Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old January 6 2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Goentoer
Ensign

Superior Resources, The Future of Typhon Pact

Let's make a list:
  1. Newly reborn Data
  2. I/W Second Gen White Blue
  3. by products of Illegal Andorian Reproductives Research
  4. Transphasic Torpedo
  5. Perfected Quantum Slipstreams Drive
  6. Newly Reborn Katherine Janeway
  7. The soon to be destruction of Romulus
Well, I believe, just as the Warsaw Pact, The Typhoon Pact will cease to exist in such a near future
Goentoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 08:18 AM   #2
Goentoer
Ensign

Re: Superior Resources, The Future of Typhon Pact

It seems to me that, Starfleet (Section 31 in particular) will try the best of it's power to let such superior resources not to be implement openly in order to keep the Federation low profiles among their long time enemies and allies.
Goentoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 05:05 PM   #3
zarkon
Captain

#1/#2 - ask a computer to make a scenario capable of challenging data, bam, instant ai
#3 is nothing special
#4 I doubt the federation would even use given it's future tech only to be used against the borg
#6 is only a pro if your name happens to be tuvok
#7 is the force keeping the typhon pact peaceful
Old January 6 2014, 05:28 PM   #4
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

7. I'd argue that the Typhon Pact is more dependent upon Tzenketh and Tholia's survival than that of Romulus. And Tzenketh may have been counting upon - and manipulating - Romulus to serve as a counterweight to Tholia and maintain some degree of Pact-UFP balance as well.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6 2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Didn't the Federation share the transphasic technology once the shit hit the fan against the Borg?

To be honest, the slipstream drive is probably enough - the Tomed Incident started just because of the rumors the Federation had a new, more advanced warp-drive technology.
Old January 6 2014, 07:41 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Corran Horn wrote: View Post
To be honest, the slipstream drive is probably enough - the Tomed Incident started just because of the rumors the Federation had a new, more advanced warp-drive technology.
Good point; I'd forgotten about that. Having been reminded, it makes the reappearance of Gell Kamemor in the Romulan-Typhon Pact arc more significant. She's in the same position now as she was then, only this time she has the power to make policy and guide the Romulans and their neighbours through the instability.
Old January 8 2014, 02:39 AM   #7
Jeff
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I wouldnt be surprised if Kamemor decided to leave the Pact at some point
Old January 8 2014, 02:22 PM   #8
Markonian
Captain

Jeff wrote: View Post
I wouldnt be surprised if Kamemor decided to leave the Pact at some point
Quite likely, the Romulan Star Empire has significant econimic ties with the other Pact members. In a timeline where the Borg didn't invade the Federation in 2381, the Pact didn't exist but its members were trade partners. There influence was sufficient to talk the Gorn Hegemony out of going to war with the Klingon Empire. (Star Trek Online: The Needs of the Many)

Leaving the Pact might be akin to leaving the EU - a risky business. Keep in mind there's even a common TP currency.

If the Romulan Star Empire would secede from the Pact, it could prompt the Gorn Hegemony to do so likewise, given there growing friendship with the Federation and the alienation by the Breen Confederacy.
Old January 12 2014, 02:59 PM   #9
frkcd
Lieutenant Commander

Interesting discussion. I hope the statements by Riker and Akaar at the end of Peaceable Kingdoms related to Starfleet getting back to its mission of "seeking out new life and new civilizations" doesn't come at the expense of stories that expand upon and continue to deepen the familiar, interconnected Trek universe. I'd rather read more about the unfolding storyline and the interconnections amongst the intergalactic powers and the characters who represent them than "new life forms and new civilzations." Some of the latter is interesting, but I find the potential for conflict and change and surprise (what is the impact on the Typhon Pact, and the signatories to the Khitomer Accords, that the Romulan Praetor and the Gorn Imperator view the Federation, at least, as an entity they can "do business with"? If Romulus (and Remus?) is destroyed in 2387, how will that shake things up and affect the individual players in the Pact as well as those in the Accords?) in the universe we know to be more compelling.
frkcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 06:41 PM   #10
flandry84
Captain

Impractical I know,but wouldn't it be fun to see an integrated Pact crew out there exploring "where no one has gone before."?
Old January 16 2014, 07:10 PM   #11
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Impractical I know,but wouldn't it be fun to see an integrated Pact crew out there exploring "where no one has gone before."?
It would. I'd absolutely love to see something like that.

Who knows, maybe the Pact will respond to the Federation's recent shift toward more traditional pursuits by moving in a similar direction itself? It is the UFP's biggest competitor, after all. There's more to squaring off with someone than posturing with guns and slipstream engines. Maybe the Federation will once again influence the Pact members in a positive fashion by providing them an example to follow? One of the recent novels mentioned that the Romulans had resumed deep-space exploration in the far Beta Quadrant, and the Gorn might still be searching for new hatchery worlds...

Last edited by Deranged Nasat; January 16 2014 at 07:27 PM.
Deranged Nasat is offline   Reply With Quote