Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 18 2014, 06:48 AM   #16
CrazyMatt
Commander

Re: Kirk, the PD, "The Omega Glory" and "Miri"

Like I said, it was a mess. And now nearly 50 years later some of us are trying to "unmess" it. Good luck with that!

Bob Justman said it best when talking about this episode... (paraphrasing) 'When we had a bad episode, it could almost always be traced back to a bad script.' I'll take it further myself, as it appears to moi that in this instance a bad script can be traced back to convoluted ideas.
Old January 18 2014, 07:33 AM   #17
Dale Sams
Fleet Captain

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
Like I said, it was a mess. And now nearly 50 years later some of us are trying to "unmess" it. Good luck with that!

Bob Justman said it best when talking about this episode... (paraphrasing) 'When we had a bad episode, it could almost always be traced back to a bad script.' I'll take it further myself, as it appears to moi that in this instance a bad script can be traced back to convoluted ideas.
I'll just mention it here rather than give it it's own 'lite on content thread'...

"Miri": They run across a planet that looks just like Earth....and it's never mentioned again. WTH was that all about?? It's set up in the teaser as being the plot of the episode and is never mentioned again. Bizarre.

(Goes to Memory Alpha) Ha! I see that Christopher Bennett came up with an explanation!
Dale Sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 08:05 AM   #18
CrazyMatt
Commander

In a way, it was a major cop out to have "another Earth" (albeit a cloudless one!) in "Miri." Very similar to Earth, that I could by. Another Earth, that defies the senses.
Old January 18 2014, 09:51 AM   #19
Botany Bay
Commodore

View Botany Bay's Twitter Profile

CrazyMatt wrote: View Post
According to what I've read, "The Omega Glory" was simply a mess from day one (i.e., from the time "The Cage" was selected to be the first pilot). I believe It may be the least distinguished episode of the second season.

I strongly suspect the only reasons this dog actually got produced was that it was written by "the Great Bird" and the production team (lead by John Meredith Lucas by that time) must have desperately needed a shootable script to close out the second season commitment to NBC. Thus, it was produced, no matter how convoluted the story was.

Bob Justman is on record several places saying he disliked the episode.

Considering the story existed all through his tenure and yet was never produced on his watch--even when they were desperate for scripts in the first season--I think we can surmise that Gene Coon (who by the way actually invented the Prime Directive) was no fan of it either. Somehow I doubt if he had stayed on as producer until the series was cancelled if this episode ever would have been produced at all.
Roddenberry thought this episode was worthy of an Emmy and submitted it for a writing award from memory.

I think Lucas may have been fired by this point?
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Botany Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 05:45 PM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

Lucas wasn't fired. He was contracted to produce the rest of the second season after Coon left, and he did so. Roddenberry took on the producing chores for the last episode, "Assignment: Earth," because it was a backdoor pilot.

Presumably, Roddenberry submitted "The Omega Glory" for Emmy consideration because it was the one episode that season in which he had sole writing credit.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 07:31 PM   #21
CrazyMatt
Commander

Botany Bay wrote: View Post
Roddenberry thought this episode was worthy of an Emmy and submitted it for a writing award from memory.

I think Lucas may have been fired by this point?
Well, GR have an ego... He also happened to be the episode writer's best friend.

John Meredith Lucas did produce this episode, but he did not produce the subsequent final episode of the second season, "Assignment: Earth." GR produced that episode as he was trying to use it to sell a spin-off from it.
Old January 18 2014, 10:09 PM   #22
Botany Bay
Commodore

Thankyou guys, I stand corrected, we will give Lucas the "honour" of being Omega Glory's producer

I've always had this suspicion in the back of my mind that Roddenberry may have parted ways with Lucas after Ultimate Computer in order to get Omega Glory (everyone else thought it was terrible, but he thought it was brilliant) and Assignment Earth (a way to possibly get himself employed the following season) made.

For what it's worth, I wish Lucas had done more episodes.
"Sometimes I get the feeling the only way we could achieve a STAR TREK segment on budget would be to have 60 minutes of Mr. Spock playing kazoo solo as Captain Kirk holds him in his arms while standing in a telephone booth."
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old January 18 2014, 11:51 PM   #23
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I love "The Omega Glory".
Old January 19 2014, 12:01 AM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

Nobody's perfect, BillJ.

Of course, if they were, they'd like "Genesis" and "Masks" like I do...

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 12:03 AM   #25
The Old Mixer
Vice Admiral

I think it's decent, ham & cheesy fun, what with Woodward's scenery chewing and Shatner reciting the preamble....It's not a boring episode.
Old January 19 2014, 12:55 AM   #26
CrazyMatt
Commander

Harvey wrote: View Post
Lucas wasn't fired. He was contracted to produce the rest of the second season after Coon left, and he did so. Roddenberry took on the producing chores for the last episode, "Assignment: Earth," because it was a backdoor pilot.

Presumably, Roddenberry submitted "The Omega Glory" for Emmy consideration because it was the one episode that season in which he had sole writing credit.
Sorry if I keep echoing your posts. You are obviously quicker on the draw!
Old January 19 2014, 04:41 AM   #27
Warped9
Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
I love "The Omega Glory".
I wouldn't say love, but I do like it.
Old January 19 2014, 01:14 PM   #28
Botany Bay
Commodore

Looking forward to seeing what kind of score The Omega Glory pulls on our weekly episode ratings once we get up to it. Opinion seems divided on the TOS forum, as it was at Desilu.

Roddenberry not only thought it was an Emmy-winner, he also let it be the only TOS episode to get the View-Master treatment. But on the other hand I recall a story about one of the editing team almost coming to blows with Shatner after the editor complained to him about the quality of the episode, and some of Shatner's acting in it.

The great man sure gives it his all here :
Bob Justman, 1967.
Old January 19 2014, 01:32 PM   #29
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

I love that speech, especially:

one named Kirk wrote:
"They must apply to everyone, or they mean nothing!"
Old January 19 2014, 03:05 PM   #30
TREK_GOD_1
Fleet Captain

Dale Sams wrote: View Post

Kirk, for all his mouth service, blew the PD out of the f***ing water. All Tracey did was try and save a peaceful nation from savages. (putting aside any other motives he may have had).
Quite incorrect. The Khoms took the Yangs' land by force, and frankly, no peaceful nation has a practice of beheading enemies (recall how we were introduced to Cloud William).

By the way, this calls into question Kirk's actions in "The Apple". There Kirk says the PD only applies to a living, growing civilization. WHAT?? Well obviously the civilization on the Omega Glory planet isn't growing, in fact it's about to take a giant step backwards. But the PD very much applies.
The civilization on Omega was growing--until war, followed by oppression followed. Kirk used the "Holy Words" to restore the idea of fair play and justice, rather than the revenge and domination model employed by the Khoms.

edit: A couple of other things, I'm watching the episode now. The psychopathic and greed angle of Tracey is completely unnessecery. His character would have been much more compelling if he felt some grief over killing Galloway and if he had violated the PD out of a true desire to provide immortality to people and not out of greed.
It was not textbook greed. His obsession with immortality was a desperation-induced response to grief. He had the option to just stay on Omega and survive, but his focus on immortality tied into the rapid death suffered by the Exeter's crew.

Also, in Miri a couple of things.

1) So the landing parties are in the habit of beaming down without ascertaining if the dangerous germs are about? Smart Kirk, real smart.

2) Had this been a TNG episode, Picard would have held back the cure from the inhabitants because curing them would violate the PD.
Really? Picard and his crew were no angels, as in "The Best of Both Worlds" (part 2), Riker, et al, had no trouble destroying the Borg cube---full of life forms (yes, the Borg are still partially living beings)...just to save their own asses.

I guess in the TNG era, the end finally justifies the means.