Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 8 2014, 03:29 AM   #16
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Re: Scotty question

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
or the Abrams usurpers?
Are you serious?

It's spelled "Kronos" and called "Kronos" in STID, how could it be on Abrams?
Old January 8 2014, 03:38 AM   #17
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Franklin wrote: View Post
...the response might be, "No kidding, Sherlock.
I would have been amused if Kirk fed this line to Benedict Cumberbatch's Khan in the movie.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 03:39 AM   #18
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

In all fairness, the "Qo" is not pronounced "Quo," that's why there is no "u." The sound is rougher and more gutteral, closer to but not the same as "Kro." But if we're gonna be all literal and refer to the planet with Marc Okrand's phonetic representation of Klingon, then we should write "Klingon" as "tlhlIngan." So I go with Kronos for konsistency.
Old January 8 2014, 03:39 AM   #19
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Set Harth wrote: View Post
or the Abrams usurpers?
Are you serious?

It's the kind of thing they could do to put their stamp on it. Even if they didn't. I'm very glad they did in fact used "Kronos" in the movie.
Old January 8 2014, 04:12 AM   #20
The Wormhole
Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Did Scotty actually figure out it was Qo'nos?
The OP used the spelling "Kronos" - correctly, in my opinion. I don't know where the heck to post my annoyance at this more recent spelling of "Qo'nos." It makes it sound like a speech impediment - the way Kripke would say "Kwonos" on Big Bang Theory. It's nearly as bad as Sci-Fi changing its name to Syphilis, er, SyFy. It could be an appropriate topic for most any of these forums, so I'll just limit my complaint to here.

Who did this - is it canon? Official canon from primary sources (series/movies)? Or fan or out of band canon (books, comics, 3rd party licensed materials etc)? I have seen it used in various sources. So who made it canon? The Roddenberry crew or the Abrams usurpers? I'm rather tired of the writers' cliche - not just Star Trek but everywhere now - that makes words alien with a simple apostrophe. It was new and unique for T'Pring and T'Pau in the 1960s - as far as I knew. Now, it's used everywhere and it's just a dumb trick.

Can fans organize a canon coup d'état to eliminate this thing and just go back to Kronos?
Fun fact: STID uses both spellings. While Kronos is used in the location subtitle, computer displays have it labeled Qo'nos. In fact, that is actually the only time the Qo'nos spelling is seen on screen, despite being used in the novels and other material for nearly twenty years. So STID made Qo'nos canon.
Old January 8 2014, 05:05 AM   #21
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
...So STID made Qo'nos canon.
Ah ha! See, Set Harth, see? Abrams usurpers! And Kripke would still say "Kwonos," as the amateur linguistic spelling of "Qo'nos" would suggest to any normal person (defined as one who would not hand in a letter of resignation using Klingon glyphs or have other such tendencies).
Old January 8 2014, 05:28 AM   #22
Dukhat
Commodore

Set Harth wrote: View Post
or the Abrams usurpers?
Are you serious?

It's the kind of thing they could do to put their stamp on it. Even if they didn't. I'm very glad they did in fact used "Kronos" in the movie.
You sound like Rush Limbaugh. Emphasis mine.
Old January 8 2014, 05:57 AM   #23
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

From Scotty and coordinates to usurpers and Rush Limbaugh in under 25 posts - that's very impressive, but let's get back to talking about Scotty and coordinates, if that's quite all right.

Discussion of the Kronos/Qo'noS question really belongs in a Trek forum other than this one. Any discussion of "Abrams usurpers" would belong (at the very least) in a thread of its own or (even better still) in an outside blog entry with plenty of room to rant. The subject of Limbaugh properly belongs in no Trek forum, and he's welcome to see himself out of this one just as soon as he possibly can.
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 09:21 AM   #24
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

"Klingon" as "tlhlIngan."
After going to my first Star Trek convention in the 90's, I felt tha tI had to walk away with some kind of souvenir. Money was tight, and I'm not much for spending it on stuff just for the sake of it, I really wanted to get something from the convention. I wound up buying the audio tape for the Klingon language, narrated by Mark Okrand and Michael Dorn. Okrand put a lot of thought into this, in terms how the words are pronounced. He warned that learning how to speak the language would cause a lot of spit to fly, and the tongue would flap, and a lot of sounds would be very guttural in nature. Sounds primitive, but he was remarkable consistent of these types of sounds, and it was remarkably creative.

I love that strange spelling of "Klingon" for this reason. Trying to say a "tl" sound, by putting the tongue on the roof of the mouth, actually produces the tongue flutter and a bit of spit, and, oddly enough, sounds a bit like a "k" sound, but not exactly. It's extremely unique, and convincing as a new language, and that spelling is, in my opinion, really neat.
Old January 10 2014, 06:08 PM   #25
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Not all, but some of the distinct sounds of the language can also be found in Hebrew - like the gutteral kh sound at the beginning of Qo'nos.

And I'm not sure why there is a "realism" issue with Scotty or humans in general calling difficult-to-pronounce with the clearly-borrowed-from-greek name Kronos, anymore than there is with English speakers calling Moskva "Moscow". You don't really think Vulcans named their world after one of our deities, do you? I'm sure the name in their tongue is something hard to pronounce for humans, too.
Old January 10 2014, 08:57 PM   #26
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
...anymore than there is with English speakers calling Moskva "Moscow".
The media can't seem to agree on even the pronunciation of Moscow. It's changed as much as the spelling of Muammar Gaddafi over the past few decades. At least Cher has settled on one name and sticks with it. Prince, well, try to pronounce that symbol he used for a while. People are so fickle.
Old January 10 2014, 11:28 PM   #27
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Prince, well, try to pronounce that symbol he used for a while.
Kinda off-topic, but FYI: The reason Prince "changed his name to a symbol" was that when he left Warner Bros, they wouldn't let him perform under the name Prince - said they owned the rights to it, and apparently this held up, somehow, for a while. Even though his birth name is Prince Rogers, Jr. Couldn't use his own bloody name!

The point of the symbol was that people wouldn't know how to pronounce it, so he thought that people would just keep calling him Prince, and even the first track off of the first album he released after leaving WB was named "My Name Is Prince..." - because he *could* use the *word* in a song, you see.

What he didn't count on was radio stations enjoying mocking the whole thing and making up and using the TAFKAP ("The Artist Formerly Known As Prince") moniker, and I think it annoyed him, because a while after the change but before he could actually start calling himself Prince again, he was asked in an interview how to pronounce the symbol (he had been asked before with no direct answer), and he said it was "Christopher".

Old January 11 2014, 02:13 AM   #28
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I prefer "the Stale Prince".
Old January 11 2014, 02:36 AM   #29
BigJake
Rear Admiral

JWPlatt wrote:
Can fans organize a canon coup d'état to eliminate this thing and just go back to Kronos?
Kronos is linguistically correct as an English transliteration of Qo'noS. No coups needed!