Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 13 2014, 07:16 PM   #211
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: MYTHBUSTERS 10th Anniversary Season

So wait, on that Moonshiners show they aren't even making actual liquor? And Discovery made Mythbusters devote an entire episode to it?? WTF.

While they're not my favorite, I can at least understand crossovers with popular or long-running shows like Walking Dead or Deadliest Catch (and I admit I never tire of watching them bust movie myths), but this was just ridiculous. And it was obvious the MB crew had to really stretch to find anything interesting to test.

As to the Dangerous Toys special, it was a bit more watchable (and a better use of Adam and Jamie than their last show with the Rube Goldberg machines), but the final battle ended up being pretty weak and anticlimactic, and not really worth all the time and energy devoted toward it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 07:26 PM   #212
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^It seem after 10 years TV execs have figured out that reality TV is boring, so they've decided to start making stuff up. It's the latest thing, I think they're calling it "fiction". Why nobody thought of it before is mind boggling!
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:01 PM   #213
Christopher
Writer

davejames wrote: View Post
So wait, on that Moonshiners show they aren't even making actual liquor?
I don't know about that -- it could be that they got a license like the Mythbusters did. The point is that they're not actually doing anything against the law, just pretending to do so. Which, really, should be obvious -- only a fool would think that people actually engaged in illegal activities would show their faces unblurred on camera. But then, that probably sums up the show's target audience. On a network that used to be about science and education. I may cry.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:26 PM   #214
Forbin
Admiral

I DO cry.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 08:50 PM   #215
Redfern
Commodore

Reverend wrote: View Post
... we go.
Mmmm...

Just lie back and think of Alderaan.

What?

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 10:25 AM   #216
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Just got around to watching the Star Wars special. I thought that was a lot of fun not just because we know those scenes from the movies but they were interesting myths as well. Besides that, the rigging of the different tests was a lot of fun as well and I about died when Jaime was done up like Luke. Good stuff.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 03:22 AM   #217
Christopher
Writer

Movie car myths this week.

Pane of glass: Kind of an interesting rig to test the potential for injury to the glass carriers, but I wonder if Adam's rig was maybe too susceptible to "bleeding." For one thing, it seemed to be wrapped in pretty thin plastic; how does that compare to human skin strength? For another, maybe they should've wrapped it in fabric to simulate clothes.

Plus, another part of the myth I wish they'd addressed: Would anyone really carry a bare pane of glass across a street that way? Aren't large panes usually put in some kind of wooden framework for transport?

SUV vs. RPG: I think this one was badly handled all around. First off, the movie clip didn't show the RPG hitting the SUV head-on; it looked like the vapor trail terminated on the pavement right under the SUV, that the idea was that the explosion went off underneath it and pushed it into the air. Now, I really don't think that would've worked any better, but at least they should've tested it that way, since that was the myth.

Second, they seem to have forgotten what "replicate the result" means. It doesn't mean showing us how Hollywood faked the effect. It means trying to determine what it would take in real-world terms to achieve the effect that was shown. So they should've tried to figure out what kind of explosion, if any, could really flip an SUV. I'm just really disappointed in the M7 trio this week. (The fact that they're doing faux-Mythbusters car commercials during the show doesn't help.)

Truck vs. cars: Now, this made up for the disappointment. I love it when they bring out their giant dump truck. I'm impressed by how much progress it made smashing through the cars without modification (beyond the super-bumper), although I wonder how its 30,000-pound weight/momentum would compare to an 18-wheeler. (Googles it) Hmm, apparently it's close to the weight of a semi cab plus an empty trailer, but a loaded 18-wheeler can legally be as much as 80,000 lb. So the truck doing the smashing could theoretically have a momentum more than twice of this one's. That would probably have let it make more headway.

Still, it would've been nothing like the results they got with the cowcatcher. That was amazing. It was like pulling down a zipper. The lines of cars flew out like they were chained together. It really shows the power of a simple wedge. That is one of the most impressive things they've ever done. I'm a little disappointed that they spoiled it in the season previews, though I can understand why they highlighted it.

Oh, and I noticed they've installed a roof hatch in the dump truck's cab. So they no longer have to lift the rear hopper (or whatever that's called -- bucket?) to get into the cab. Good idea.

Old January 19 2014, 03:39 AM   #218
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

The "zipper line" of cars with the truck and cow-catcher was a beautiful sight. I agree, one of the coolest and best things they've done.

