The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

View Poll Results: new star trek show
Star fleet academy 9 23.68%
Klingon's 1 2.63%
Mirror universe 2 5.26%
25th century 26 68.42%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 11 2014, 01:16 AM   #31
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: new star trek show

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
You see a preview for a movie you'd like to see, blink, and then the DVD's already out.
[snip]
At some point, we de-mythologized what was a modern mythological experience.
You know, we're getting older, too. I can remember when waiting a month could seem like *forever*. Now, it frequently seems like I miss about every other one.

And I feel like I'm doing pretty well, because often when I leave a movie I still feel like I've seen something pretty cool, had a window into another world for a while. At least, until I come here or aintitcool.com or get on Facebook and have all of my friends tell me all of the reasons that the movie I just watched really sucked and was poorly written.
Old January 11 2014, 01:21 AM   #32
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

My favorite movies memories are the ones where the crowd really gets into the excitement, laughing, cheering, feeding off one another's energy.
This still happens occasionally, but rarely, and I really think it only ever happened rarely. The last time I experienced it was Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 - when the plot twist came, the audience went berzerk, and it was awesome! Before that, it was when the cheer went up for "A Long Time Ago, In A Galaxy Far, Far Away..." at the beginning of Episode I. (Poor bastards - we had no idea what was coming. ). Before that, it was Stephen King's Sleepwalkers. And that was primarily because the movie was so gawdawful that everyone started MSTing it, and no one minded a bit!
Old January 11 2014, 01:47 AM   #33
Queen Arachnia
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Queen Arachnia

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
Xzpezer wrote: View Post
That is why i would like to see a star trek show based in the mirror universe it would be a dark take on star trek and we would see what humanity has become in this universe.
So long as its not just because women are in even skimpier/tighter outfits that the regular universe. It would be interesting to see though is a ship commanded by a female Captain would have male officers going around in just cod-pieces

Double standards, I know but Trek set the precedent, I just want to balance the scales.
Mirror Universe Kira was pretty a dominant female, ordering MU Sisko around.
Old January 11 2014, 01:52 AM   #34
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

The films experience has changed a great deal even from the time I was a kid in the 80s. Going to the movies was an event. We had home video, but we sometimes had to wait years after a film's theatrical run for it to be released on VHS. Now the DVD and bluray special features are being edited even before a film has been released to theaters. You see a preview for a movie you'd like to see, blink, and then the DVD's already out. Sometimes a film is released to a streaming service like Netflix before the theatrical release.

Audience reaction isn't the same, either. My favorite movies memories are the ones where the crowd really gets into the excitement, laughing, cheering, feeding off one another's energy. These days, when I see an action FX flick like "Transformers" or even Trek films, the audience more often than not just stares passively at the screen.

At some point, we de-mythologized what was a modern mythological experience.
I agree wholeheartedly. There were times in the early seventies through the eighties in which we applauded the conclusion of the movie, something that probably would be seen as ridiculous today as no performers are on stage. We communally celebrated the event of the film and were glad to experience being surrounded with diverse people who wanted to be together to have that experience.

In many ways, while there are enormous growing opportunities to network and share and celebrate our individual circumstancecs through social media, when polled people describe growing alienation and isolation. What an odd occurance!

The deconstruction of the hero and the saga (from things like Viking myth) have resulted in more and more flawed heroes and finally anti-heroes. There's not enough balance and I think this is partially why Star Trek is becoming less relevant.

If there was a clear chance of commericial success in a new Star Trek television series would any production company hesitate to create one? I doubt it. There are social, economic, artistic, and ideological changes that are making it more difficult to be on television.
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11 2014, 02:09 AM   #35
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Robbiesan wrote: View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. There were times in the early seventies through the eighties in which we applauded the conclusion of the movie, something that probably would be seen as ridiculous today as no performers are on stage.
I've actually been in theaters where this has happened, a number of times, within the last few years. Maybe the people where you live are just sticks in the mud. (Actually, what's more likely is that the state where I live is behind the times, like it is in most things.)
Old January 11 2014, 02:18 AM   #36
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Robbiesan wrote: View Post
I agree wholeheartedly. There were times in the early seventies through the eighties in which we applauded the conclusion of the movie, something that probably would be seen as ridiculous today as no performers are on stage.
I've actually been in theaters where this has happened, a number of times, within the last few years. Maybe the people where you live are just sticks in the mud. (Actually, what's more likely is that the state where I live is behind the times, like it is in most things.)
I think you're fortunate, though I doubt the people in my area are jaded or less demonstrative.

