Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old January 7 2014, 06:24 PM   #46
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

Re: Star trek 13 villain

The Stig wrote: View Post
Borgified Klingons.
The Borgified genetically engineered Romulan-Klingon hybrid offspring of Captain Picard and Khan *and* Billy Joel.
Old January 7 2014, 08:02 PM   #47
Hythlodeus
Commander

Klingonified Borg interest me more, I have to admit.

Do Jem'Hadar count as klingonified Borg?
Hythlodeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 09:24 PM   #48
Lonemagpie
Writer

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
You know, every Star Trek story does not require a villain at all.
Yeah, I'd like to see the "villain" be something like a natural phenomenon (e.g the giant space amoeba), or even just the situation the characters are in.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 11:20 PM   #49
JWPlatt
Lieutenant Commander

USS Triumphant wrote: View Post
Borgified Klingons.
The Borgified genetically engineered Romulan-Klingon hybrid offspring of Captain Picard and Khan *and* Billy Joel.
My first time through I read that as Billy Jack. That might be better for action.
JWPlatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 12:31 AM   #50
USS Triumphant
Rear Admiral

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Borgified Klingons.
My first time through I read that as Billy Jack. That might be better for action.
Maybe, but Billy Joel does go to extremes, and he may be crazy, so I'm not sure.

(Thanks. Been waiting for a setup for the rest of this. )
Old January 8 2014, 05:35 AM   #51
Lance
Commodore

Who should be the Villain in star trek 13.
Admiral Marcus, via the Borg. Oh sure, his head was popped open like a piece of candy. But they could still bring him back. He could be part man, part machine - all Admiral.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 06:55 AM   #52
mattman8907
Lieutenant Commander

Lance wrote: View Post
Who should be the Villain in star trek 13.
Admiral Marcus, via the Borg. Oh sure, his head was popped open like a piece of candy. But they could still bring him back. He could be part man, part machine - all Admiral.
and he could be like "Crew of the Enterprise, Dead or Alive you're coming with me."
mattman8907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 07:11 AM   #53
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

JWPlatt wrote: View Post
Maybe, but Billy Joel does go to extremes, and he may be crazy, so I'm not sure.
You may be right.
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 09:50 AM   #54
CommishSleer
Fleet Captain

View CommishSleer's Twitter Profile

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post
You know, every Star Trek story does not require a villain at all.
Yeah, I'd like to see the "villain" be something like a natural phenomenon (e.g the giant space amoeba), or even just the situation the characters are in.
I agree.
Lets see the guys be heroic where they're forced to risk something important - a partner, the ship, their reputation. Maybe we should go back to something like the 'Forbidden Planet' where the enemy's within.
I don't see why two protagonists have to fight it out in fisticuffs. Yawn
CommishSleer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 11:53 AM   #55
anh165
Commander

Smellmet wrote: View Post
Disagree, I'd love to see a decent fight between the Enterprise and a comparable Klingon cruiser, where Kirks cunning and tactical abilities come into play, instead of them fighting a ridiculous black ship the size of the death star and they save the day in some implausible last minute way.

This next movie needs Kirk to be awesome...
If a fully functional Enterprise (in a movie context) engages a mere Klingon cruiser, or anything of equal ability, it will be a boring exchange of fire ..."evasive action, return fire, shields down to 80% blah blah blah" zzzzzzz, this display of tactical engagement goes on until something from the plot occurs to progress to the next scene.

It would be a waste of screen time as it add nothing to the story.
Old January 8 2014, 08:41 PM   #56
Smellmet
Commander

Not that I was going into specifics too much, but the enterprise and the reliant were comparable vessels in TWOK - didn't stop that being an epic, entertaining battle, thats more the kind of thing I have in mind for ST3. I just want to see the Enterprise in proper action as we're 2 films in and it's been lacking somewhat for me so far.
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 09:26 PM   #57
Richard Baker
Commander

Regardless of which universe, the past three movies have been about the Enterprise fighting a ridiculously oversized super-ship captained by a nut-job.
No single villain, no "only ship available to respond" perhaps a fleet battle between the Federation and the Klingon Empire would be nice, have the Enterprise be the hero by taking advantage of a situation and winning the day for all.

I would say have a movie about exploring something interesting during the five year voyage, but those at the helm of the franchise now just want butts to fill the theater seats and explosions do that...
Richard Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 10:23 PM   #58
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Not that I was going into specifics too much, but the enterprise and the reliant were comparable vessels in TWOK - didn't stop that being an epic, entertaining battle, thats more the kind of thing I have in mind for ST3. I just want to see the Enterprise in proper action as we're 2 films in and it's been lacking somewhat for me so far.
I don't think they were. If Khan doesn't catch Kirk with his pants down, he doesn't survive the opening engagement.

In my opinion.
Old January 8 2014, 11:19 PM   #59
Smellmet
Commander

Agreed, but at least it wasn't the Enterprise vs Big Black ship, the battles in TWOK were great because of these circumstances, like you said Kirk getting caught with his pants down, made up for Khans lack of starship experience and evened the odds so to speak, which is what made it so interesting
Smellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:46 PM   #60
anh165
Commander

Agreed, but at least it wasn't the Enterprise vs Big Black ship, the battles in TWOK were great because of these circumstances, like you said Kirk getting caught with his pants down, made up for Khans lack of starship experience and evened the odds so to speak, which is what made it so interesting
It worked because it suited the character of a middle aged Kirk and the villain he was up against, also not mention that it was not done in Trek before on the silver screen before.

Any following space battle in future movies always seem to steal elements of those scenes in TWOK.

As recent movies go, at least when the Vengeance attacked the Enterprise, there was some story telling value to it as in Kirk and his ship faced being vulnerable, helpless and out of their depth, rather than some display to "show off" the hero ship which is what FC, Nemesis and Insurrection were guilty of.