Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 11 2014, 09:18 PM   #76
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: Dracula - NBC

Speaking of the sex scene, when Jonathan showed up on Lucy's doorstep for a spontaneous booty call, I found myself wondering--and not for the first time--about these people's living arrangements.

I mean, where was Lucy's family or servants? Would a respectable, unmarried woman in Victorian London have her own place where she could entertain gentlemen callers without a chaperone? And the same goes for Mina. Does she live with father or does she have her own bachelorette pad as well? Nobody seems to mind or notice when she goes out clubbing till dawn with Lucy or spends the night at Jonathan's place.

Granted, nobody really expects an excess of period authenticity from a steampunk Dracula show, but if often seems as though Lucy and Mina are being written as twenty-something singles in modern Manhattan rather than proper middle-class ingenues with undamaged reputations.

(Lady Jayne doesn't count since she's a decadent aristocrat . . . and hardy typical of Victorian womanhood!)
Old January 13 2014, 03:36 AM   #77
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Granted, nobody really expects an excess of period authenticity from a steampunk Dracula show, but if often seems as though Lucy and Mina are being written as twenty-something singles in modern Manhattan rather than proper middle-class ingenues with undamaged reputations.
I'm not sure why this bothers you since Dracula is pure fantasy made in modern times. I've read Stoker's Dracula and that version certainly wasn't some bizzaro combination of Nikola Tesla, Bruce Wayne and Wolverine (and his BFF wasn't Van Helsing).
Old January 13 2014, 03:59 AM   #78
Christopher
Writer

Yeah, it's weird that Van Helsing is, in many ways, the most malevolent character on the show.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 04:15 AM   #79
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's weird that Van Helsing is, in many ways, the most malevolent character on the show.
I would argue that Renfield is the most malevolent. He seems to encourage Dracula's darker nature. Maybe he's a statement about how lawyers bring out the worse in us. Van Helsing is just too passive/aggressive.
Old January 13 2014, 04:43 AM   #80
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Does anyone else feel they are jus rehashing every episode with a different shine? I dont feel like this show is actually forwarding its storyline but just regurgitating same thing over and over.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 04:57 AM   #81
Yminale
Rear Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Does anyone else feel they are jus rehashing every episode with a different shine? I dont feel like this show is actually forwarding its storyline but just regurgitating same thing over and over.
Huh?! What elements do you feel they are repeating over and over again? To me it feels like watching chess, move and counter-move by both Dracula and the Order. I feel thought that both the Mina and Van Helsing storylines are stagnant. The whole Mina/Dracula doesn't seem to be going anywhere either but that's the whole point. I also don't see how this show can last more than one season.
Old January 13 2014, 05:19 AM   #82
StarTrek1701
Fleet Captain

Yminale wrote: View Post
Huh?! What elements do you feel they are repeating over and over again? To me it feels like watching chess, move and counter-move by both Dracula and the Order. I feel thought that both the Mina and Van Helsing storylines are stagnant. The whole Mina/Dracula doesn't seem to be going anywhere either but that's the whole point. I also don't see how this show can last more than one season.
That;s the thing. Look at the biggest two new shows now - The Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow. They get the show going forward and gets the points across fast and accurate. Hawaii Five 0 as well, don' drag the sory forward but does so very ery fast. Dracula however is getting tedious.
StarTrek1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:27 AM   #83
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I'm not sure why this bothers you since Dracula is pure fantasy made in modern times. I've read Stoker's Dracula and that version certainly wasn't some bizzaro combination of Nikola Tesla, Bruce Wayne and Wolverine (and his BFF wasn't Van Helsing).
It doesn't so much bother me as puzzle me, in that I'm occasionally confused by the logistics and rules of this particular universe. Where exactly is Mina living and just how alternate is this version of Victorian London? They made a point in one episode of mentioning that it was "daring" for Mina to accept a ride with Grayson in his carriage, and yet nobody seems to find it scandalous when Mina and Lucy go out drinking all night and stagger back to her place in the wee hours of the morning? Vampires and mad scientists are one thing, but that strains my willing suspension of disbelief!

That this bears no relationship to Stoker doesn't matter, since it was obvious early on that this was never supposed to be a faithful adaptation of the original novel . . . .
Old January 13 2014, 05:30 AM   #84
Yminale
Rear Admiral

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
That;s the thing. Look at the biggest two new shows now - The Blacklist and Sleepy Hollow. They get the show going forward and gets the points across fast and accurate.
I don't know about the Blacklist but Sleepy Hollow basically throws stuff against the wall and see what sticks. It's internal mythology is coming together but it's still monster of the week.

