Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old January 11 2014, 05:07 PM   #1
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

I Like Abrams

I was just reading someone saying something about him in the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum, and I'm just saying: I like the guy. I don't know him personally, but during the filming of Star Trek 09, he was roaming around the set in an Infocom shirt. I freakin' love Zork and the other old Infocom games! So, until given a direct reason for it not to be true, we're cool.

Why do I mention this? Because I feel like I see a LOT of comments - and I've almost certainly been guilty of this, myself, regarding Frakes and B & B - where people have clearly just allowed themselves to turn these people into the stupidest, most evil and poorly intentioned people EVER. They can't just be people who are trying to make the best entertainment they can and live their lives, and are just misguided or bad at it, or bad at doing it in a way that makes all of us happy. No, instead, THEY ARE RAPING OUR BELOVED HOBBY!!!1!!one!

It is more fun, perhaps, to demonize people who do things we don't like, but, it is also pretty much directly against the hopeful vision for mankind's future that Roddenberry and others have tried to show us. An impulse that we need to get past in each of us if we're ever going to achieve anything close to it.

And for the record, while I want JANEWAY cycled through the airlock, I quite like Kate Mulgrew, too.
Old January 11 2014, 05:16 PM   #2
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: I Like Abrams

I think THIS says it all.
Old January 11 2014, 05:24 PM   #3
ClassicTrekkie
Lieutenant

The only problem I have with Abrams is his lens-flare fetish. Aside from that, he's the greatest thing to happen to Star Trek in a long, long time. I'm saying this as a 42 year-old fan of the Original Series too .
Old January 11 2014, 06:14 PM   #4
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Abrams ran out of Trek ideas after one film and had to recycle The Wrath of Khan for his second film. I think THAT says it all.
Old January 11 2014, 06:20 PM   #5
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
Abrams ran out of Trek ideas after one film and had to recycle The Wrath of Khan for his second film. I think THAT says it all.
See, that's just rude.

Maybe he thought that was what we wanted - and from what I recall on this board, for a good many of us, he was right! So many people here speculating on Khan being in it that if he made his decision by reading our board (doubtful, but still) and seeing what idea was generating the most buzz, then we probably would have selected Khan for him.

Why does it have to be that he "ran out of ideas"? He was an admitted outsider - primarily a Star Wars fan - trying to make us happy!
Old January 11 2014, 06:32 PM   #6
Admiral

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
Other than the death scene (which was a clever use of their AU premise, IMO), how was it a remake any more than Man of Steel was a remake of Superman II? Characters are not stories. The Khan in ID was completely different to the Khan in WoK with different motivation (saving his people vs. revenge on Kirk) and the entire thing takes place under entirely different circumstances. How is the film a remake?
Old January 11 2014, 06:32 PM   #7
Xzpezer
Lieutenant

They are brilliant films just because they are not like the original series does not make it bad.
Old January 11 2014, 10:32 PM   #8
JirinPanthosa
Commodore

I think Abrams is a good writer, just his style is not compatible with Star Trek.

Also Moore or Behr shouldn't be in charge of a Lost reboot.

Putting JJ Abrams in charge of Star Trek would be as bad as putting Brannon Braga in charge of 24! Wait, shit.
Old January 11 2014, 10:51 PM   #9
urbandefault
Captain

I don't have a problem with the new movies. They're entertaining and a nice way to kill a couple of hours. That's the way I feel about the TNG movies too.

My favorites, and my preference, are with the TOS crew, but I still watch and enjoy the others.

Abrams, Orci, Kurtzman, Lindelof, etc. get a bad rap for no real reason. They're doing what they were hired to do: make Star Trek movies that will put butts in seats. I'd say they've been pretty successful so far.

The fact that fans can pick these movies apart detail by detail says to me that Abrams has done his job. Whether these fans like the movies or not is irrelevant. They're paying to see them. Over and over and over ...
Old January 11 2014, 11:17 PM   #10
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

To make the kind of money in film receipts, DVD sales, and merchandising, then any projects will likely be spectacles since that has mass appeal. That's never going to make fans like myself very happy who love the stories of Trek over forty years of watching them. Partially that doesn't influence the decision making process since a) we'll watch the films regardless because we love the films and tv shows so much. Believe me, Star Trek the Motion Picture was lousy. Watch, some of it was very forced and people were groaning when they watched it, and we were all die-hard fans who wanted it to be great. It got better over time, but had hits and misses. Star Trek V anyone? But II and IV were so enjoyable.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0W852wflMA

B) the younger crowd will always go see the latest spectacle.

C) their parents will buy the merchandise to please B

The books, whether authorized or fanfiction will perhaps please more because there's far more time to develop those stories and to attempt to follow some sense of canon and not reinvent the wheel to please newer generations. A lot of young people don't read.
Old January 11 2014, 11:39 PM   #11
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

What merchandise?! There's fuck all merchandise. Certainly very little "parents of the younger crowd" will be buying since you have to go searching for it and it's not screaming at you in every toy aisle like Star Wars.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old January 11 2014, 11:39 PM   #12
SpocksLeftEar
Lieutenant

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I was just reading someone saying something about him in the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum, and I'm just saying: I like the guy.
You poor misguided soul. I hope someone who believes in god prays for you.
Old January 11 2014, 11:45 PM   #13
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

SpocksLeftEar wrote: View Post
USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
I was just reading someone saying something about him in the Star Trek Movies XI+ forum, and I'm just saying: I like the guy.
You poor misguided soul. I hope someone who believes in god prays for you.
While I realize that you're joking, please keep the personal commentary about other posters out of the thread.
Old January 11 2014, 11:50 PM   #14
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

The longer the period in which there is no serialized version of Star Trek for people to see and to enjoy, then the less any future Star Trek will have any semblance to the original series. Too much time passes, and in media that's a death rattle because of the sense of immediacy that's needed to cause people to attend a film.

The last episodes of Star Trek Enterprise ran in 2005. Consider that, and if folks with now many science fiction media forms to choose from are going to watch a film strictly because of name recognition. That's the world we live in.

The reboot wasn't terrible by any means. I thought Leonard Nimoy did a very honorable thing by making the creative decision not to appear with Zac Quinto in the sequel. He didn't want to detract from the mythos they were creating nor in that young actor's work.

Star Trek can't stay static and survive. Nostalgia is for older folks after all. We have influence over the franchise, but to a smaller degree.
Old January 12 2014, 12:05 AM   #15
Admiral

Erm... Nimoy did appear with Zach in the sequel, albeit briefly on the viewscreen.