The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 3 2014, 12:03 AM   #31
LMFAOschwarz
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan - Why did Kirk yell "KHAAAAAN!"?

Kirk1980 wrote: View Post
I even briefly get the idea Terrell and Kirk are at least, acquaintances. Kirk feels responsibility for all of this.
I thought that was interesting as I read it...until I remembered Terrell saying to Khan, "I've never even met Admiral Kirk."
LMFAOschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 09:40 PM   #32
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

I like to say Kirk is faking it because Kirk wouldn't necessarily be a very good actor. Thus the line delivery is less hilarious. However, if that is righteous anger, it's kind of comes off as way over the top. I'm a huge Shatner fan, but felt more like a TJ Hooker moment than a Kirk bit.

2takesfrakes wrote: View Post
Just an aside, here:

Am I the only one who noticed Kirstie Alley mouthing The Shat's lines on the bridge, before she stands up and delivers her "General Order 12" remark?
I give her credit for knowing her cue lines, but if you gotta do that, you're just not in the moment, ya know?
Old January 9 2014, 11:10 PM   #33
gottacook
Commander

The moment of "surprise and delight" when Kirk gets out his communicator and says to Spock "It's two hours - are you ready?" would surely have been ruined if in the earlier scene, Kirk had followed his "KHAAAN" outburst by turning to the others and saying "That should hold him for a while." So as a result we never get to find out whether this was part of Kirk's plan or not; to me it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14 2014, 09:24 PM   #34
Iamnotspock
Captain

gottacook wrote: View Post
The moment of "surprise and delight" when Kirk gets out his communicator and says to Spock "It's two hours - are you ready?" would surely have been ruined if in the earlier scene, Kirk had followed his "KHAAAN" outburst by turning to the others and saying "That should hold him for a while." So as a result we never get to find out whether this was part of Kirk's plan or not; to me it's a worthwhile tradeoff.
I suddenly have a vision of Kirk doing this without switching off the comm channel, a la Galaxy Quest.

Khan: "Perhaps it will not hold me for as long as you think?!"
Iamnotspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15 2014, 02:39 PM   #35
Smellmet
Captain

I still think the anger was real in the movie regardless of what he had up his sleeve - he'd just had his ship attacked with loss of life - he'd found people hanging from the ceiling with their throats cut, seen two of his officers driven insane through torture with one of them committing suicide in front of him, his son attack him because of this whole sorry episode, then to to it off the perpetrator taunts him about it.

I'd say Jim had plenty reason to be pissed off at that point.

He had no idea even if the Reliant had hunted the Enterprise down and destroyed it in the 2 hours either his plan hadn't worked at that stage. He looked pretty down to me i the scenes that followed don't you think?
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 11:56 AM   #36
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

The reason William Shatner yelled "Khannnnnnnnn" is that it's part of the Shatner repertroire of acting skills.

If you're really brave, listen to his musical skills. I dare ya.
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 12:04 PM   #37
Robbiesan
Lieutenant Commander

An unusual genre of singing unique to William Shatner. Note the bizarre shouting that's not that different from yelling "Khannnnnn!"

Last edited by Robbiesan; January 16 2014 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling and editing removes youtube clips
Robbiesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 12:51 PM   #38
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Kirk yelled Khaan possibly because he was trying to fool Khan into thinking that he was frustrated, and didn't know what to do, so that Khan wouldn't suspect anything.
Runetouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2014, 01:05 PM   #39
Smellmet
Captain

^Look at my avatar - he meant it alright regardless of what he had up his sleeve, you could see the anger build in his face - who's benefit was that 'act' for?
Old January 24 2014, 10:34 PM   #40
Spockkirk
Lieutenant

You are right, Smellmet and by the way I love your avatar!!!!
Spockkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2014, 01:10 PM   #41
Smellmet
Captain

Thank you. I think the only realistic answer to this thread is that it's 'a bit of both' Kirk was playing Khan, no question, but Khan still pushed Kirk's buttons in the yell scene, of that I am sure. If the yell was fake any normal person would have turned to the group and said 'that'll fool the chump' - as far as the rest of the landing party were concerned, they were stranded there, possibly for a long time if the Enterprise gets destroyed, and who's to say Khan and his guys wouldn't beam down and finish them off after dealing with the Enterprise?
Old January 26 2014, 02:42 PM   #42
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

Smellmet wrote: View Post
^Look at my avatar - he meant it alright regardless of what he had up his sleeve, you could see the anger build in his face - who's benefit was that 'act' for?
Have you ever seen Kirk lose his temper like that? I mean, in TOS or something? By that sort of thing, Kirk was overreacting, and while Shatner may be an over-actor, this was way too much ham. No, I am sure that Kirk was pretending to be frustrated.
Old January 26 2014, 07:47 PM   #43
Smellmet
Captain

Disagree, he lost his shit in TOS quite a lot, but why not tell the people who he was with of his plan? Why let them think all hope is lost?

That's a cunt's trick
Old January 27 2014, 12:13 PM   #44
Runetouch
Lieutenant Commander

He never lost his temper like that in TOS. The closest was in 'Enemy Within' and that was the evil Kirk.
Old January 27 2014, 01:39 PM   #45
Smellmet
Captain

I watched an episode only the other week where Kirk lost his temper - he had to fight someone in a cell and the plot of the episode was similar to 'Insurrection' can't recall the name of the episode.

I still maintain at that moment Khan was pushing the guys buttons - look what had happened in the run up to that scene, in all the years of watching TWOK (I reckon I've seen it 100 times) I've never once thought that Kirk was putting it on as part of his plan