Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 9 2014, 05:01 PM   #61
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Star trek 13 villain

anh165 wrote: View Post
...some display to "show off" the hero ship which is what FC, Nemesis and Insurrection were guilty of.
Please elaborate: In what way? You make it sound as vacant as Mr. Universe flexing his muscles on the beach for the girls. It's kind of like saying an EMT (or some other first responder) is showing off by carrying an incapacitated person out of the fire. The latter two movies weren't great, so I won't defend that, but I am curious how you believe the ship essentially became an object of vanity. Your complaint is what some of us actually want.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 09:50 PM   #62
Smellmet
Commander

Agreed, I want them to show the Enterprise off, some of my absolute favorite scenes in all of Trek involve the old girl,, the TMP flyby and launch, TWOK battles, TSFS theft I could go on.

If I were to be into the Fast and Furious movies (and I'm not at all) I'd expect to see some car action.

The Enterprise is the 4th biggest character in Trek after Kirk, Spock and Bones IMO, and I think she got a raw deal in the last movie
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 05:46 PM   #63
geneo
Lieutenant

How about the old Kirk as a villain. From Shatner's book The Return. Kirk is reanimated by the borg and Romulans but programmed to bring down the Federation. Great way to bring Shatner back in and end his character properly maybe by ending him at the end in a fitting battle to finally save the federation he was sent out to destroy or bring down.
geneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 05:54 PM   #64
geneo
Lieutenant

Lance wrote: View Post
Who should be the Villain in star trek 13.
Admiral Marcus, via the Borg. Oh sure, his head was popped open like a piece of candy. But they could still bring him back. He could be part man, part machine - all Admiral.
Another Robocop character?
Old January 10 2014, 06:16 PM   #65
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

geneo wrote: View Post
How about the old Kirk as a villain. From Shatner's book The Return. Kirk is reanimated by the borg and Romulans but programmed to bring down the Federation. Great way to bring Shatner back in and end his character properly maybe by ending him at the end in a fitting battle to finally save the federation he was sent out to destroy or bring down.
All they have to do to bring back Kirk Prime is this:

Basically some Trek character clones Kirk in body only - not mind, not living. Maybe they were warned with knowledge of the future, or from the Nexus. They do a simultaneous beam-out and switch of dying Kirk under the fallen bridge with the clone Kirk. Dying Kirk is saved with advanced medical help. Clone Kirk is still there for Picard to bury under a pile of stones. That's why dying Kirk said, "Oh my." He became aware of the beam-out attempt, but Picard was unaware. Kirk lives on in Picard's time, but we know not where. Or maybe he was recalled to the Nexus since he was there once and could then choose to exit into any time he wished. Maybe he joined Spock for a while on Romulus. Maybe he jumps in and out of the Nexus every week for a new adventure in a different time period - like Time Tunnel for Star Trek. Who knows.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 06:40 PM   #66
anh165
Commander

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
...some display to "show off" the hero ship which is what FC, Nemesis and Insurrection were guilty of.
Please elaborate: In what way? You make it sound as vacant as Mr. Universe flexing his muscles on the beach for the girls. It's kind of like saying an EMT (or some other first responder) is showing off by carrying an incapacitated person out of the fire. The latter two movies weren't great, so I won't defend that, but I am curious how you believe the ship essentially became an object of vanity. Your complaint is what some of us actually want.
One example is the Enterprise-E being touted as the "most advanced ship on the fleet" then minutes later swooping in and destroys an almost 'omnipotent' opponent like the Borg cube in FC was very anti-climatic.

In Nemesis, they talked up a big game by bringing in a black ubership with 50+ disruptor banks and a million torpedoes yet the Ent-E brushes away all that and the born again action man that is Picard banters with a romulan chick about romulan ale before deciding to crash into the Scimitar - LOOK ... she's hella tough trek fans!

Then there is the joystick scene in Insurrection. It is almost like they had the idea of doing a Top Gun with the Enterprise.