Part of what an experience a "peak experience" is the reaction of others who are also having the experience at the same moment. Think of a roller coaster. Half the fun is hearing the nervousness, the exhileration, the glee from others while realizing that it's impossible to be detached while going around a sharp bend or taking a precipitous drop.

Not every film is going to be given to applause based upon the film itself, though I would think most Star Trek fans are so hardcore that they'd be given to cheering at a good film during and after a film.

I've been delighted in recent years to see a fan production of the show like this one. I can't imagine the costs incurred from doing one:
http://www.youtube.com/user/StarTrekContinues/videos

Let's hope that we don't have only cinema for Star Trek, but something serialized on a more frequent basis.
Old January 12 2014, 08:26 PM   #37
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

25th Century.

Klingons would get a bit tiresome pretty quick, IMO. Mirror universe is a little too "niche" for a broad ausience. And the Academy thing would just end up being either a soap opera or an unrealistic thing where instead of being at the academy actually learning, the cadets would be sent off week after week on some sort of contrived "training exercise turns into real-world situation" type adventures.
Old January 12 2014, 09:15 PM   #38
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

If it's 25th Century Star Trek, you can bet that you'd see the opposition of some paradigms, the alteration of those models, and some outright iconoclasts of them as well. That's typical in history.

Which means opposition to the Prime Directive, real questioning about the effects of it, as well as surveillance of species.

Television shows try to tie in to the ethos of societal niches, and as a result things like the opposition to surveillance, monitoring of social media, loss of privacy, Big Brotherism, etc would likely appear on the show.

It's entirely plausible for some characters to see the prime directive as a mishappen antiquated model for encountering species, while some may see it as outright evil. Others would cling to it as the foundation upon which Starfleet and the Federation needs to exist.

Think back in history to political and social choices like segregation, seperate but equal, ethnocentrism, considering some sexual identity as inferior or perverse, state religions, etc. We devalue older models over time, discard old ideas, and some folks either vehemently oppose them, or others look upon them neutrally, or others vigorously attempt to maintain the status quo "if it ain't broke...don't fix it...".

An erudite, impassioned, and persuasive revolutionary in some part of the Federation might rally others to his/her cause. It's likely that the Romulans would send aid to foment disorder while they also make peace gestures.

The Federation has never been as militarily powerful as other species. They're so spread thin and lots of Federation races might reconsider their inclusion based upon this movement. In the interim while other species have benefited from shared information, some species may decide the Federation is no longer relevant, or that they might be hampering the success of their species by being a member.

Some revolutionaries (they probably call themselves reformers) might point out the many instances where Starfleet officiers bent the rules, or interpreted the rules, such that the Prime Directive was bypassed. They may see those instances resulting in a more superior outcome.

The deaths of many people within species as a result of noninterference is sure to resonate with the medical profession, as well as humanitarian aid workers, and likely educators.

Disclosure about the Omega molecule, and ignoring or bypassing the Prime Directive may come to light. Someone always talks, and as a starship captain ages, then they are more likely to not be concerned about disclosure. In fact they may oppose that secrecy. This would add fuel to the fire from an entirely different side, and members of Starfleet may begin to also think the Prime Directive needs to be addressed and perhaps reformed.

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 12 2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old January 18 2014, 11:29 PM   #39
kennysmith
Lieutenant Commander

No one can fit the old tv show the person in the HQ of CBS don't want to see it to ever come back on to tv no more, the only way it could come back is to keep JJ off of the set. he don't know muck about the OLD TOS, he would do it his way only.
kennysmith is offline   Reply With Quote