boat war. Thankfully that attempt was stopped by Colonel Mitchell, but Ba'al had many clones and one of them could have travelled to Austria and be wining and dining Rhubarbodendron and pushing her to get you to reveal things that were at one time highly classified. To us it no longer matters except as something of interest, but Ba'al could use the information to tactical or strategic advantage.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2014, 11:32 AM   #125
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

I'm no Ösie! I'm Bavarian *sulks*

And Tanith is so much more handsome than Ba'al!

Last edited by Rhubarbodendron; January 21 2014 at 08:16 PM.
Rhubarbodendron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2014, 05:34 AM   #126
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Also if this is independent of government they could do all kinds of things that would be illegal...
Old February 5 2014, 09:01 AM   #127
Rhubarbodendron
Commodore

No offense, but do government-controlled agencies always stick to what's legal?
Just remember those anthrax-spur infested letters that got sent to officials shortly after 9/11. A few months later it was found out that they had gotten sent by the boss of a government-run lab for biological weapons who was pissed that he had gotten a budget cut.

(No offense to Americans meant! My point is that no control whatsoever can guarantee correctness and legality. There's always the human factor and every system can be abused. It's just a matter of what we over here call "criminal energy". I'm not sure if such an expression exists in English but I think you get what it's meant to express.)
Old February 7 2014, 01:37 AM   #128
Shaka Zulu
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Sounds like an updated version of this classic.

Is there a monkey in it?

No, thank God. And that 'classic' is probably crap anyway.

In fact, this novel would make for a great movie (big screen or TV).
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2014, 01:49 AM   #129
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
Sounds like an updated version of this classic.

Is there a monkey in it?

In fact, this novel would make for a great movie (big screen or TV).
Nope, that novel's probably crap anyway. I'll take the classic.
Old February 7 2014, 07:22 AM   #130
gturner
Admiral

The Martian is a great and gripping read. One of the best sci-fi books I've read in ages. It's very fast paced and a lot of it is hysterically funny.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2014, 10:31 PM   #131
publiusr
Commodore

In other news Musk is finally talking more about MCT
http://nextbigfuture.com/2014/02/elo...uperlarge.html

So not one way after all.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 05:28 PM   #132
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Anything Elon Musk says needs to be taken with a Saturn V rocket full of salt.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2014, 06:48 PM   #133
2takesfrakes
Fleet Captain

Mars One, "if I may... I'll tell you the problem with the scientific power that you're using here, it didn't require any discipline to attain it. You read what others had done and you took the next step. You didn't earn the knowledge for yourselves, so you don't take any responsibility for it. You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could, and before you even knew what you had ... your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should."
Old February 10 2014, 07:54 PM   #134
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Oh don't worry. Mars One most likely will never launch anything manned, nevermind anything that leaves earth orbit.
Old February 12 2014, 01:03 AM   #135
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
If you've never seen Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964), you might want to give it a look. Aside from the scientific inaccuracies regarding conditions on the Martian surface, it's a thoughtful, intelligent, well-written science fiction film, with pretty good FX for the time.

And the monkey is cute.