Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old January 9 2014, 03:20 AM   #31
Velocity
Rear Admiral

Re: Catsuits/unitards in our future?

I think it all comes down to a logistical problem. How do you get out of those things in a bathroom emergency situation? Do future bathrooms accommodate timely wiggling out of catsuits?
Old January 9 2014, 03:27 AM   #32
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Velocity wrote: View Post
I think it all comes down to a logistical problem. How do you get out of those things in a bathroom emergency situation? Do future bathrooms accommodate timely wiggling out of catsuits?
Many years ago, a friend of mine wore a bodysuit as the basis for her costume (she had other items attached to it). She hadn't considered the problem of bathroom logistics when designing this outfit, and discovered that to use the bathroom, she'd have to take most of her costume off.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 03:39 AM   #33
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Velocity wrote: View Post
Many years ago, a friend of mine wore a bodysuit as the basis for her costume (she had other items attached to it). She hadn't considered the problem of bathroom logistics when designing this outfit, and discovered that to use the bathroom, she'd have to take most of her costume off.
Based on how the TNG Season 1 uniforms were constructed (I own one), use of the bathroom (especially when going #2) is accomplished nearly nude. Hardly efficient.
PicardSpeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 04:13 AM   #34
Timewalker

I can't even begin to imagine how you'd put on such a costume. How is it fastened together?

When our Star Trek club designed our own uniforms back in the late '80s, we did an original design that combined TOS, TNG, and TWOK plus a couple of original elements (it's a nicer look than it might sound). They were two pieces - definitely easy to put on and take off.

Old January 9 2014, 04:15 AM   #35
Lord Garth
Captain

PicardSpeedo wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post
MikeS wrote: View Post
. . . you're mistaken in thinking denim had "[fallen] out existence in the future". Kirk and Bones wear them on their camping trip in Star Trek V.
Actually, ZapBrannigan said the opposite.
ZapBrannigan wrote: View Post
. . . Blue jeans have been around since 1873 and there is no reason they should fall out of existence in the future, in favor of "Star Trek Civilian" -- a line of clothing that seldom looked real.

Capt. Pike also wore a blue denim outfit in "The Cage."

Playing devil's advocate here for a moment, since The Cage never aired, I don't know that it can be considered canon. Plus, the scene you reference was only a Talosian illusion.
"The Cage" aired in 1988.

It was also folded into "The Menagerie", which aired in 1966.
Lord Garth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 04:39 AM   #36
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

I can't even begin to imagine how you'd put on such a costume. How is it fastened together?

When our Star Trek club designed our own uniforms back in the late '80s, we did an original design that combined TOS, TNG, and TWOK plus a couple of original elements (it's a nicer look than it might sound). They were two pieces - definitely easy to put on and take off.
The TNG first-season costume was a single-piece jumpsuit. It has a very long zipper which runs from the low part of the crotch all the way to the top of the neck. There are two small hook closures semi-concealed at the top of the zipper, which bring the ends of the neck piping on either side together. To utilize the restroom, one must undo both closures and unzip the jumper all the way, and disrobe from it until it's around your ankles.

That can get chilly.
Old January 9 2014, 07:59 AM   #37
Olive, the Other Reindeer
Vice Admiral

Based on how the TNG Season 1 uniforms were constructed (I own one), use of the bathroom (especially when going #2) is accomplished nearly nude. Hardly efficient.
The uniforms should have had a "trapdoor" back flap like the old-fashioned union suit.
Old January 9 2014, 08:11 AM   #38
Timewalker

They should have consulted fan costume and SCA costume designers. It's a basic thing the experienced costumers drill into people: never design anything that prevents you from using the bathroom!

Old January 9 2014, 09:16 AM   #39
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

Not uncommon. Andrea Weaver told me that on TOS many of the actresses were sewn into their costumes and had to have a seam undone in order to visit the necessary.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 07:26 PM   #40
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

To utilize the restroom, one must undo both closures and unzip the jumper all the way, and disrobe from it until it's around your ankles.
So, no worse than mechanic's coveralls.

The "catsuit" I have (clubwear) has a small zipper that starts at the throat, goes down, under, and almost reaches the small of my back, just for the reason being discussed.

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 07:33 PM   #41
PicardSpeedo
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
Not uncommon. Andrea Weaver told me that on TOS many of the actresses were sewn into their costumes and had to have a seam undone in order to visit the necessary.
Allegedly, the most-hated costumes were the TMP costumes, which didn't function at all the way you'd expect. I may be remembering incorrectly, but I believe it was William Shatner who stated in one of the Star Trek novels that the TMP uniforms were so ridiculously constructed that, to use the bathroom, cast members had to get a stagehand to help them disrobe. One of the many rumored reasons that the uniforms were scrapped after only one movie.
Old January 9 2014, 07:52 PM   #42
Kathy Kringle
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kathy Kringle

I doubt it... a lot of the "Futuristic Fashion" seems way too implausible.

Dead Lazlo's Place
Kathy Kringle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 01:47 AM   #43
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

They should have consulted fan costume and SCA costume designers. It's a basic thing the experienced costumers drill into people: never design anything that prevents you from using the bathroom!
Ah, but part of the magic of SF TV is to create things that are not possible in the 21st century. That's why so many fanmade costumes never look right. Even professionally-tailored costumes can't replicate a TV costume as a "convention floor costume" that needs to be worn all day, survive eating/drinking and undergo multiple washes.

The original Gort robot suit in "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was made in two versions. In one, for walking towards the camera, the zipper was up the back. In the other, for walking away from the camera, the zipper was up the front. So it is impossible for a fan to replicate a Gort costume for the floor, or a costume parade, in exactly the same way as was featured onscreen.

to use the bathroom, cast members had to get a stagehand to help them disrobe. One of the many rumored reasons that the uniforms were scrapped after only one movie.
But, remember, the conceit for TMP was that Starfleet clothing was "spray and wear". We see it when the Ilia Probe arrives naked and Kirk programs a Deltan leisure outfit to be beamed onto her. Nicholas Meyer and Harve Bennett and others chose to ignore this futuristic aspect, showing Starfleet jackets with visible fasteners, etc. Even coathangers in ST III and uniforms in drawers in ST VI (and TNG)

As for those uniforms, many of them were dyed maroon for ST II-ST VI and given to the extras to wear!

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
I doubt it... a lot of the "Futuristic Fashion" seems way too implausible.
No, it's true.

You don't ever want your principal actors complaining, but extras are just extras. Similarly, when the TNG main cast got two-piece uniforms in Season Three, many background extras continued wearing the one-piece costumes.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2014, 02:10 AM   #44
iguana_tonante
Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Body modification: another thing I would never be into.
You shave you head, right? Hair is part of your body. So that's body modification, too.
Old January 10 2014, 02:32 AM   #45
Ru ru, chu
Fleet Admiral

View Ru ru, chu's Twitter Profile

^ Since hair grows back, I don't think that counts. Unless you're talking laser hair removal, which would probably be very unsafe when used on the head.

I meant things like tattoos, piercings, etc. That's what I'm not into.