Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

View Poll Results: Will you be getting a PS4 and/or Xbox One ?
I'll get both 10 11.36%
Staying with Playstation (PS3 to PS4) 45 51.14%
Staying with Xbox (360 to One) 12 13.64%
Changing to Playstation (360 to PS4) 21 23.86%
Changing to Xbox (PS3 to One) 0 0%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 10 2014, 02:46 AM   #256
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Will you be getting a PS4 or an Xbox One ?

I'm having a really hard time justifying the purchase of any new system right now. I know that I want a PS4; Sony's exclusive games are the main reason I have become a Playstation person. XBOX games are of no interest to me.

My problem is that my PS3 still works perfectly fine! I've had it for almost 6 years. It's still the old fat model, and it runs just as well as it did when I took it out of the box. If I buy a PS4, I know I probably won't have any reason to use my PS3 again (I don't usually go back and replay too many games once I've beaten them).

So...I don't know what to do. I really want to buy it for the new "Infamous: Second Son." I almost wish my PS3 was crapping out on me so I could be more excited about replacing it.
Old January 10 2014, 02:48 AM   #257
Aragorn
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I'm having a really hard time justifying the purchase of any new system right now. I know that I want a PS4; Sony's exclusive games are the main reason I have become a Playstation person. XBOX games are of no interest to me.

My problem is that my PS3 still works perfectly fine! I've had it for almost 6 years. It's still the old fat model, and it runs just as well as it did when I took it out of the box. If I buy a PS4, I know I probably won't have any reason to use my PS3 again (I don't usually go back and replay too many games once I've beaten them).

So...I don't know what to do. I really want to buy it for the new "Infamous: Second Son." I almost wish my PS3 was crapping out on me so I could be more excited about replacing it.
Just keep on playing your PS3 until they run out of games that interest you, then buy the PS4 in a couple years when it's cheaper and Infamous: Second Son is $20 (or free on PS Plus).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 02:51 AM   #258
RoJoHen
Awesome

Aragorn wrote: View Post

Just keep on playing your PS3 until they run out of games that interest you, then buy the PS4 in a couple years when it's cheaper and Infamous: Second Son is $20 (or free on PS Plus).
That's the problem. I've already played all the PS3 games that interest me. My PS3 is basically just a Netflix machine right now.
Old January 10 2014, 02:53 AM   #259
ATimson
Rear Admiral

That's the problem. I've already played all the PS3 games that interest me. My PS3 is basically just a Netflix machine right now.
Then I'd say buy it.

Then again, I have both PS4 and Xbox One. I may not be a good person to ask

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 02:57 AM   #260
RoJoHen
Awesome

Gah! I used to be so much more impulsive about buying things. This would have been such an easy choice before I became financially responsible.
Old January 10 2014, 03:08 AM   #261
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Gah! I used to be so much more impulsive about buying things. This would have been such an easy choice before I became financially responsible.
I'm perfectly financially responsible!

I just have to make sure to not get married or have kids, so I can continue to have the lifestyle that I'm accustomed to.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 03:10 AM   #262
RoJoHen
Awesome

Infamous doesn't come out until March. I can at least hold out until then.
Old January 11 2014, 05:04 PM   #263
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Sorta my plan...
There will still be some nice PS3 games this year and some of the games that get PS3 and PS4 version are hopefully cheaper on the PS3...
Old January 11 2014, 06:25 PM   #264
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And... the trolling has started. Have to admit, some of it is kind of hilarious:

http://kotaku.com/what-xbox-one-trol...ike-1497193040
That IS absolutely hilarious.

And admittedly, it's quite clever. He doesn't really have to do much other than sign in, just stand there and watch the chaos unfold.
I don't understand what's so clever here. Even the article states:
"Granted, most likely won't fall for this trick, and if they do, there's no guarantee they'll actually sign out. Maybe the Xbox won't catch it, or they won't click through and finish the sign-out."

The Xbox doesn't just turn off, it also gives an "are you sure?" prompt that you can simply say "no" if one was dumb enough to fall for this. So really, it's literally impossible to "accidentally" turn off your machine even in a fit of rage directed at someone else.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 08:15 PM   #265
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post

And admittedly, it's quite clever. He doesn't really have to do much other than sign in, just stand there and watch the chaos unfold.
"Granted, most likely won't fall for this trick, and if they do, there's no guarantee they'll actually sign out. Maybe the Xbox won't catch it, or they won't click through and finish the sign-out."

The Xbox doesn't just turn off, it also gives an "are you sure?" prompt that you can simply say "no" if one was dumb enough to fall for this. So really, it's literally impossible to "accidentally" turn off your machine even in a fit of rage directed at someone else.
Thats not the purpose...
Watch the video:

Most of these people don't realize what they say in the heat of the moment until they get to that "are you sure" screen...
And how they react is pretty funny...
Old January 11 2014, 09:52 PM   #266
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post

What Rincewiend said. I know it won't just turn off. That's not the point. The point is that this guy managed to catch people in the heat of the moment just by signing in and being there, and watching the chaos unfold. And that is why it's so clever. It's sort of like an experiment in human behavior, wanting to see if people will react and sign out of the game. At the very least, it's getting them to interrupt their game before realizing what's happening.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 10:11 PM   #267
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I vote not particularly clever. And he doesn't just play and wait for it to happen, he uses common troll tactics like trapping teammates in the corner in order to get a reaction. So yes, he is kind of a jerk.
Old January 23 2014, 07:21 AM   #268
Rory1080p
Lieutenant Junior Grade

long term I definitely want to get both (though I think the PS4 will dominate this generation, initial sales figures and the fact they still haven't launched any major exclusives for it suggest it will do this easily), I love my PS3 and X360 so upgrading makes sense for me.

short term I just upgraded my PC to a graphics card that will run games at PS4 levels and above anyway...so for now that'll work for me I think!
Rory1080p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 12:54 PM   #269
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

I'll stick with my PC for gaming.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2014, 03:17 PM   #270
SPCTRE
1954 1974 1990 2014

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

As a serious gamer with disposable income, getting both is, in the end, inevitable. I've owned both Sony's as well as Microsoft's hardware platforms for two console generations, it would be silly to stop now.

The one I'll be getting first though is, in all likelihood, the PS4.