The above examples instilled no fear of the ship being turned into toast or that something terrible is about to happen the protagonists. It is a relief that the recent reboot movies gave us the sensation that no one was safe. Not even Kirk.
Old January 10 2014, 06:43 PM   #67
anh165
Commander

Smellmet wrote: View Post

The Enterprise is the 4th biggest character in Trek after Kirk, Spock and Bones IMO, and I think she got a raw deal in the last movie
The Enterprise did not get any raw deal, she (the crew) came out on top against the odds which is what we all know and love about the crew of the Enterprise.

When she recovered from the falling from the sky and elevated up through the clouds in STiD was magical, I'll take that scene than all the combined 24th century era battle scenes.
Old January 10 2014, 08:18 PM   #68
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

When she recovered from the falling from the sky and elevated up through the clouds in STiD was magical, I'll take that scene than all the combined 24th century era battle scenes.
Dude. Really? Even the massive fleet battles from DS9?

For me, no deal. But I would trade any of it for the scene with Kirk and crew on the Genesis planet, watching the Enterprise fall. But thankfully, I don't have to trade - we get them all.
Old January 10 2014, 10:11 PM   #69
geneo
Lieutenant

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
All they have to do to bring back Kirk Prime is this:

Basically some Trek character clones Kirk in body only - not mind, not living. Maybe they were warned with knowledge of the future, or from the Nexus. They do a simultaneous beam-out and switch of dying Kirk under the fallen bridge with the clone Kirk. Dying Kirk is saved with advanced medical help. Clone Kirk is still there for Picard to bury under a pile of stones. That's why dying Kirk said, "Oh my." He became aware of the beam-out attempt, but Picard was unaware. Kirk lives on in Picard's time, but we know not where. Or maybe he was recalled to the Nexus since he was there once and could then choose to exit into any time he wished. Maybe he joined Spock for a while on Romulus. Maybe he jumps in and out of the Nexus every week for a new adventure in a different time period - like Time Tunnel for Star Trek. Who knows.
Hey, that is very good. We could also have another Guardian of Forever he could go to any time period in the past he wanted.
Old January 10 2014, 10:45 PM   #70
Smellmet
Commander

I'm sorry but that is WAY to fanfanky for me
Old January 10 2014, 10:46 PM   #71
Smellmet
Commander

The Enterprise did not get any raw deal, she (the crew) came out on top against the odds which is what we all know and love about the crew of the Enterprise.

I'm sorry but the enterprise got a new arsehole tore in STID, she did'nt even get a shot off!
Old January 11 2014, 02:30 AM   #72
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

When she recovered from the falling from the sky and elevated up through the clouds in STiD was magical
I just knew some magic was in effect.

I think the spell in question was Dispel Any Other Federation Ships ( Especially Ones With Tractor Beams ). That's a complicated incantation, though.
Old January 12 2014, 12:11 AM   #73
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Into Darkness did a great job setting up the third film and I see no reason to throw that all away by going in another direction. We need a war with the Klingons.

The film can open with a teaser depicting the opening battle of the Federation-Klingon War where a fleet of Klingon cruisers almost effortlessly crushes a StarFleet task force. Cut to Kirk recording a captain's log detailing how relations with the Klingons have broken down and all out war started 6 months ago. The Enterprise has been recalled to Earth and assigned a mission vital to the defense of the Federation. StarFleet revives Khan with the promise of a pardon for him and his crew if he helps Kirk complete the mission.

Throw in some epic fleet battles, an intelligent Klingon general, some cool action scenes, some snarky dialogue between Khan and Kirk, and a romance subplot between Carol Marcus and Bones. The rest of the movie will write itself.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2014, 04:17 AM   #74
geneo
Lieutenant

I'm sorry but that is WAY to fanfanky for me
Humm..well, how about something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVmz0-7GWtM
Old January 12 2014, 03:25 PM   #75
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Let's see the Borg come for the Federation but through Klingon space. Epic Klingon/Borg battles in space and on land, planets being assimilated (think of the Vendetta prologue), and Kirk and co. trying to save their former enemies. End with Kirk freeing the entire Borg Collective and making allies of the Klingon Empire.