Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Tech

Trek Tech Pass me the quantum flux regulator, will you?

Old January 8 2014, 10:16 PM   #91
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: Forced perspective, painted backdrops and the refit Enterprise

I was going to mention the impracticality of the vertical isolation door when I first started this thread, but the opening post was quite long enough! I agree that the drama of the scene works extremely well with a vertical door, with it nearly stranding or crushing that hapless crewman! It would not have been the same with twin horizontal doors, even though that would have made more sense from a sensible design point in practically every way!

1) The area would be sealed off twice as fast
2) The horizontal conduit can be sealed externally (as well as via the internal seals, if neccessary)
3) The conduit can still function even with the door in place.
4) There isn't a single massive bulkhead on the deck above getting in the way most of the time.

And yes, there are small louvres visible on the vertical door which might permit the passage of warp energy along the conduit. But to imagine the louvres flip-flopping one after the other throught the conduit as the door descends seems an inelegant and overly complicated solution, IMHO.

Count me in for the campaign to install sensible doors on Enterprise-class starships!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 05:44 AM   #92
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Thank you for noting the refit is Enterprise-Class (Andy Probert proably thanks you too.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:26 PM   #93
Robert Comsol
Commodore

@ Mytran

Good practical considerations. However, a vertical isolation door would have trapped Midshipman Preston and the other cadet inside because the horizontal energy conduit would have blocked their escape route much sooner.

I think Nick Meyer deliberately wanted to create a Star Trek "Titanic" scene. Reliant's phaser cutting was the "iceberg" and the door that came down had all the characteristics of one of Titanic's bulkhead doors.

Come to think of it its hilarious. It almost looks like "Titanic" was plagiarizing ST II (well, the film score composer was the same, too ).

Now, are we going to have a new classification debate or do we accept the bridge simulator label?

Bob
Robert Comsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:43 PM   #94
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Not again please!

I agree that the horizontal door setup would have spelled doom for Preston & pal. However, the intention behind the design is to isolate as many of the crew as quickly as possible.
Sorry guys, too slow!

I don't know about Titanic allusions, but there certainly were a lot of vertical descending doors around back in the early 80's. Indianna Jones found plenty in the Temple of Doom!

They may not make much sense, but they make great scenes.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 03:14 PM   #95
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Ack! Another Constitution vs Enterprise class debate?!?!?

[Runs and hides]

Old January 9 2014, 06:13 PM   #96
Creepy Critter
Admiral

Mytran wrote: View Post
However, the intention behind the design is to isolate as many of the crew as quickly as possible.
Sorry guys, too slow!
Actually, I don't agree. Given the slowness of the door, my interpretation was that its slowness was a feature, intended to give the engine crew some time to get out, in situations when forcibly shutting down the intermix chamber was necessary.

Its main function was to shut down the reactor, for example when it became dangerously unstable. True, it evidently also served to isolate the aft of engineering when it became dangerously uninhabitable, but its slowness implied that there was an ethic that influenced the design, namely that they intended those back there to have their chance to get out. At least, that's my view.

Last edited by Creepy Critter; January 9 2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: oops
Creepy Critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 06:58 PM   #97
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Indeed. I don't think that quick-closing isolation doors like we saw on, say, the Death Star, would have been suitable for giving the crew time to evacuate. That, plus it would likely cause the 23rd century equivalent of OSHA fits if they malfunctioned occasionally and cut someone in half by mistake. Those things were frickin' dangerous!
Old January 9 2014, 08:08 PM   #98
Robert Comsol
Commodore

Mytran wrote: View Post
I don't know about Titanic allusions, but there certainly were a lot of vertical descending doors around back in the early 80's. Indianna Jones found plenty in the Temple of Doom!

They may not make much sense, but they make great scenes.
Agreed. The reason I mentioned the Titanic bulkhead doors was simply that when I watched the film I noticed that I had seen the same cogwheel moving mechanism before, namely in TWOK: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...twokhd0461.jpg

And, of course, again in TUC, another Nick Meyer film: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tuchd2288.jpg

(Can somebody please explain the "thing" in the middle of the TNG engine room set?)

Bob
Old January 9 2014, 08:26 PM   #99
Christopher
Writer

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
Indeed. I don't think that quick-closing isolation doors like we saw on, say, the Death Star, would have been suitable for giving the crew time to evacuate. That, plus it would likely cause the 23rd century equivalent of OSHA fits if they malfunctioned occasionally and cut someone in half by mistake. Those things were frickin' dangerous!
Well, it is called the Death Star...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:29 PM   #100
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well, yeah...
Old January 9 2014, 09:07 PM   #101
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote: View Post
And, of course, again in TUC, another Nick Meyer film: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tuchd2288.jpg

(Can somebody please explain the "thing" in the middle of the TNG engine room set?)

Bob
Is it like a mall's directory? Or, if it moves, is it the precursor to GQ's chompers? (I thought that was aboard EXCELSIOR, myself. Don't they show that right after she takes a hit?)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 10:05 PM   #102
Creepy Critter
Admiral

By the way, the horizontal doors between main engineering and the outer corridor also closed really slowly. Slowly enough for the guy carrying a pad or whatever to squeak through in TMP. (Apologies if already mentioned.)
Old January 9 2014, 11:46 PM   #103
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Robert Comsol wrote:

Bob
It's a schematic of the warp core, originally appearing in TNG: "Booby Trap". I think we're supposed to pretend it's holographic glass.

Something very similar (but with a pic of the Enterprise-D) appeared behind the tactical station on one of the "Parallels" Enterprises.
Old January 10 2014, 10:14 AM   #104
Robert Comsol
Commodore

^^ Good catch, thanks. I also just noted that the desk model variation of the refit Enterprise in the foreground looks like a cousin of the Constellation Class (e.g. Stargazer, Hathaway).

Did anyone ever do schematics of this variation?

Bob
Old January 10 2014, 03:36 PM   #105
blssdwlf
Commodore

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
By the way, the horizontal doors between main engineering and the outer corridor also closed really slowly. Slowly enough for the guy carrying a pad or whatever to squeak through in TMP. (Apologies if already mentioned.)
They're consistent

I do like the idea that the closing speed is deliberately set to very slow for the door in TWOK. I wonder what it was suppose to protect the crew from? The same horizontal shaft (and it's energy glow) is present in both the main room and the horizontal conduit room so it is unlikely the shaft itself.