I agree, Christopher, on their test with the panes of glass. Tempered glass is pretty darn "hard" to cut yourself with any more than maybe be a surface scratch. More reliable human analogues in clothes probably would have bore this out that it was fairly "safe" to some degree. I'm sure you'd get scratched up pretty good, sure, but overall I think one would weather it pretty good.

The RPG myth didn't bring much to the table. I think most of us have watched this show enough/long enough to know how explosions work especially when versing movie scenes with reality. Which probably is why they didn't "duplicate the result" but just "made it look good." There's been one or two other instances over the years where a "Hollywood Myth" result test was done by simply showing the special effects behind it. The Jr. Team didn't disappoint me in that regard it seemed to be in line with what the show has more or less always done when it comes to some of the more extreme myths.

But, really, if they were going to duplicate/test a Fast and Furious franchise myth (which, granted, the RPG vs. SUV stunt is a genre one not specific to the F&F franchise, but it's the clip they used to present the stunt) they should have gone with the bank vault pull from the fifth movie. Which, yeah, we all know is ridiculous and Reel Physics already did the math on but it'd still be fun to see it tested.

Sigh. Maybe some day.
Old January 19 2014, 04:08 AM   #219
Christopher
Writer

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The RPG myth didn't bring much to the table. I think most of us have watched this show enough/long enough to know how explosions work especially when versing movie scenes with reality. Which probably is why they didn't "duplicate the result" but just "made it look good." There's been one or two other instances over the years where a "Hollywood Myth" result test was done by simply showing the special effects behind it.
But in those cases, that was just the final bit after they'd tried to replicate the result for real and proven it simply couldn't be done. Here, they just skipped that step. They should've demonstrated that an explosion powerful enough to flip a car would more likely tear it apart instead. That would've been the most conclusive way of busting the myth. And it would've let them do more and bigger explosions, so it serves both the science and the spectacle. They just got lazy here.

Old January 19 2014, 08:26 AM   #220
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I was also disappointed that they didn't try to fire the RPG down and under the front of the SUV as shown in the movie clip.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 01:38 AM   #221
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
I was also disappointed that they didn't try to fire the RPG down and under the front of the SUV as shown in the movie clip.
I'm not sure this would even be possible with an RPG.

We're not talking about guided missile here. Allowing for the basic laws of physics, they basically fly and strike the target at the height it was fired.

to get it go off under the SUV would require it to be pretty much fired at the same height short of firing it angled down to strike the ground just under the front of the vehicle and detonate.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 01:57 AM   #222
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Firing the RPG under the car, like shown in the clip, wouldn't have gotten any better or different results. Explosions "don't work like that", in essence. There's been countless times over the years they've tried to make things move by setting up explosions near them and it doesn't happen. Explosions consume things, not move them. Aside from maybe light objects that are probably within the blasting-power of the explosion.
Old January 20 2014, 02:12 AM   #223
Christopher
Writer

^Even so, it bothers me that they misinterpreted the myth. The clip clearly showed the RPG detonating under the SUV, not going into its front grille. So what they tested was not the myth from the movie. Which makes me wonder about their powers of observation. It's not the first time I've felt the M7 trio has done inadequate work or fallen short of applying due diligence, but this seems even more careless.

Old January 20 2014, 02:21 AM   #224
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Eh, I don't think they were trying to replicate that specific scene just the "movie trope" of an RPG exploding causing a heavy vehicle to flip. The clip they used was probably the "best" they could get to demonstrate the idea without resorting to the animations. Afterall, they never mentioned FF6 when setting up the "myth" just mentioned the movie trope of vehicles flipping when hit (or near) an exploding RPG.

But, I agree, there's plenty of times the Jr. team makes little errors like this. I've not watched the Aftershow for the episode maybe their reasoning is addressed there?
Old January 20 2014, 02:29 AM   #225
Christopher
Writer

^But that leaves an unanswered question for the viewer, namely: Are there any movies that do show an RPG hitting the front of an SUV and making it flip? In my experience, movie and TV scenes built around car-flip stunts usually have the explosion going off underneath the car, not within it, because even movie physics has some logic to it. I've seen one or two cases where an explosion went off under a car and made it flip, and the occupants of the car then climbed out, dazed but alive. (I'd love to see the Mythbusters test that one!) I think there's an example of that in the beginning of Iron Man, though I could be wrong.

So I'm just not convinced that the myth is what they said it was. My impression is that the clip they used (I though it was Fast Five, not 6) was closer to being the rule than the exception.