Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old January 13 2014, 03:10 AM   #31
SicOne
Commodore

Re: I never got the Akira class as a carrier.

137th Gebirg, thanks for the link to the Ex Astris article. 440m seems to be the generally recognized and legitimate figure. I also did some digging in my office and came up with the Starship Spotter book from 2001, which gives stats of 464.4m long x 316.7m wide x 87.4m tall.

Starship Spotter also gave a figure of 15 torpedo tubes for the Akira, which I think we're all agreed on, but this has me wondering where they're all located?

Another question about this class, though...why are the warp nacelles canted? I guess an argument can be made that it doesn't matter why they're canted and that they work just fine, but all other designs we've seen have straight up-and-down nacelles, not canted at an angle. I was curious if there was any kind of Trekplanation about it?
SicOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:40 AM   #32
B.J.
Rear Admiral

^ Well, the Steamrunner and Sabre classes, which also had their debut in FC, also have canted nacelles.
Old January 13 2014, 07:46 AM   #33
Tribble puncher
Commander

I'm looking at what are supposed to be "doors" on the front of the saucer...and I'm only seeing 3 small things that look like view ports, if anything it looks almost like a "ten foward" area. Plus, just look at the windows on the saucer, she just looks too small to carry a meaningful amount of fighter craft...
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 12:07 PM   #34
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

http://www.modelermagic.com/?p=17454
Here are LOTS of wonderful pics of the Akira-class CG model used in First Contact. The hatch on the lowest level of the bridge dome gives good scale reference.
Old January 13 2014, 03:44 PM   #35
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Tribble puncher wrote: View Post
I'm looking at what are supposed to be "doors" on the front of the saucer...and I'm only seeing 3 small things that look like view ports, if anything it looks almost like a "ten foward" area. Plus, just look at the windows on the saucer, she just looks too small to carry a meaningful amount of fighter craft...
I guess that's what they eventually became in the production model. For Alex Jaeger's original concept, however - in his own words:
I also wanted to make a carrier of sorts, more akin to the Galactica with fly-through shuttle hangers...
The forward-facing launch bays got scaled down and turned into massive windows. They're bigger in scale than the other portholes around the surface, which is why they sometimes appear as if they're something else, like launch tubes. If he claimed BSG as inspiration, he likely envisioned small fighter craft coming out the front as opposed to full-size shuttles, which is probably why the openings are smaller in front than in back.
SicOne wrote:
Starship Spotter also gave a figure of 15 torpedo tubes for the Akira, which I think we're all agreed on, but this has me wondering where they're all located?
As for the location of the photon tubes, amusingly, the model itself seems to have more than 15, based on the production renders at Modeler Magic (thanks for the link, KDID!). In the pod alone, I've counted 12 - 4 in the front, 4 in the port-side-aft and 4 in the starboard-side-aft. Additionally, there also appears to be 4 pairs of lateral tubes on the outer edge on the top and bottom sides of the saucer, both port and starboard, as marked by the same red warning lines that exist on the pod around those tubes, bringing the number to 20. Finally, we saw photons also emitting from the lower section of the dome around the area of the forward navigational sensor during the battle at Earth, which would imply 1 or 2 more forward-facing tubes, at minimum, bringing the total number of photon launchers to 21 or 22!

However, in Jaeger's words:
It has 15 torpedo launchers and two shuttlebays – one in front, with three doors, and one in the back. I really got into it with this one, with the whole idea that the front bay would be the launching bay, and then to return they'd come into the back, because they'd be protected by the rest of the ship.". Visual inspection of the hull and design drawings show all fifteen, plus two more: twelve on the ship's weapons pod, one forward torpedo launcher under the deflector dish and four flanking torpedo launchers on the saucer, two on each side.
So I guess he never thought those lateral objects on the sides of the saucer were photon launchers, even though the markings on the model indicate they might be. They are clearly shown in his various concept images. Don't really know...

Last edited by 137th Gebirg; January 13 2014 at 03:58 PM.
137th Gebirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:27 PM   #36
Tribble puncher
Commander

If these pics come from the original cgi. (I thought I read somewhere, the studio lost the original CGI files. I could be mistaken however.) while these do look more like launching tubes, just eyeballing it, the openings look far too small for Peregrine fighters to fit through. I'm starting to wonder if this ship was originally envisioned to be much larger (Maybe the saucer was originally supposed to have the circumference of a Galaxy saucer? with the rest of the ship scaled accordingly?) Maybe the suits at the studio saw some early shots and said "make it smaller, the Enterprise needs to be the biggest ship of all of them." so the "launch tubes" became windows. Of course thats all a theory.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13 2014, 05:45 PM   #37
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

^^^ For what it's worth, in the Jaeger interview, he says:
It wound up being almost as big as the Enterprise-E – the E is longer, but the saucer section is almost the same size.
So yes, it is entirely possible that it was supposed to be much larger than what was eventually built, and able to support launch tubes of that size.

As for the lost files, I believe that was for the Norway class. Those files were apparently corrupted and unrecoverable. The Akira model, however, went on to be used quite frequently in DS9 during the Dominion War long after the events in First Contact and I think the Steamrunner could also be seen occasionally in the background as well.