Kirk, the PD, "The Omega Glory" and "Miri"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Dale Sams, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As for the "silliness" of the events at the end...well, it is a crazy universe. And they have run into parallel worlds and what we saw in Miri with the planet continents being the same.

2. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Just as it meant Whites only when the original Constitution was drafted. But as I said upthread since that isn't what the document actually says it is highly hypocritical to proclaim it means one thing while not actually practicing it.

And fact is the Yangs were completely free to ignore what Kirk says to them after he left. I've no doubt that many would still argue the document's meaning despite what they had learned. That is still happening today as throughout history as individuals and groups parse historical texts to get the meaning they want rather than what is actually there. People are still arguing over what America's founding fathers intended. Same with the Bible and the Qoran. But the world of the 18th century isn't much like the world of today except in basic human nature. Some "self-evident truths" of the past simply aren't "self-evident" anymore.

3. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One's a Canadian and the other is a God stuck on the edge of the galaxy. Not exactly guys I want to take American Civics lessons from!! ;)

I don't even think we can say, "Maybe at some point the Supreme Court ruled the Constitution applies to all people the soldiers and government of the US interacts with." Hasn't WW3 happened by now?

4. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Sometimes you can see things more clearly when you're seeing it from a different angle. Maybe we can see a forest while you only see a few trees.

5. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

For an episode that's supposed to be a piece of crap, it sure is sparking some heated debate nearly 50 years later....

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I'm a white American male whose family is from the sticks and I still think the U.S. Constitution is a meaningless piece of paper if its ideas aren't applied to everyone. :techman:

I probably have Roddenberry to thank for that worldview, because I watched a lot of Star Trek in my formative years.

7. drychlick

drychlick Captain Captain

All Kirk did was shown them what they are fighting for ! the constitution is for every 1 and it nice to know 500 year after it was made at least 1 caption from Iowa still believe in it! and remember it:)