Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 16 2014, 09:56 PM   #16
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Re: Why are Trekkies so Hateful of Star Trek?

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Well, it's nowhere near as good because your memories have brought it back to you more fondly, on a wave of nostalgia.
Dunno if that's operative so much these days. We live in an age where it's far easier to compare the New Thing with the Old Thing side-by-side in the cold light of day than it's ever been.
Old January 16 2014, 10:02 PM   #17
SpocksLeftEar
Lieutenant

milojthatch wrote: View Post
Then came JJ Trek and for the first time, I actually found something with the "Star Trek" name on it that I hated. I think (without writing a book or going into crazy detail), the main reason I hate JJ-Trek is due to the fact that literally nothing I loved about Star Trek pre-Abrams is found in these new films, or if it is, it's a poor man's version. I think the reason why I've become very vocal against it online really comes down to the fact that I want it to go away and never come back and the crazy hope that if enough fans feel the same way and are also vocal about it, the powers that be at Paramount might listen. I'm not dumb, I fully realize that the Star Trek I loved may never come back, but I also realize that if there is any kind of chance for that to happen somehow anyway, JJ-Trek has to go. I don't actually care that some actually like, or even love JJ-Trek, good for them. All I care about is that MY Star Trek comes back.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for these words. I
I began to think that I was the only one having SERIOUS problems with JJ-Trek. (and with JJ in general as well. "Lost" was years of wasted time for a cheap and stupid solution that explained nothing, "Alias" was simply confusing and annoying, and I really don't care for anything this man does - I'm not so much into Star Wars, but Ep IV to VI are okay, but when JJ-Star Wars premieres I will probably start to LOVE Ep I to III.
JJ-Trek was the one thing the world didn't need.
SpocksLeftEar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:08 PM   #18
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

SpocksLeftEar wrote: View Post
milojthatch wrote: View Post
Then came JJ Trek and for the first time, I actually found something with the "Star Trek" name on it that I hated. I think (without writing a book or going into crazy detail), the main reason I hate JJ-Trek is due to the fact that literally nothing I loved about Star Trek pre-Abrams is found in these new films, or if it is, it's a poor man's version. I think the reason why I've become very vocal against it online really comes down to the fact that I want it to go away and never come back and the crazy hope that if enough fans feel the same way and are also vocal about it, the powers that be at Paramount might listen. I'm not dumb, I fully realize that the Star Trek I loved may never come back, but I also realize that if there is any kind of chance for that to happen somehow anyway, JJ-Trek has to go. I don't actually care that some actually like, or even love JJ-Trek, good for them. All I care about is that MY Star Trek comes back.
I thank you from the bottom of my heart for these words. I
I began to think that I was the only one having SERIOUS problems with JJ-Trek. (and with JJ in general as well. "Lost" was years of wasted time for a cheap and stupid solution that explained nothing, "Alias" was simply confusing and annoying, and I really don't care for anything this man does - I'm not so much into Star Wars, but Ep IV to VI are okay, but when JJ-Star Wars premieres I will probably start to LOVE Ep I to III.
JJ-Trek was the one thing the world didn't need.
That's actually spot on about Abrams and Lost. Who didn't think, "What... is this going to be about his last fleeting thoughts as he's dying ala An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge by Ambrose Bierce?"...and from the very first episodes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/An_Occu...l_Creek_Bridge

Perhaps Abrams was the wrong person for the job especially since he admitted he wasn't a fan, not a bad thing to say, just an odd one that must have made the marketing people think, "What an undisciplined person to say such thing! How do we spin this positively now?".
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:10 PM   #19
Rarewolf
Rear Admiral

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
It's not just Trekkies who are like this. I've seen it a lot with Whovians and other fan groups.
After seeing it for years in Doctor Who fandom but never getting it, as much as l loathed Enterprise with a passion at the time, I was at least greatful for that - it allowed me to understand how fans could become bashers.

