Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy

Trek Retro Watches

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 7 2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Aragorn
Admiral

"Intelligence" season 1 discussion & spoilers (Josh Holloway)

INTELLIGENCE is a dramatic thriller starring Josh Holloway as a high-tech intelligence operative enhanced with a super-computer microchip in his brain. With this implant, Gabriel is the first human ever to be connected directly into the global information grid and have complete access to Internet, WiFi, telephone and satellite data. He can hack into any data center and access key intel in the fight to protect the United States from its enemies. Leading the elite government cyber-security agency created to support him is Director Lillian Strand, a straightforward and efficient boss who oversees the unit's missions. Strand assigns Riley Neal, a Secret Service agent, to protect Gabriel from outside threats, as well as from his appetite for reckless, unpredictable behavior and disregard for protocol. Also on the team is Chris Jameson, a resourceful federal investigator. The brains behind the design of the chip is Dr. Shenendoah Cassidy, whose son, Nelson, is jealous of Gabriel's prominent place in his father's life. As the first supercomputer with a beating heart, Gabriel is the most valuable piece of technology the country has ever created and is the U.S.'s secret weapon.
CAST: Josh Holloway (Lost), Marg Helgenberger (CSI), Meghan Ory (Once Upon a Time), John Billingsley (Star Trek: Enterprise), PJ Byrne (The Game) and Michael Rady (The Mentalist).

Series premiere is Tuesday, January 7 on CBS in between NCIS and Person of Interest. Then the show will move to its regular time slot on Mondays opposite Castle and The Blacklist (where Hostages used to be).
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 08:53 PM   #2
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Re: "Intelligence" season 1 discussion & spoilers (Josh Holloway)

Sounds like a super-powered "Chuck," but I've set the dvr to record the first one. I like Holloway, so I'll see how the first one is.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:48 PM   #3
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Of course... the guy they put the chip in is "reckless" and doesn't like "protocol." Because that's a good idea. Insert Eyeroll here. I'm sure they'll justify it some silly way. But, that's not who you would put a chip in. You just wouldn't.

I'm passing. If you took the chip away, the characters sound like they are from the cliche book of cop characters.
Old January 7 2014, 11:02 PM   #4
Q2UnME
Commodore

I'm going to give this a shot, at least for a bunch of episodes to see how it progresses. I like most of the actors, so we'll see if they're given something good to work with. Probably going to have to DVR in addition to trying to watch it in real time. Currently have a house full of women to contend with and I'm not entirely sure if some RomCom or the like will be on....

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I've got it set to record. CBS doesn't have a good track record with shows premiering in January and I'm still confused why Marg Helgenberger quit her job to go do something on the same network doing almost the same thing.
Old January 8 2014, 03:45 AM   #6
Danny99
Vice Admiral

I'm liking it so far.

It's great to see Josh Holloway in a role that is enough like Sawyer that he taps into that same vein. Meghan Ory is a great foil for him with the same kind of wit. I'm not sold of Marg Helgenberger as the wooden superior, but who knows if she'll grow on me.

The technology is impressive, but is not infallible as seen when he has to wait for infrared radar and is shown off by great special effects.

I'll be interested to see where it goes.
Old January 8 2014, 03:56 AM   #7
Danny99
Vice Admiral

Danny99 wrote: View Post

I'm not sold of Marg Helgenberger as the wooden superior, but who knows if she'll grow on me.
Too late. She made Rosalind Chao look good!
Old January 8 2014, 04:04 AM   #8
Agent Richard07
Admiral

It got off to a very poor start with all that running around in the bush. I'm sure they wanted to hook the viewer with a lot of action but if I didn't know what this show was about, I would have turned it off. Too generic.

It got a little better though but it's not without its faults.

The Good: I like the cast. It's nice to see Josh Holloway and John Bellingsley again and they did well casting the requisite pretty girl with Meghan Ory. It was also a nice surprise to see Will Yun Lee and Rosalind Chao, who I couldn't place at first. I also like the premise. It's like John Doe except our resident know-it-all uses technology. I also like where they're going story-wise... Someone who's up to no good already put a chip in someone else so now we have a formidable enemy (and she may even be a reluctant one).

The Bad: Poor personal drama and generic cop drama.

The Verdict: The cast, the premise and the hook at the end are enough to make me want to check back but I wouldn't call this a great show.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 04:08 AM   #9
jayceee
Commander

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
It got off to a very poor start with all that running around in the bush. I'm sure they wanted to hook the viewer with a lot of action but if I didn't know what this show was about, I would have turned it off. Too generic.
I felt the same way.

I'll watch the next few episodes to see how things go, before dropping or continuing on with this show.
jayceee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 04:13 AM   #10
Skywalker
Admiral

I thought this was a decent first episode, though I agree those first few minutes were kind of weak. I didn't realize John Billingsley was in this; it's nice to see him on screen again. I'm also glad they came up with an explanation for why Gabriel is the guy carrying this supercomputer around in his head, even though it was kind of handwavey.

I liked it enough to give it a couple more episodes, see how it develops. I don't watch anything else on Mondays at 10 PM so at least there won't be any conflicts there.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 06:26 AM   #11
Bad Bishop
Vice Admiral

It's recording on my DVR right now.

Prediction: Lots of witty, snarky banter between Holloway and that younger actress every week.
Old January 9 2014, 03:11 AM   #12
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Of course... the guy they put the chip in is "reckless" and doesn't like "protocol." Because that's a good idea. Insert Eyeroll here.
Thanks, Professor Obvious, for pointing something out that's obviously going to be explained (and quite well) in the pilot.
M'rk, son of Mogh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:00 AM   #13
Skywalker
Admiral

Well, according to TV by the Numbers, the pilot drew 16.49 million viewers and a 2.4/6 rating/share. Not too bad at all. I'm not sure if they'll be able to sustain those kind of numbers on Mondays at 10 PM, though.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 07:14 PM   #14
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Awful.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 08:07 PM   #15
Q2UnME
Commodore

^ In your opinion. I actually quite enjoyed it. On second viewing, the visuals and CGI stuff was very well done. I also like the character interplay, though the "Director" (Marge) is a bit too wooden and one dimensional. Could use more development there. I'll hang around for a while. To me, it's better than S.H.E.I.L.D., but not quite as good as Sleepy Hallow.

Q2

Whiskey - Tango - Foxtrot
Q2UnME is offline   Reply With Quote