Is Dracula tedious? For people who want instant gratification it probably is but I like the fact that it takes the time to set up the pieces and then throws the entire board out of the window at the last minute. Dracula reminds me a lot of BSG (and people complained about the lack of progress on that show)
Old January 13 2014, 05:35 AM   #85
Yminale
Rear Admiral

It doesn't so much bother me as puzzle me, in that I'm occasionally confused by the logistics and rules of this particular universe.
As one reviewer noted, Dracula doesn't care about rules or logic only for bat$#!^ craziness. I also read that the whole Victorians were prudes is an exaggeration created as a response to the decadence of the later Edwardian period.
Old January 13 2014, 06:11 AM   #86
Christopher
Writer

I would argue that Renfield is the most malevolent. He seems to encourage Dracula's darker nature. Maybe he's a statement about how lawyers bring out the worse in us. Van Helsing is just too passive/aggressive.
I'd say just the opposite. Renfield is the one person other than Mina who brings out anything good in Dracula. We've seen how much Dracula cares for Renfield, the lengths he'll go to in order to save him -- and here he spared Renfield for doing something (attacking him) that would have meant death for anyone else. He accepts Dracula's dark side, sees him as a fellow victim of entrenched, powerful interests (the Order in Drac's case, the racist institutions of Western civilization in Renfield's) and respects his ability to stand up to those oppressors and fight back, so he sees a certain ruthless nobility in his employer. Also, he owes Dracula his life, and thus he chooses to align himself with Dracula's goals and interests out of loyalty.

Van Helsing, on the other hand, is a total manipulative bastard, obsessed with revenge on the Order and willing to inflict widespread death and suffering in order to achieve it. He's the one who's encouraged Dracula to kill, far more than Renfield has. He's the one who resurrected Dracula by cutting an innocent man's throat as a blood sacrifice, just so he could get his revenge on the Order. And in this last episode, he kidnapped a couple of children! A reviewer said he expected to find that VH had slaughtered the children in their beds, because that would be completely in character for this version of him.

Old January 13 2014, 06:16 AM   #87
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I did like seeing Jonathan using a typewriter -- though really it should've been Mina. In the Stoker novel, Mina's typewriter is practically one of the main characters, as it enables her to type up and organize various notes and interviews and thus help Jonathan and Van Helsing piece together the mystery and identify and track Count Dracula. Heck, the novel is practically an extended typewriter commercial.
That's what it would be amazing to have an update of the original novel set in the present day where Mina is using a laptop to write upon (and that laptop would be from some manufacturer like Sony, who would then get a credit!)

In fact, how about a remake set in the distant future, in which Dracula is an alien from outer space and he comes to Earth (the capital planet of a UFP-like space confederation) in order to spread his vampirism far and wide in the galaxy, and where Mina is an IT worker who tracks Dracula down with her computer, hacker-style. It could be called Dracula 2099.

Last edited by Shaka Zulu; January 13 2014 at 11:12 AM.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 06:45 AM   #88
Yminale
Rear Admiral

Shaka Zulu wrote: View Post
That's what it would be amazing to have a remake set in the present day where Mina is using a laptop to write upon (and that laptop would be from some manufacturer like Sony, who would then get a credit!)

In fact, how about a remake set in the distant future, in which Dracula is an alien from outer space and he comes to Earth (the capital planet of a UFP-like space confederation) in order to spread his vampirism far and wide in the galaxy, and where Mina is an IT worker who tracks Dracula down with her computer, hacker-style. It could be called Dracula 2099.
Ugh NOOOOooooo!!! I don't see how a remake, makes the story better. I like how Dracula is an anti-hero and Mina is an actual character rather than a glorified secretary. I love the fact that Van Helsing and Dracula are frenemies. I like Rensfield. The only thing I don't like is the Order. A group of evil white men are boring and Hawker is so unlikable that you are almost forced too root for Dracula to win over Mina's heart.
Old January 13 2014, 11:11 AM   #89
Shaka Zulu
Fleet Captain

^What I meant and should have said was a retelling of the original story, but set in the future, not a remake of this show-my bad.
Shaka Zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 04:13 PM   #90
Christopher
Writer

...Hawker is so unlikable that you are almost forced too root for Dracula to win over Mina's heart.
I think that's exactly the idea. In order to make a bloodthirsty monster a sympathetic protagonist, they've had to make the other characters worse in comparison.