RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 803
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 10 2014, 03:33 AM   #316
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to DEWLine Send a message via Yahoo to DEWLine
Re: concept art and set photos!

Some still hold to that need to equate the two versions, yes.

Meantime, the more I look at this version of the hangar bay, the more I think of the word "cathedral".

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
DEWLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 07:15 PM   #317
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

DEWLine wrote: View Post
And that looks to be for just the "shuttle racks" from the floor of the bay to the apex of the racks. One more deck on top of that at the aft end of the bay?
There would definitely be room for another deck at the back, owing to the tapering hull.
Plum wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Here goes...

First, for those who still think the new Enterprise is the same size as the old one:
Tell me people don't still think that, do they?
I'm afraid so, although to do so one has to mentally censor the bridge window and corridor outside, the 16-deck corridor plaza, the engine room, the warp core engine room (it's too wide and too tall) and shuttlebay, saucer rim decks and the weapons bay. In short, everything but the general exterior shape.

It's amazing they can suspend disbelief that much, but not that this Starfleet builds bigger.
Meantime, the more I look at this version of the hangar bay, the more I think of the word "cathedral".
Definitely!
Old January 11 2014, 03:38 AM   #318
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Estimating 70 metres from the inner "lip" of the hangar clamshell doors to the nearest set of pillars/trusses and buttresses?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old January 11 2014, 04:45 PM   #319
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

In the PS3 game you can walk around nearly the entire (to scale) hanger bay. Waypoints to other parts of the ship give accurate distances from it to say the bridge, transporter rooms etc (generally 500+ meters).

Then again, there *is* a 300m version of the Constitution class shown on the 'power wall' with a different designation to the Enterprise.

There are two variants, or two classes, keeping the old and new sizes. Apparently that isn't enough for some people.
Old January 11 2014, 05:26 PM   #320
Admiral

I'll be back with more shuttlebay stuff in a bit, but for now...

Here's a much more detailed look at the city of San Francisco in 2259, and the Vengeance crash, from ILM. Nice shots of Starfleet headquarters and the automated waste processing facility.
Old January 11 2014, 07:08 PM   #321
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Thanks for this! I should've been watching for it.

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old January 12 2014, 03:36 AM   #322
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Here goes...

First, for those who still think the new Enterprise is the same size as the old one:

(and that 26ft for the TOS shuttle is based on the interior, not the undersized exterior prop)

Now, some bad news for those who, like me, want the new Enterprise to be consistently scaled at 725m...

It seems I was right when I originally guessed that they built the shuttlebay model using the early 1200m scale. Therefore the shuttlebay and primary hull details (bridge window, exposed decks after the Vengeance attack etc) are inconsistent.

And here's a wireframe of the shuttlebay. It may be too big, but it's still gorgeous.
These shuttles do not seem to be quite as large as the military shuttles that featured in the first film. It doesn't completely make up for things, but I doubt the STID shuttles are much longer than 30 feet themselves.
Old January 12 2014, 12:27 PM   #323
Admiral

^Many of the background shuttles in ID are the 40ft "military transport" type from '09, although I guess ILM could have cheated and shrunk them a little.
Estimating 70 metres from the inner "lip" of the hangar clamshell doors to the nearest set of pillars/trusses and buttresses?
I think it may be as little as 30. With 10m between beams.

Comparing the shuttlebay in this to the '09 movie, they're actually quite different. Other than the 'cathedral' supports added in ID (navigation hazard!), the beams are thinner than they were and the upper level was an actual shelf, instead of the individual shuttle platforms connected by gantries that were have in ID. The turbolifts from '09 are gone and the upper part of every second beam that was missing in '09 is intact in ID. And in '09 shuttles were on the 'ground' level of the bay, but now they're 20m up.
Old January 12 2014, 12:30 PM   #324
Admiral

Another ILM feature, this time on Nibiru.

And some USS Vengeance design/concept art from James Clyne's site.

