Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old January 11 2014, 07:26 PM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: Stellar Cartography

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
Christopher,
All I mentioned was that it was wasted effort. You on the other hand took great offense at a word. Come on man, lighten up!
You really can't understand why telling people that they're wasting their effort by doing something they enjoy is condescending and rude? I don't need to lighten up. You need to learn that your judgments of others are not harmless.

I've told you over and over why it's not a waste. Why it's fun to be creative. Why it's fun to learn. Science fiction is enjoyable to a lot of people because it makes us curious about the science of the real world and gives us an opportunity to learn new and interesting things. We're perfectly well aware of the difference between fiction and reality, but we enjoy the opportunity to explore reality and play with ideas. That is absolutely not a waste. You're the one who needs to lighten up, because you're unwilling or unable to see that this is enjoyable, and therefore worth doing.

If you studied any astronomy at all in college or grad school, the take away point was the insignificance of not only the Earth in reference to the Milky Way galaxy, but the insignificance of the Milky Way among galaxies.
I have a physics degree, for your information.

One cannot pretend to be doing stellar cartography and then simultaneously ascribe some origin points to the Earth's location within our galaxy just because Star Trek does. It's not logical.
Once more: No one is saying that Earth is literally some cosmically significant origin point. All that's been said is that the Federation has used it as the basis for an arbitrary geographical distinction analogous to the arbitrary division of the Earth into Eastern and Western hemispheres with the Greenwich Meridian as the reference point. It's a political and cartographic distinction, not a physical one, so your objection is nonsensical.

And I'm not going to argue with you anymore, because you're clearly not willing to listen or reconsider your preconceptions even slightly.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 07:30 PM   #47
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

DEWLine wrote: View Post
I think we've accidentally stumbled onto the next big idea for the next TV series: recruit Neil deGrasse Tyson into the writing staff. ;-)
In some respects, it would be ideal to have creative consultants who are astronomers.

This notion of seeing stars pass by on a trip, might not be plausible traveling with faster than light travel. Haven't you ever wondered at that based upon folding space with a warp drive? If you're folding space, are you skipping along like a stone across the surface of water? Are you entering into a field of some sort and then emerging in stages until you reach the end point goal?

What it definitely isn't like is traveling in an airplane and seeing stars whiz by. It would be calculating stellar phenomena and then ensuring the path was clear (charting a course) then ensuring no moveable objects would be entering that flight path. Then going for the most economical path that achieves the least amount of time with the least fuel loss in antimatter but based upon exigent circumstances.

EDIT:
Christopher,
Did you read Masao's post when he said, "I decided that trying to match most Trek locations with known stars was futile, as the Trek writers seemed to have completely ignored astronomical reality."

That's all I am pointing out. The futility of spending energy to make stars in Star Trek agree with reality.

I wish you well in your mapping and writing. I'm not interested in the wasted effort of a flame war. Rational discussion is always welcome though.

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 11 2014 at 07:54 PM.
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18 2014, 04:55 AM   #48
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Masao: I do like your preferred placement for Berengaria.

Trying to make out your choice for Taugus' homestar...Gliese 480.1 as opposed to Mandel's Gamma Equueli?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19 2014, 11:42 AM   #49
Masao
Fleet Captain

Masao: I do like your preferred placement for Berengaria.
That's completely random. The map I linked to is only about 10 parsecs in diameter, so I wanted to put in a few Trek stars for which there is little or no clue to their location in TOS/TAS. Berengeria was, Memory Alpha now tells me, mentioned in DS9, but I never watched much DS9. Oh well. And I never watched much Enterprise, so I don't care about any mention there.

Trying to make out your choice for Taugus' homestar...Gliese 480.1 as opposed to Mandel's Gamma Equueli?
Yes, Gl 480.1, which is much closer (25 ly) than Gamma Equulei (>100 ly). Because the ships in my version of Trek history are very slow (and not simply modern ships with a different paint job), I moved the Romulan War very close to Earth. That complicates later Trek geography, but I don't deal with that, so I don't care!
Old January 19 2014, 09:41 PM   #50
DEWLine
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine

Accidental or not, your placement of Berengaria works well for what I remember of the Novel'verse version of the Romulan War. (Wanting to re-read those books soonish.)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote