Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old January 12 2014, 12:12 AM   #16
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: I Like Abrams

They had a conversation, can't get more appearing together than that.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2014, 12:16 AM   #17
urbandefault
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
They had a conversation, can't get more appearing together than that.
Not to mention the tv commercial they did together. Nimoy was not distancing himself from Quinto in any way that I can see.
Old January 12 2014, 12:18 AM   #18
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I love what Abrams has done, and I love the world he's constructed. He kept the framework, but built everything else his way, and I think it worked. As for Berman/Braga, and the others, they did a good job. Yeah, there were some stinkers, but no one can write hundreds and hundreds of episodes and still keep everything as fresh as the first one. So I think they did well, considering the sheer volume of material they had to churn out over the course of 15+ years.

I still believe Rick Berman had the best of intentions when he was running the franchise. I don't agree with every choice he made, but I don't doubt he did his best.
-=- I still wish upon stars -=-
Old January 12 2014, 12:20 AM   #19
teacake
Admiral

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) some day seeing what a Trek series looks like when there are 13 eps a year, rather than the 22+ churn out. I think it will be awesome.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2014, 01:00 AM   #20
BobtheGunslinge
Lieutenant Junior Grade

What merchandise?! There's fuck all merchandise. Certainly very little "parents of the younger crowd" will be buying since you have to go searching for it and it's not screaming at you in every toy aisle like Star Wars.
This is perhaps my biggest complaint about the new movies. (I don't hate them and I don't love them.) Where are the models? The toys?
Old January 12 2014, 01:06 AM   #21
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Nimoy and the limited amount with Quito
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Leonard_Nimoy
" He also said he would not appear in the next Star Trek film, claiming it would be unfair to Zachary Quinto, the actor currently portraying Spock."

It's not distancing as much as mixing his performance juxtaposed against Quito's.

Re: merchandising
This is a complex issue. Abrams wanted some exclusivity and control over merchandising. He wanted a reduction in the older series material being sold with a vastly increased amount sold of new merchadise because he felt there was confusion. He wanted to create a Star Wars like merchandising line. That's not a surprise given the 190 million spent to make the first film.
Old January 12 2014, 01:26 AM   #22
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'm looking forward to (hopefully) some day seeing what a Trek series looks like when there are 13 eps a year, rather than the 22+ churn out. I think it will be awesome.
Indeed, quality over quantity. I mean, there are currently only 6 (well, 7) episodes of Sherlock, and I am absolutely hooked on that show. I couldn't imagine 23 episodes a season producing a consistently high quality. It's just too damned hard to maintain those production values over that long a period.
Old January 12 2014, 01:27 AM   #23
teacake
Admiral

So where is this wondrous line of SW like merchandising. Where are my 23 different Khan figures. OH THAT'S RIGHT there are ZERO Nu-Khan figures..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2014, 01:28 AM   #24
teacake
Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Indeed, quality over quantity. I mean, there are currently only 6 (well, 7) episodes of Sherlock, and I am absolutely hooked on that show. I couldn't imagine 23 episodes a season producing a consistently high quality. It's just too damned hard to maintain those production values over that long a period.
I love nu-tv LOL..

Would be soooo great to see Trek get this kind of care.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2014, 01:32 AM   #25
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I was just reading someone saying something about him in the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum, and I'm just saying: I like the guy.
You monster.

Yeah, I like him too. "Into Darkness" was a stinker, but overall he's a good director. I'm sorry we're losing him for Star Trek 3, but I'm excited to see what he can do for Star Wars.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Old January 12 2014, 01:37 AM   #26
J. Allen
Best Pony™

I love nu-tv LOL..

Would be soooo great to see Trek get this kind of care.
I agree. Sometimes less is more, and if there were only, say, 13 episodes of a show produced per season, the quality would have to be higher in order to keep people watching. I think it would work.

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I was just reading someone saying something about him in the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum, and I'm just saying: I like the guy.
You monster.

Yeah, I like him too. "Into Darkness" was a stinker, but overall he's a good director. I'm sorry we're losing him for Star Trek 3, but I'm excited to see what he can do for Star Wars.
I expect the next Star Wars to be so damned good, that after the movie, I'll smoke a cigarette.

I don't smoke.
Old January 12 2014, 01:41 AM   #27
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Star-...rld-37587.html
Some information about the issues with merchandising with the reboot:
"An interesting column over on The Wrap explains how licensing and merchandising rights debates mired Bad Robot and Paramount in legal battles with CBS about what elements from Star Trek canon could be used … and which couldn’t. In fact, these hostile negotiations, according to the report, blocked Abrams from turning his 2009 reboot of the series into a multi-platform entertainment experience that would have included a television show, comic books, digital entertainment and more. In the process, these obstacles might have helped push Abrams into the welcome arms of Star Wars -- a franchise that likely worships all of this multi-platform ideas."

A lot of directors have come out in the last two years and complained about the new process of making a film, famous directors who've made money for the studios in the past, but who realize how much the process has changed for making films. It's so expensive to do now, partially due to star's salaries, but also the huge demand for special effects, spectacle, and world-wide gross sales...not just US sales.

One wonders if a lot of famous films could be made today because of market forces as well as corporations in control of that process.
http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/13/44...sive-implosion
"You're at the point right now where a studio would rather invest $250 million in one film for a real shot at the brass ring," he said, "than make a whole bunch of really interesting, deeply personal — and even maybe historical — projects that may get lost in the shuffle because there's only 24 hours."

All of that affects any future Star Trek projects. I'm ambivalent about Abrams personally. I do think the actors put in fine performances regardless of the script. Don't hold it against them.

We might be watching a television series right now on Star Trek, had this merchandising row not happened. It certainly was planned by Abrams.
Old January 12 2014, 01:56 AM   #28
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

So where is this wondrous line of SW like merchandising. Where are my 23 different Khan figures. OH THAT'S RIGHT there are ZERO Nu-Khan figures..
He has a Kre-o (knockoff Lego) figure!
Old January 12 2014, 04:21 AM   #29
teacake
Admiral

Those things are ugly. How am I suppose to ship a Kre-o Khan with my Nu Kirk figure from XI?

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 12 2014, 04:31 AM   #30
Plum
Rear Admiral

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Some information about the issues with merchandising with the reboot: ... SNIP!...
Long story short. Yea. The corporate world today is far, FAR, more complex and, well, full of lawyers. Armies and armies, I'm pretty sure they are the Borg. Anyho', JJ Abrams left Star Trek mainly because of this (or so I speculate). Disney offered him a fresh start with Star Wars and that was far more attractive than the mire and mud that is the Star Trek franchise.

Just imho.