Last edited by King Daniel Into Darkness; January 12 2014 at 01:19 PM.
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 11:47 PM   #325
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

^Many of the background shuttles in ID are the 40ft "military transport" type from '09, although I guess ILM could have cheated and shrunk them a little.

Comparing the shuttlebay in this to the '09 movie, they're actually quite different. Other than the 'cathedral' supports added in ID (navigation hazard!), the beams are thinner than they were and the upper level was an actual shelf, instead of the individual shuttle platforms connected by gantries that were have in ID. The turbolifts from '09 are gone and the upper part of every second beam that was missing in '09 is intact in ID. And in '09 shuttles were on the 'ground' level of the bay, but now they're 20m up.
Went and looked at the TrekCore screencaps and you're right about the floor-to-ceiling supports!

We don't know how much time elapsed between the final fight with Nero's conclusion and the ship's relaunch into active duty at the end of ST XI. Therefore, we have some "wiggle room" to allow for a refit of the hangar deck as a consequence of some of the structural damage issues of almost getting sucked into that "wormhole" along with the remains of the Narada. (No reason to believe those cracks in the walls/floor/bulkheads of the bridge weren't replicated elsewhere in the ship's structure, right?)

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old January 13 2014, 04:09 PM   #326
anh165
Commander

And some USS Vengeance design/concept art from James Clyne's site.
Nice find! I like the prototype side profile painting, and the picture of the Vengeance with the side and front 'pop-up' torpedo launchers.
Old January 14 2014, 04:51 AM   #327
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

His concept for the Kelvin's shuttlebay is pretty interesting too. It has almost the same basic layout as the Enterprise, with the shuttles parked sideways facing the center of the flight path. Twelve long-range shuttles on top and twelve blocky travel-pod looking things below (shuttles from early concept sketches back in, like, 2007).

From this, I can actually see what the production crew had in mind when they scaled up the Enterprise for a "Grander feel." Basically, they wanted Enterprise to have a shuttlebay that would make Kelvin's bay look smaller; IOW, they wanted a Nimitz to the Kelvin's Tarawa.

Went and looked at the TrekCore screencaps and you're right about the floor-to-ceiling supports!

We don't know how much time elapsed between the final fight with Nero's conclusion and the ship's relaunch into active duty at the end of ST XI. Therefore, we have some "wiggle room" to allow for a refit of the hangar deck as a consequence of some of the structural damage issues of almost getting sucked into that "wormhole" along with the remains of the Narada. (No reason to believe those cracks in the walls/floor/bulkheads of the bridge weren't replicated elsewhere in the ship's structure, right?)
Well, the Enterprise also took considerable damage during the fight with the Gorn shortly before the Nibiru mission. The reconfigured shuttlebay might simply be a consequence of extensive structural repairs and Starfleet deciding that the sub deck dividing the hangar from the main cargo bay didn't really need to be there after all.
Old January 15 2014, 09:16 AM   #328
Admiral

LOTS of opening nacelle variation concepts from a forthcoming issue of the Star Trek Starships Collection model/magazine combo. Also of interest is the somewhat different window layout.
Old January 15 2014, 08:33 PM   #329
DEWLine
Fleet Captain

Suspected that a lot of design work went into that.

Wondering if anything's been done yet re: the "background guest-starship" designs?

Dwight Williams
Illustrator/Writer
Old January 18 2014, 10:38 PM   #330
Kevman7987
Commander

View Kevman7987's Twitter Profile

Putting together everything I've heard/read about the size of the NuEnterprise; The ship started out at roughly the same size as the original Constitution at around 360m, but then they decided they wanted it bigger to shove more/larger shuttles into racks in the hanger bay so they increased it's size. Now the ship interiors & exteriors don't match up. It has an interior sized at 1200m, with an exterior sized at 725m?

Is the Enterprise the Tardis now?

"Damnit, man! I'm a doctor, not The Doctor!" - Leonard McCoy