Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old January 7 2014, 10:30 PM   #16
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Re: Doctor Who set/on location reports thread

One looked too Sherlock Holmes

Another looked like Matt Smith going to an outdoor concert(Black Vest and white shirt)
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7 2014, 10:49 PM   #17
Wereghost
Part-time poltergeist

Moffat is quoted in Digital Spy's article on the location filming:

Lead writer and executive producer Steven Moffat added: "First the eyebrows! Then, at Christmas, the face!

"Coming soon, the whole Doctor. In the Cardiff studios, the Capaldi era begins."
Old January 8 2014, 12:51 AM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Is anyone else getting a "Third Doctor and Sarah" vibe off that shot of Capaldi and Coleman? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. But I think they look good together. I like the juxtaposition of the older man and younger woman, which evokes the early Doctors. We've had enough pseudo-romantic Doctor-companion pairings this decade; I'd like to see more of a father-daughter or mentor-pupil type of relationship for a change.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:00 AM   #19
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah it'd be nice to have some companions again who don't secretly have the hots for the Doctor (even though I understand Moffat's reasoning that it's only natural given what a mysterious and exciting figure the Doctor can be).
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:11 AM   #20
sttngfan1701d
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
Is anyone else getting a "Third Doctor and Sarah" vibe off that shot of Capaldi and Coleman? Maybe just wishful thinking on my part. But I think they look good together. I like the juxtaposition of the older man and younger woman, which evokes the early Doctors. We've had enough pseudo-romantic Doctor-companion pairings this decade; I'd like to see more of a father-daughter or mentor-pupil type of relationship for a change.
That's what my friend said. I showed him the regeneration scene and he said "I like them together. I'd watch the show if it was them...older professor-type guy, unsure young girl. It was stupid before when they had the two younger doctors hopping around. But this guy looks older and wiser. I like that better."

....and he HATES the show!

For my part, I kinda like it too. I mean, I liked the idea of Clara and the 11th Doctor as a romantic pairing because she seemed really suited to him, and she was exactly what he needed after the pain of the Ponds' leaving. They were adorable together (much better than 9 and 10/Rose IMO). But with Smith/11 gone now, I think it will be interesting to see how Clara adjusts. She has to go from being in love with a young guy to more of an older/younger colleague dynamic. I think she'll still try to be "Clara" and call him on his shenanigans, but she'll be more of the "pupil" with Capaldi.

Should be fun to watch.
sttngfan1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:22 PM   #21
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Another site I follow (I think I posted the link in the 'new direction' thread) showed a similar pose by Three and a companion (brain fart at the minute so I can't remember who); him pointing into the distance and her standing by his left. So it's not just you who's getting that vibe.
Old January 8 2014, 01:36 PM   #22
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
One looked too Sherlock Holmes
I liked the Sherlock-esque costume a lot. Not as much as the jacket and bow-tie, true, but it was a look that I thought really worked for Matt

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 01:50 PM   #23
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Another site I follow (I think I posted the link in the 'new direction' thread) showed a similar pose by Three and a companion (brain fart at the minute so I can't remember who); him pointing into the distance and her standing by his left. So it's not just you who's getting that vibe.
The Doctor and Jo, maybe?

We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 02:02 PM   #24
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

^ Ooh, very cool. I don't think it's a shot that he'll recreate while filming (I think they're just having a conversation), but it would great if he does that and it's a deliberate tribute.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Capaldi looks more and more right to me as the Doctor with each picture I see. I'm really curious how he's going to play the role. Only have to wait for...damn...
With the recent reports of him being a superfan, I have more confidence that it'll be different than recent Doctors and, to be honest, that it's something he's thought quite a bit about. I'm sensing momentum for someone closer to Pertwee than Troughton or Tom Baker, but my guess is it'll be a mixture of all and something new as well (although I suspect an emphasis of certain Doctors over others).
Old January 8 2014, 02:40 PM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

@ Gov Kodos, yes it was the second of those photos which accompanied the article as a 'compare/contrast.' Thanks.
Old January 8 2014, 02:55 PM   #26
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
@ Gov Kodos, yes it was the second of those photos which accompanied the article as a 'compare/contrast.' Thanks.
Your welcome, it's Jo Grant, played by Katy Manning in case the memory is still escaping.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2014, 02:59 PM   #27
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^The brain fart has now passed, thanks!
Old January 8 2014, 11:29 PM   #28
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
Ha! My prediction in this post that Capaldi's premiere would feature Vastra and her gang turns out to be true.

Mind you, it seemed pretty obvious, all things considered and I'm surprised more people didn't predict it.
I did!

Mr awe
Mr Awe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:33 AM   #29
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

Some additional set images have been posted on Twitter, you can see them here.
"Human beings worship the great god Santa, a creature with fearsome claws, and his wife Mary. And every Christmas Eve, the people of UK go to war with the country of Turkey. They then eat the Turkey people for Christmas dinner like savages."
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2014, 02:50 AM   #30
Redfern
Commodore

Whoa! Starkey in Strax makeup but without his usual armor or Victorian era suit just looks bizarre, like he's morbidly obese!

https://twitter.com/AshleysFilms/sta...276864/photo/1

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote