New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old January 9 2014, 05:16 PM   #31
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Re: Tablet games that aren't awful?

B.J. wrote: View Post
Speaking of Lemmings, I don't know why the original game hasn't been ported into a mobile game. Seems like a touch screen device would be perfect for it.
That's what Cavemen was supposed to be, until the lawyers showed up.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 06:15 PM   #32
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

Keep an eye on the Humble Bundle site...
They had 8 or 9 android bundles with some great games...
And most of them had PC ports as well, so the Steam keys for those are included as well...
Old January 9 2014, 06:30 PM   #33
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Speaking of those bundles, some games I forgot to mention that have PC ports but are also decent on tablets:

* EDGE
* Crayon Physics Deluxe
* Nightsky
* Osmos
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 07:08 PM   #34
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

I own an iPad and the game I've played most (by far) is Fairway Solitare.
Old January 9 2014, 07:13 PM   #35
Captain Kathryn
Commodore

Location: In Star Trek / Doctor Who fantasy land aka New Jersey
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Kathryn

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
Speaking of those bundles, some games I forgot to mention that have PC ports but are also decent on tablets:

* EDGE
* Crayon Physics Deluxe
* Nightsky
* Osmos
When you wrote Nightsky it reminded me of a great App I use called "Night Sky" where it allows you to move your iPad/iPhone around and see which stars/planets are currently in the sky in real-time. I find it fun and useful.
Old January 9 2014, 08:16 PM   #36
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well I can definately recomend Waking Mars. Simple mechanics, but a very interesting SF premise as you wander around beneath the Martian surface interractign with the plant like lifeforms with your perky AI companion. Its a bit pricy at $4.99, but at least I know they won't be bugging me for micro-transactions.

I'd like to try the companies other game, Spider: the Mystery of Bryce Manor, but for some reason I get a "Not compatible with your device" error. *scratches head*
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 08:31 PM   #37
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post
When you wrote Nightsky it reminded me of a great App I use called "Night Sky" where it allows you to move your iPad/iPhone around and see which stars/planets are currently in the sky in real-time. I find it fun and useful.

Yeah, I used to use Google Skymaps until I upgraded to the Tab 3 where it doesn't work well, and found one called Star Chart which is prettier but does the same thing.

Oh and yeah, Cutter. The disadvantage of having so many different Android devices, is that you'll often encounter apps that aren't compatible with certain devices. I guess that's another reason why app developers prefer developing for iOS.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 09:01 PM   #38
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I guess you're right. But there's no way in Hell I'm buying an iPad.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 10:51 PM   #39
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I'm with you there. I'm comfortable with what I have right now.
Old January 13 2014, 09:58 PM   #40
Stoo
Captain

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
* Nightsky
Oh, played this on windows, didn't realise it was available for android. I'd recommend it also. Puzzle-platformer again (honestly, expect a lot of these in indie gaming), rolling a mysterious sphere to its destination, quiet and contemplative atmosphere.
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 03:51 PM   #41
Tribble puncher
Commander

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Captain Kathryn wrote: View Post

Yeah, I used to use Google Skymaps until I upgraded to the Tab 3 where it doesn't work well, and found one called Star Chart which is prettier but does the same thing.

Oh and yeah, Cutter. The disadvantage of having so many different Android devices, is that you'll often encounter apps that aren't compatible with certain devices. I guess that's another reason why app developers prefer developing for iOS.
Oh and I recommend "Star Traders RPG" if its not already on this thread. Great Space RPG sandbox game. Huge Universe/Tons of things to do/Cheap (2.00)/ Nothings extra to buy/ Game has been out for years and Dev. still bends over backwards to do updates (Not to fix bugs there are none that I've seen, But to add content.) It was the first andriod app. I ever paid for, and I still play it on occasion now.

The reason Devs love developing for iOS is there are a lot of people that will pay serious money to be seen with that shiny metal Apple stamped on the back of their device.
Tribble puncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16 2014, 04:11 PM   #42
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

It's kind of strange how addictive Smurf's Village is. It's in the farmville tradition, with smurfs. Now, it *is* a freemium game, but unlike a lot of them you can get a reasonable amount of premium currency for free in a variety of ways. It just takes some patience.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 03:30 AM   #43
Orac
Admiral

Plants Vs Zombies 2

ENTER | TOS Avatar Contest #52: The Omega Glory
Orac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20 2014, 09:18 PM   #44
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

One of the most annoying things I find about tablet games are the offers that pop up after launching the game. Seriously, 5 pop ups offering deals? Just let me get to the freaking game! It can take sometimes up to 2 minutes before I can even click on playing field.
Old January 20 2014, 10:37 PM   #45
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Is XCOM available on Android? It was, hands down, the best gaming experience I've had on a tablet to date. Fantastic gameplay, excellent visuals, etc. Other notable mentions include:

Starbase: Orion. An entirely competent Master of Orion clone.
Kingdom Rush/Frontiers. Probably the best casual TD games that I've ever played. Great unit selection, really fun graphics.
Real Racing 3. Probably the best tablet racer to date. The free-to-play mechanics are frustrating for the first few hours of the game until you can afford a second car. Then it's smooth sailing.
The Walking Dead Season 1. Great story and adventure games are well-suited to touch-gaming.
Anomaly: Warzone. TD game from the creeps perspective. Good gameplay, fantastic visuals.

I have no idea if any/all of these games are available on Android. The iPad definitely has a better selection of games than its rivals.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
The Stig is offline   Reply With Quote