TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old January 9 2014, 05:02 AM   #76
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

Re: CBS Developing 2 New Treks?

Flake wrote: View Post
Re: Everyone

CBS are letting it die, its Paramount putting the effort in, without Paramount Trek would not be on anyone's radar!
CBS is hardly letting it die. They're just in a position where they don't have to produce a new Trek TV series to keep the entire franchise afloat. CBS otherwise merchandises the hell out of Trek, more so than any other property they have.
Paramount were told by CBS to start developing a Trek movie before 2007 or else they get movie rights as well iirc?
Nope. Paramount simply got a license to continue making Trek movies from CBS (Paramount already had a license for the first ten Trek movies prior to their split from CBS).

CBS does have a movie division (CBS Films), but it's geared towards only making the occasional small- to medium-budget film every now and then. It's almost an indie outfit, really.
If those rights went to CBS there would be no nuTrek as they have shown no desire to do anything new.
In a real sense, the success of the movies is what's keeping a new Trek TV series off the air, although I wouldn't rule out an animated series in the foreseeable future.

People may call CBS lazy or whatever for not having a new Trek TV series on the air right now, but I think it's just a case that they really don't have to, even if it makes some Trekkies unhappy.
Old January 13 2014, 04:28 AM   #77
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Lord Garth wrote: View Post
JJ Abrams didn't want CBS putting out merchandise with the likeness of TOS instead of his films. CBS didn't agree. Because of this impasse, if I understand it right, an agreement couldn't be reached to produce New Trek for TV.
Wasn't that story debunked?
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:57 AM   #78
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
JJ Abrams didn't want CBS putting out merchandise with the likeness of TOS instead of his films. CBS didn't agree. Because of this impasse, if I understand it right, an agreement couldn't be reached to produce New Trek for TV.
Yeah, I'd like to see a citation on that, too.
Old January 13 2014, 09:17 AM   #79
milojthatch
Lieutenant

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
You never saw this? I have yet to see anything from a creditable source to say otherwise. Frankly, JJ's jumping ship for Star Wars in my mind on strengthens the case that this is what happen.

As for there not being another Star Trek show on the air anytime soon, because JJ said so, based on this and what the good people at the Save Enterprise on NetFlix people have said (who I put faith in as it's run by folks that have actually worked on Star Trek in the past and are Industry Professionals), I'd say take what JJ says with a grain of salt.

The man doesn't give a damn about Star Trek or her fans, all he wanted was an I.P. he could exploit and back in 2006, he thought Star Trek was the ticket. I'm grateful the good people at CBS have kept him at bay the way they have.
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 09:44 AM   #80
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

milojthatch wrote: View Post

You never saw this? I have yet to see anything from a creditable source to say otherwise. Frankly, JJ's jumping ship for Star Wars in my mind on strengthens the case that this is what happen.
"...according to an individual with knowledge of the dispute.... Paramount declined to comment for this article and a spokesperson for Bad Robot did not respond to a request to comment."
So, it's the dope according to one unnamed source that no-one will go on the record to back up?!? Meh.

I meant a citation to something with journalistic integrity. I keep forgetting that that doesn't go without saying. I'll leave the reading of entrails and tea leaves to the tabloids.

As for there not being another Star Trek show on the air anytime soon, because JJ said so, based on this and what the good people at the Save Enterprise on NetFlix people have said (who I put faith in as it's run by folks that have actually worked on Star Trek in the past and are Industry Professionals), I'd say take what JJ says with a grain of salt.
There's nothing there that supports what was alleged, which was:
The man doesn't give a damn about Star Trek or her fans, all he wanted was an I.P. he could exploit and back in 2006, he thought Star Trek was the ticket. I'm grateful the good people at CBS have kept him at bay the way they have.
That Abrams "doesn't give a damn about Star Trek" is factually contradicted by his delivering two successful films so far. So, whatever.
Old January 13 2014, 10:03 AM   #81
milojthatch
Lieutenant

"...according to an individual with knowledge of the dispute.... Paramount declined to comment for this article and a spokesperson for Bad Robot did not respond to a request to comment."
So, it's the dope according to one unnamed source that no-one will go on the record to back up?!? Meh.

I meant a citation to something with journalistic integrity. I keep forgetting that that doesn't go without saying. I'll leave the reading of entrails and tea leaves to the tabloids.

There's nothing there that supports what was alleged, which was:
That Abrams "doesn't give a damn about Star Trek" is factually contradicted by his delivering two successful films so far. So, whatever.
No, Abrams not giving a damn about Star Trek is based on his own words. He's said time and time again "He didn't get it." or "He was more of a Star Wars fan." How perfect that as soon as Disney starts making a new Star Wars film, JJ jumps ship as much as his contact will allow him to. Come on, can't you put two and two together?
milojthatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 09:47 PM   #82
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Harve Bennett similarly admitted to not being a Star Trek fan when he took over as Executive Producer of the franchise after The Motion Picture. DS9's Ira Steven Behr says he hated the show in "How Star Trek/William Shatner Changed the World". Star Wars has always been a dream of Abrams' - who on Earth would deny him it?
Old January 13 2014, 10:19 PM   #83
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Harve Bennett similarly admitted to not being a Star Trek fan when he took over as Executive Producer of the franchise after The Motion Picture. DS9's Ira Steven Behr says he hated the show in "How Star Trek/William Shatner Changed the World". Star Wars has always been a dream of Abrams' - who on Earth would deny him it?
And when Brannon Braga joined the TNG staff, Gene Roddenberry himself told Braga not to watch the original series.
Old January 13 2014, 11:05 PM   #84
SeerSGB
Admiral

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Yeah, I don't understand the logic (or lack thereof) either.

- Abrams sucks! He doesn't get Star Trek! I wish he was gone!

* Abram signs up with Disney/Star Wars.

- How dare he leave! Traitor! He doesn't give a damn about Star Trek!

Honestly, if this was a dream of his, let him have his fun.

If someone came to me today and said "You can run either Star Trek or Star Wars" (yeah right, as if that'll happen). It'd be a hard choice for me to make.
Old January 13 2014, 11:15 PM   #85
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

That, in summary, reminds me of the book title I Hate You—Don't Leave Me: Understanding the Borderline Personality.
Old January 14 2014, 12:25 AM   #86
JirinPanthosa
Rear Admiral

Whatever drama there is between Abrams and CBS it's certainly not the cause of no new series.

CBS is running intensive focus group studies on prospective new series ideas, and has come to the conclusion that a new Star Trek series would be more expensive to make and would not get as good ratings as CSI: Walla Walla or Crime Show from the 80s Reboot.

If that ever changes, that is when CBS will make a Star Trek show.
JirinPanthosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 12:30 PM   #87
Yminale
Rear Admiral

SeerSGB wrote: View Post

Honestly, if this was a dream of his, let him have his fun.

If someone came to me today and said "You can run either Star Trek or Star Wars" (yeah right, as if that'll happen). It'd be a hard choice for me to make.
You're assuming that the group saying statement 1 and the group saying statement 2 are the same group. Clearly they are NOT. I for one wish he was completely gone from ST and had nothing to do with the new movie.
Old January 15 2014, 01:37 AM   #88
Lord Garth
Captain

Here's a link to an article from The Wrap, regarding JJ Abrams' and CBS's disagreement over merchandising.

link

I can go digging for an article from Variety, the Huffington Post, or the like but it would be in another post.

[EDIT: I don't post on (or even read) TrekBBS anywhere near as much as I used to but I'm surprised a question about a reputable link hasn't come up before in the XI+ Forum or GTD or here or that it wasn't debated, proven, or disproven. I figured this would've been dealt with or addressed somewhere before, so I didn't feel a need to post any type of link. Not a problem, just surprised.]

On another note, I don't mind that JJ Abrams is directing Star Wars, Episode VII.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 01:48 AM   #89
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Here's a link to an article from The Wrap, regarding JJ Abrams' and CBS's disagreement over merchandising.

link
That's one of the articles that milojthatch linked to.
You never saw this?
I can go digging for an article from Variety, the Huffington Post, or the like but it would be in another post.
Well, I doubt there's anything really substantial out there, but if you or anyone can find it, I'm interested.

If all there is is rumor, though, there's really no basis for concluding anything, because I can imagine scenarios that lay the blame for whatever impasse there is on anybody.
Old January 15 2014, 01:53 AM   #90
Lord Garth
Captain

I'm curious now too. It was something I just took for granted, to be honest.

I'll see what I can find. If I can't, then I'll let you guys know about that too. I'm about to eat, so I'm not going to search right at the moment.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote