Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old January 15 2014, 06:40 AM   #16
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek -- Project: Potemkin "The Night the Stars Fell from the

*** SPOILERS ***

Some pluses:

1. T'Noshi was a well-conceived and well-played character.

2. The make-up was generally excellent.

3. The visual effects were very good.

4. The locations were beautiful, although the grass was often well groomed! (I'm assuming that the Georgia spruce line was meant to suggest that there were multiple planets represented in the Preserver Ark that crashed.)

5. The overall story was very well conceived, which is something that generally impresses me about Project: Potemkin.

Some minuses:

1. Plot hole: When their communicators are taken by the other tribe, the landing party should lose their translation abilities. Ordinarily in Star Trek, this might not be an issue, except that the point was explicitly made near the episode's beginning that communicators were necessary to speak with the natives. They get them back shortly, but, by having the ability to communicate when there should have been none and when there was an assumption of hostile intent, an understanding was arrived at too rapidly.

2. Given the proximity of the two tribes, and a variety of other reasons, I found the idea of an atomic war initiated by Sarat impossible to swallow. In fact, I don't even see that it's necessary to bring up the possibility of an atomic war. Conventional war should have served the purposes of the story well enough. Other factors, hypothetically such as the hardship of living in an environment to which they were maladapted and which offered few resources, could have been used to explain why technology remained at such a primitive level.

3. In contrast to how cold they said they were, a lot of the natives sure wore loose-fitting clothing!

In any case, I enjoyed watching it, and I am impressed by the efforts and achievement. I look forward to future releases.

Thanks!
Old January 15 2014, 07:48 AM   #17
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Maurice, here's why I like Vimeo over You Tube:

Both are captured at 480p, and yet the Vimeo looks a whole lot better to my untrained eye.

And Halliwell, thanks again!
My experience with YouTube is that initially the video looks like crap, as if they first do a real fast and lossy conversion just to get it up there, and then it gets better as they finish more refined conversions. I found this with the music videos I shoot at 1080p, and we've learned not to make them public until the processed image quality shapes up.

That said, I haven't uploaded anything 480i or 480p in a while so I don't know how good a job it does with those
—Glen Larson, 2010

Last edited by Maurice; January 15 2014 at 08:00 AM.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 07:50 AM   #18
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Actually, I had deliberately set the resolution to 480. I always slide it to the top when viewing an episode on line. Those screencaps are comparing apples to apples.

J. Alec West, who runs our Mirror/Download site, is setting up the episode for download in a variety of forms. It should be on-line for download in a couple of days.
Downloadable? Oh, goodie! I'm going to wait for that. I always enjoy films more when the whole thing is on my computer and I don't have to wonder if there will be a service interruption.
Barbreader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 04:31 PM   #19
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thank you, John (CorporalCaptain)!

Really nice of you to comment! I think you're right about that plot hole!

Glad you liked T'Noshi! Christin Woods is an excellent actress!

Regarding your question about the spoiler, I have no definitive answer. We see this happen, and we're each to draw our own conclusion about the motivation. Me, I think it's more of a combination of things that lead to Grigory's decision.

Thanks again for the feedback! Stay tuned for next month's release!
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 12:07 AM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Interesting! Thanks, Randy.
Old January 16 2014, 01:42 AM   #21
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Thank you all for your insightful comments and critiques. All viewpoints are very appreciated. CorporalCaptain (is that a M*A*S*H reference?), to answer your comments:

1. Yep, escaped me for that scene. You are correct.

2. I felt that six hundred years was long enough to build up to about a 1945 or so level, given that they had a pretty good supply of high tech do-dads to begin with, even if most were destroyed.

3. Other than specifying a vaguely military look for Sarat and Kalv, I don't think I indicated any type of clothing in the script. I could be wrong. I'll look sometime soon to see.

SPOILER: In re Grigory's motivation(s). Yes. Right on some of your suppositions, except your second sentence which says "Was it for r______?" and the "insect" analogy and Preserver intent. Those three issues never entered into my thinking. Sorry for the vagueness, but I'm too lazy at the moment to look up the spoiler code to hide my answers.

Best,

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 01:50 AM   #22
Maurice
Vice Admiral

The spoiler code is most easily done via the spoiler button (x mouthed smiley) in the Advanced editor.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 01:52 AM   #23
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We were shooting in 95-98 F weather with humidity around 70%, even though we weren't in direct sunlight. The scene where they are walking around as viewed from above was shot from an overlook built above the river. Unfortunately, there was a drought that year and the river was dry. The alien looking trees are just the roots and bases of the Black Cyprus.

So, no, we tried not to overdo the clothing for our all too Human cast members. Even so, there was one day (when we shot in the physical set of the T'Mek city) when we had three cast members practically faint, and we had to stop filming to perform first aid and rehydrate them immediately. Sunstroke is a serious matter in the Deep South.

Lastly, if you'd like to know more about the location we shot TNTSFFTS, I'd like to direct you to this site: http://www.exploresouthernhistory.co...umsprings.html. To show how severe the drought was, the bottom left picture is the usual view from the gazebo that served as Sarat's HQ. The top left picture is the area we shot ARCHWAY at. It's a wonderful location, and the staff was very nice!
Old January 16 2014, 02:22 AM   #24
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Thanks for the reply, Sir Rhosis.

Last edited by CorporalCaptain; January 16 2014 at 07:12 AM. Reason: minor oopsie
CorporalCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 02:56 AM   #25
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Old January 16 2014, 03:25 AM   #26
The Cutest of Borg
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post

I'm glad you enjoyed the episode! I certainly didn't consider falling stars when I chose the effects for that scene, but that's a great connection nonetheless. Maybe I'll retroactively use that explanation .

My Office Space spoof
The Cutest of Borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 04:08 AM   #27
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Ya know, I'm glad people like the above-mentioned scene, because I'm not sure I do. Not for the way it was acted, or directed, but I sometimes wonder if perhaps I could have found another way to show Grigory decide once and for all that he was not going to interfere.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 05:43 AM   #28
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

Thank you, John (CorporalCaptain)!

Really nice of you to comment! I think you're right about that plot hole!

Glad you liked T'Noshi! Christin Woods is an excellent actress!

Regarding your question about the spoiler, I have no definitive answer. We see this happen, and we're each to draw our own conclusion about the motivation. Me, I think it's more of a combination of things that lead to Grigory's decision.

Thanks again for the feedback! Stay tuned for next month's release!
Some thoughts on the ending...

"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 07:05 PM   #29
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

That's a very interesting point, Halliwell. It's true we don't know what setting that device was on when it was used. And you might be right about Sarat's fate and possibly future. You certainly are right about the nature of his character, though. Did you think the Odessa Steps homage was too much?
Old January 16 2014, 11:31 PM   #30
Shane Houston
Commander

View Shane Houston's Twitter Profile

That's a very interesting point, Halliwell. It's true we don't know what setting that device was on when it was used. And you might be right about Sarat's fate and possibly future. You certainly are right about the nature of his character, though. Did you think the Odessa Steps homage was too much?
Definitely not. It was intense and needed to be shown. I'm reminded of the tales we've heard over the years about the Cardassian's treatment of Bajoran women and children. Heard about it but not shown. I think in this case it needed to be shown just how far Sarats willing to go. As the audience, it took away all doubt that he is an evil character. That last shot, with the only remaining child, looking him in the eye as he fires his phaser was a pretty powerful moment.

Also, the homage helped the audience "feel", for the lack of a better term, T'Noshi's pain and her guilt when she returns to Potemkin. In a way that would have been lessened had we not gone through the experience with her. You go from not knowing her in the beginning of the film to knowing a great deal about her, making her request both logical and emotional at the same time. You know if it wasn't for her pain and guilt and the knowledge he killed children with Starfleet weapons, Gregory may not have done what he did.
"I excel at following the important ones." Admiral Kathryn Janeway answering Counselor Cambridge's questioning her whether she excels at following orders. Star Trek Voyager: Protectors by New York Times Bestselling authorKirsten "Mother F**ng" Beyer
Shane Houston is offline   Reply With Quote