BigJake wrote: View Post
Dunno if that's operative so much these days. We live in an age where it's far easier to compare the New Thing with the Old Thing side-by-side in the cold light of day than it's ever been.
So in other words nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be.
Old January 16 2014, 10:11 PM   #20
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Perhaps Abrams was the wrong person for the job especially since he admitted he wasn't a fan, not a bad thing to say, just an odd one that must have made the marketing people think, "What an undisciplined person to say such thing! How do we spin this positively now?".
Nah, I'm betting the marketing people asked him to say stuff like that as much as possible. It effectively drove home the message that this wasn't going to be Trek made for those Dirty Trekker Nerds.
Old January 16 2014, 10:13 PM   #21
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Well, it's nowhere near as good because your memories have brought it back to you more fondly, on a wave of nostalgia.
It still passes through that lens of nostalgia. The cold light of day's got nothing on warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear.
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:24 PM   #22
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Rarewolf wrote: View Post
So in other words nostalgia isn't as good as it used to be.
A trend which one hopes will eventually dispel the Endless Vortex of Cynical Remakes.

J. Allen wrote:
It still passes through that lens of nostalgia. The cold light of day's got nothing on warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear.
I dunno. The vaguer form of warm, fuzzy nostalgia hasn't worked against NuTrek so far as I can see, far from it. NuTrek is designed very effectively and precisely to exploit it, and has done its job.

What's likelier to work against it is people actually being able to see and compare the real article of yesteryear, and not just fuzzy memories of it, with the new property. The warm, fuzzy feelings of yesteryear haven't done much to preserve my affections for TNG Trek; by contrast I was once wont to misremember TOS as being far cheesier and pulpier than it actually was. The ability to re-view it at will has blunted that tendency a lot for me and taught me respect for the old series I didn't previously have. Without that, NuTrek would probably have seemed a lot cleverer to me than it does.
Old January 16 2014, 10:25 PM   #23
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

Nah, I'm betting the marketing people asked him to say stuff like that as much as possible. It effectively drove home the message that this wasn't going to be Trek made for those Dirty Trekker Nerds.
Doubtful. However bad press is still press and can result in more ticket sales, but usually by saying something more controversial.

I say embrace your trekker nerdiness...especially since a good part of the intelligensia embraced Star Trek.

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 16 2014 at 10:27 PM. Reason: wretched spelling
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 10:26 PM   #24
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

I say embrance your trekker nerdiness...especially since a good part of the intelligensia embraced Star Trek.
Couldn't agree more.
Old January 16 2014, 10:42 PM   #25
Creepy Critter
Admiral

I agree with BigJake about the message being intended to attract people who wouldn't line up to see the nuTrek films, if they thought they were going to be like that earlier Trek that they specifically elected not to watch or that they lost interest in. I thought that was glaringly obvious.
Old January 16 2014, 10:46 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Well, it was important to get the message out that this new movie was not Just For Trekkies Only. Star Trek was never supposed to be this exclusive, elitist thing that was only accessible to the True Believers. Star Trek is for everybody, casual fans and lifelong Trekkies alike.

And me, I'm a Trekkie, not a Trekker. "Trekker" always sounds to me like a Trekkie putting on airs.
Old January 16 2014, 10:54 PM   #27
Crypto
Caped Trek Mod

A word to the wise...

The topic (as laid out by the OP) is broad enough to be inclusive of the entire Trek franchise, not just the new movies.

If you're (generic you) is only interested in bashing or praising JJ-Trek (or nu-Trek, or whatever), we have a forum specifically to discuss that portion of the franchise. THIS forum is not intended for discussions of a specific series, etc.
Old January 16 2014, 10:59 PM   #28
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

BoredShipCapt'n wrote: View Post
It's not just Trekkies who are like this. I've seen it a lot with Whovians and other fan groups.

Reminds me of that Nathaniel Hawthorne story "The Birth-Mark," where a scientist married a beautiful woman but became obsessed with the one flaw in her appearance and ultimately killed her in an attempt to remove the birthmark from her face.

There's Star Trek stuff I don't like, and I'll say so if someone mentions it, but I mostly try to forget it.
His wacky short stories, along with Thoreau's writings are why I became an English major. Scarlet is all ZZZs, but man, those stories are pretty cool.
Old January 16 2014, 11:03 PM   #29
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Well, it was important to get the message out that this new movie was not Just For Trekkies Only.
Robbiesan probably has a point about the specific methodology perhaps not being ideal
Old January 16 2014, 11:11 PM   #30
BigSnake
Rear Admiral

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
The topic (as laid out by the OP) is broad enough to be inclusive of the entire Trek franchise, not just the new movies.
I trust it's clear that any commentary above from me about the nature of nostalgia or the phenomenon of the elusive Yellow-Bellied Hater is just as applicable to any other form of Trek as it is to NuTrek, which of course simply comes up because the OP mentioned it specifically and because it happens to be currently relevant.