Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 18 2014, 06:12 PM   #16
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: Who wants to see a TAS Remasered project?

TAS is fine as it is. The truth is, it's mostly awful (even though I still love it!) and no amount of extra frames of animation or 3D CGI will fix that. Put the effort into a new animated series instead.
Old January 18 2014, 06:25 PM   #17
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I'd even like to see an episode re-voiced by the actors involved with the current films. *ducks*
Suffice to say I'd go ballistic over this.
Old January 18 2014, 06:27 PM   #18
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'd even like to see an episode re-voiced by the actors involved with the current films. *ducks*
Why? What point would it actually serve? Doing something along those lines doesn't somehow overwrite the original (which I love). Just something fun to experiment with.
Old January 18 2014, 07:16 PM   #19
Warped9
Admiral

Why? What point would it actually serve? Doing something along those lines doesn't somehow overwrite the original (which I love). Just something fun to experiment with.
If you can't see how offensive that would be then I can't help you. It's one thing to remake a work as in making a new version, but doing something revisionist to the actual original work is insulting and disrespectful to the original creators.

I can appreciate TNG-R because the end result is something that looks like it could have looked under the best of circumstances. TOS-R doesn't look like anything TOS could have done even under the best of circumstances.

So revisioning the original TAS would piss me off.
Old January 18 2014, 07:25 PM   #20
BillJ
Admiral

With new animation and new voice work, it would be its own thing. Honestly, I can't think of a higher compliment to someone's work than wanting to remake it for new audiences to consume. I never understood the desire to treat a work as some religious relic that can never be changed/updated. New generations are more likely to explore an older work through newer re workings than locking the originals away.
Old January 18 2014, 07:42 PM   #21
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I think they're really limited by the audio..the voices just do not have the extra energy needed to fit a newly rendered animated project.

RAMA
Old January 18 2014, 07:44 PM   #22
RAMA
Vice Admiral

If you can't see how offensive that would be then I can't help you. It's one thing to remake a work as in making a new version, but doing something revisionist to the actual original work is insulting and disrespectful to the original creators.

I can appreciate TNG-R because the end result is something that looks like it could have looked under the best of circumstances. TOS-R doesn't look like anything TOS could have done even under the best of circumstances.

Well it looks a lot better than TOS originally did. It's not as good as they can do it now, but that wasn't really the goal, was it?

RAMA
Old January 18 2014, 08:10 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

Well it looks a lot better than TOS originally did. It's not as good as they can do it now, but that wasn't really the goal, was it?

RAMA
Whether or not the effects of TOS-R were "better" or not is in the eye of the beholder. But I'm not upset that they made the attempt. Sometimes it worked and looked good, other times not so much.
Old January 18 2014, 08:15 PM   #24
Marlonius
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I like the animated series more than I expected to and would enjoy a remastering or even mild revisionism.

It would be nice to see it with better music and to have some of the animation errors fixed at the least.

Ideally, they'd add a bit of colour to the characters as they were always far too pale.
Marlonius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 08:50 PM   #25
RAMA
Vice Admiral

RAMA wrote: View Post

RAMA
Whether or not the effects of TOS-R were "better" or not is in the eye of the beholder. But I'm not upset that they made the attempt. Sometimes it worked and looked good, other times not so much.

Actually it's not, they are clearly better than what they did in the 1960s. As for whether it was "state of the art" that's another matter entirely. You may prefer the poorer effects of the 60s, but that doesn't make them better.

RAMA
Old January 18 2014, 09:26 PM   #26
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

Whether the new TOS-R effects are better than the original TOS effects isn't a factual matter. If the assertion was that they aren't as grainy, well, that might get some traction as an objective statement.

Anyway, the subject here is not that, but rather TAS, TAS remastering, TAS redux, TAS-SE, etc., yes?

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
spockboy wrote: View Post
The only way this could REALLY work would be to obtain the "voices only" track from Filmation, use the now released original music, and THEN have your "balls to the wall" animation with it. That is the only approach that would interest me (as an animator)
What release of the original music? There's been no release of the TAS music, AFAIK.
I think he means TOS music--re-scoring the TAS episodes with TOS musical cues. (That would interesting; TOS music is almost a Trek character all by itself.)
Ah, I can see that spockboy might have meant that.

Well, I can say flat-out that I would never pay money to own such a thing. Now, I might be interested in hearing a demo reel of it. Heck, I might be interested in watching a demo clip with new animation, remixed soundtrack, etc. But pay money for any of that??? No.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?), I'd seriously doubt that CBS would allow unsolicited demo clips to be posted. My belief is that using portions of the original audio tracks in such a project and posting the results online without first receiving permission would constitute a copyright violation.

As someone (edit - RAMA) has already said, the voice direction itself does not generally lend itself well to these sorts of "improvements".

Also, I respectfully submit that people who think that such special editions of TAS are feasible are seriously underestimating the level of work that would be required to produce a watchable, entertaining, and attractive result.
Old January 18 2014, 09:55 PM   #27
Maurice
Vice Admiral

A few things.

Since some of the cast recorded their lines "on the go" at whatever studio was convenient, I doubt there was much "direction" at all. I've directed professional voice actors (from Janet Waldo to Billy West) in studio and there's an art to getting them "into the moment" so that they're ACTING and not just reading their lines. Even the pros get curiously flat if you don't work with them on this. Since the Trek cast weren't experienced voice actors anyway, it's no wonder their performances were often so meh, considering the circumstances.

We've discussed this before and there's some question as to if the voice tracks even still exist separate of being mixed with music and sound effects, so reusing any of the sound would potentially be very difficult.

re TOS-R type "improvements", "better" IS debatable, despite Rama's assertion otherwise. In a film everything must be seen in context. I could cut Star Wars VFX (with the color saturation turned off) into old Flash Gordon serials and while the effects themselves would arguably be of better quality, seen as a piece they would not fit with the surrounding period photography and stick out like a sore thumb, which is often the case in TOS-R. Is that "better"? You decide.
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; January 19 2014 at 02:11 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 12:28 AM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

Maurice wrote: View Post

re TOS-R typoe improvements, "better" IS debatable, despite Rama's assertion otherwise. In a film everything must be seen in context. I could cut Star Wars VFX (with the color saturation turned off) into old Flash Gordon serials and while the effects themselves would arguably be of better quality, seen as a piece they would not fit with the surrounding period photography and stick out like a sore thumb, which is often the case in TOS-R. Is that "better"? You decide.
I gotta be honest here, I don't find the remastered effects "better" than most of the original effects. The CGI models were "overlit" (they always looked like they had a spotlight bouncing off of them) and had a plastic look about them. Not to mention that some models simply were low-polygon, looking at the Klingon model from season three. Some models look like they belong in a video game.

I think they could do new TOS effects that do the originals justice and fit in with the live action elements, I just don't think that happened in TOS-R.
Old January 19 2014, 12:37 AM   #29
Warped9
Admiral

I think they could do new TOS effects that do the originals justice and fit in with the live action elements, I just don't think that happened in TOS-R.
Exactly.
Old January 19 2014, 02:12 AM   #30
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Oh, agreed, the TOS-R Klingon ship is a dog. It looks like crap in every single way.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote